Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes religion have a place in Prog music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:33
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I think my first post answered that.  At least for me.  It's 100% up to the artist how he defines his music and what lyrics he feels are appropriate.  So does religion belong in prog?  To the extent that prog artists determine it does, then yes.
I wasn't really addressing you Doc, I was just talking out loud. So, perhaps it's time to call it a day. LOL

Edited by SteveG - August 05 2014 at 18:34
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:33

Preachy to me = lyrics that sound like a sermon (you know, preachers preach on Sundays to crowds of people).  If I feel the lyrics could be something that preacher says on Sunday, they are preachy. 

By the way, I understand your point now on Christian music, but Christian rock, Christian metal are things.  And they are usually called that by its practitioners as well as the media.  I'm sure if you asked Neal if he did Christian prog, he would give an unqualified "yes".

And if you asked certain members of the clergy if Morse wrote Christian prog, they'd give an unqualified "No" (as Morse is not a Trinitarian).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:35
^how do you know he's not a Trinitarian?

Edited by SteveG - August 05 2014 at 18:37
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:39
I don't think religion should have a place in anything art, politic etc. He divided people, and music, especially should be the ultimate art to unite people. I have to say  that the lyrics in Neal Morse bother me, but i keep listening to his music, because you can be inspired by religion to make interesting music. I have been used to not give the same importance to lyrics and music, but in the Morse case, i think it's so important to him that you can't make abstraction of it.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:43
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

He said so.

For what it's worth, my beliefs are similar to his, and I've been told I wasn't a Christian multiple times.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:43
[QUOTE=rdtprog]I don't think religion should have a place in anything art, politic etc. He divided people, and music, especially should be the ultimate art to unite people. I have to say  that the lyrics in Neal Morse bother me, but i keep listening to his music, because you can be inspired by religion to make interesting music. I have been used to not give the same importance to lyrics and music, but in the Morse case, i think it's so important to him that you can't make abstraction of it.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       You don't think religion should be in music but you still listen to Morse's music. Forgive me but I'm a bit tired and a little confused by your answer, RT.

Edited by SteveG - August 05 2014 at 18:48
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:44
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

He said so.

For what it's worth, my beliefs are similar to his, and I've been told I wasn't a Christian multiple times.

OK E, I just wanted to see more clearly what his beliefs were.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:49

[QUOTE=rdtprog]I don't think religion should have a place in anything art, politic etc. He divided people, and music, especially should be the ultimate art to unite people. I have to say  that the lyrics in Neal Morse bother me, but i keep listening to his music, because you can be inspired by religion to make interesting music. I have been used to not give the same importance to lyrics and music, but in the Morse case, i think it's so important to him that you can't make abstraction of it.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       You don't think religion should be in music but you still listen to Morse's music. Forgive me but I'm a bit tired and a little confused by your answer, RT.

Sometimes my mother talks about religion, but i love the meals she made..Wink
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:55

It didn't take much to stir up this hornets nest, did it? .
All it took was the word "religion" in the thread title.  Come on, you saw it coming. LOL

As for the thread question, sure, however you want to express yourself through music or lyrics, have at it.  I won't judge you.  I may not buy your albums, but I won't judge you.

I think of "religion" in a broad sense, btw, whatever you believe and feel strongly about beyond the empirical world, if anything.  I don't single out so-called Christian artists just because they're the most visible in our culture.  Religion isn't all about preaching at people - for some it's a private and intimate matter.  And that kind of thing is certainly more than appropriate for a song.

Edited by HolyMoly - August 05 2014 at 19:01
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:03
I have a more pressing question...does Dungeons & Dragons belong in prog?  Tongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:19

^Sorry Smart, I don't follow you. Could you expand a bit?
If the writers of the music want incorporate religion into their music then sure
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:24
Any subject matter has a place in Prog so why not religion. ELP's "The Only Way" is a perfect example. But here's the crux, those lyrics are about holding religion accountable, sort of anti-religion. Not what Neal Morris is doing with his lyrics to be sure. But religion nevertheless.

So in answer to the direct question Does religion have a place in Prog music? the answer is ABSOLUTELY. Now if the question was "Does preaching the word of the bible have a place in prog?" I may have to say no as I'm no fan of anyone preaching to me in any form, music, film or otherwise. But artists use religion as subject matter all the time. Myself included.

In the words of the Roman soldiers...
"Nailed it!"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:24
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

2 + 2 = praise Jesus!  

But seriously, what would you call music whose lyrics are Christian-centered, like Neal Morse's?

Rock music.  Or country music.  Or rap music.  Or metal.  Or polka.  All of these genres have Christian lyricists.  "Christian" as an adjective for music just isn't useful when describing the music.  

I've seen Kerry Livgren's One of Several Possible Musiks labeled as "Christian."  Why?  It's instrumental.  Confused

I've never heard Rush being called "Objectivist Rock."  I've never heard Pink Floyd being called "Anti-Capitalist Rock."
Wellll. Christian music exists and a whole lot of people are going to take a whole lot of convincing before they believe otherwise. Denying its existence is like saying that there's no such thing as christian books or christian art. Christian music has existed for hundreds of years - whether that is a hymn or a plainsong or a gregorian chant or a mass or a carol or gospel music or christian rock (or rap or metal or hip hop or folk or polka). It is not a genre I will grant you that, but that does not mean it cannot exist, it does not have to be a style of music to exist. Just as children's music is a category and not a style or genre, and love songs are songs that are genre non-specific songs and have "love" as their theme, christian music is a category of music that has a christian theme. That theme can be praise, worship, prayer or testimony; it can preach and/or proselytise; it can be moralistic; it can be a narrative; it can contain a message and it can sermonise but in all those things it is centred around christianity. 

The term christian rock was not invented by secular musicologists so we atheists can avoid it, (thou' at times it is nice to be forewarned), it was a term coined by christians and christian musicians back in the mid-1960s (also known as Jesus music and later as contemporary christian music) ~ 'christian' may not be a useful adjective for describing the music, 'christian music' a damn useful noun-phrase for those who are looking for it ~ which is I guess why fans of christian music even have their own version of the PA (www.christianmusicarchive.com).

...and Preachy? It's not a silly adjective it's a (mainly) derogatory one, but I've never heard any of Morse's lyrics since Snow to say whether that is correctly used in relation to his solo material. Religious lyrics can 'have a tendency to give moral advice in a tedious or self-righteous way', (ie 'preachy'), then so can non-religious lyrics. Like every episode of The Cosby Show had to contain a life lesson, to a non-christian overtly christian lyrics do sound preachy or proselytising, sorry but that's just how it is I'm afraid.

Not knowing who Kerry Livgren is I assume he is (well?) known as a christian artist and has release other albums with lyrics that have a christian theme. If a christian artist releases an instrumental album it would not surprise me to see it filed under christian music with all his other albums, indeed it would musicology inaccurate but as a cataloguing it would be logical.

What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:53
Everything has a place in prog music. If Jon Anderson gets away with the stupid lyrics he usually writes for his music, I don't see why other people can't write about anything they want, including religion. 
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:57

I have a more pressing question...does Dungeons & Dragons belong in prog?  Tongue

Don't know, but it kind of belongs in metal, LOL. LOL

Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Wellll. Christian music exists and a whole lot of people are going to take a whole lot of convincing before they believe otherwise.

A whole of lot of people taking a whole of of convincing before they believe otherwise...

...that seems oddly familiar.

Denying its existence is like saying that there's no such thing as christian books or christian art.  Christian music has existed for hundreds of years - whether that is a hymn or a plainsong or a gregorian chant or a mass or a carol or gospel music or christian rock (or rap or metal or hip hop or folk or polka). It is not a genre I will grant you that, but that does not mean it cannot exist, it does not have to be a style of music to exist. Just as children's music is a category and not a style or genre, and love songs are songs that are genre non-specific songs and have "love" as their theme, christian music is a category of music that has a christian theme. That theme can be praise, worship, prayer or testimony; it can preach and/or proselytise; it can be moralistic; it can be a narrative; it can contain a message and it can sermonise but in all those things it is centred around christianity.

There are Christian lyrics and Christian intentions and Christian receptions but never Christian music.  Just because a particular set of people used music for a religious purpose does not make it religious music.  Many old Christian hymns are songs written to secular music.  John Wesley's "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" is a famous example, borrowed from Dryden's and Purcell's King Arthur (Venus is the original singer).  So if you played the melody of "Fairest Isle" to a Methodist, the hearer would may well have a religious interpretation.  If you played it to a Dryden scholar, the hearer may well have a secular interpretation.

The term christian rock was not invented by secular musicologists so we atheists can avoid it, (thou' at times it is nice to be forewarned), it was a term coined by christians and christian musicians back in the mid-1960s (also known as Jesus music and later as contemporary christian music) ~ 'christian' may not be a useful adjective for describing the music, 'christian music' a damn useful noun-phrase for those who are looking for it ~ which is I guess why fans of christian music even have their own version of the PA (www.christianmusicarchive.com).

Those who are looking for it are not looking for Christian music- they're looking for Christian lyrics.  "Christian music" is a misnomer, which is what I've been saying. 

...and Preachy? It's not a silly adjective it's a (mainly) derogatory one, but I've never heard any of Morse's lyrics since Snow to say whether that is correctly used in relation to his solo material. Religious lyrics can 'have a tendency to give moral advice in a tedious or self-righteous way', (ie 'preachy'), then so can non-religious lyrics. Like every episode of The Cosby Show had to contain a life lesson, to a non-christian overtly christian lyrics do sound preachy or proselytising, sorry but that's just how it is I'm afraid.

I've been on this forum a while, and I've never heard the adjective "preachy" used with regard to anybody except Neal Morse.  And if I've forgotten it, I've never seen the term apply to any lyrics other than Christian.  As I mentioned earlier, Jon Anderon records "preachy" things with some frequency, but I've never seen anyone apply that adjective to him.

Not knowing who Kerry Livgren is I assume he is (well?) known as a christian artist and has release other albums with lyrics that have a christian theme. If a christian artist releases an instrumental album it would not surprise me to see it filed under christian music with all his other albums, indeed it would musicology inaccurate but as a cataloguing it would be logical.

He's not well-known at all, really.

An instrumental album going into the "Christian Music" section only shows that such labels are to market albums, not to describe the music.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 20:09
Today, the term "Christian music" denotes an industry, not a genre or even a lyrical classification; many so-called "Christian" bands are merely bands with vaguely spiritual lyrics that remain entrenched in the "Christian" music industry, whether for the money or the fanbase or what have you.  Although there are of course artists outside of this industry who label themselves "Christian," the label is broadly and overwhelmingly wrapped up in marketing and industry.

This isn't exactly unprecedented; Motown was originally the name of a record company, not the description of a sound, but at least in that case the term evolved to mean the particular sound associated with that company.  For those who would prefer that we classify music according to itself rather than its industrial background, the label "Christan music," as it is used today, poses a problem.  For Christians who deplore the industrialization and compartmentalization of their faith, the label also poses a problem, as it not only uses the word "Christian" as a marketing tool but also takes the music of artists who write about their faith out of the musical "marketplace of ideas" and into the Christian subculture. 

While classical musicians do classify certain pieces as sacred music due to their religious texts or functions, this label does not share any of the above characteristics with the modern "Christian" label and thus is really not the same thing at all.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 20:22
Hoesntly I don't even really understand the question. Is there a committee that decides what goes in prog albums and what doesn't?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 20:39
Sure.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 20:51
In every art does not matter "what", it is "how". And so Van Gogh's Sunflowers painting is crazier and darker than many images of e.g. Fantastic art painters who are keen to be "dark". It's the same thing with the music.

Religiosity of an artist, as an inspiration, can provide great results, and also can be a crap. Of course, it all depends on the artist and of his personal inspiration only, and "heavenly powers" have nothing to do with that, even "satan" does not help the artists because it belongs to the world of the human imagination and Hollywood.

The fact is that some singer-songwriters are very religious in one way or another, and some of them were recorded the great songs in praise of what they believe. e.g. This song is very religious but magnificent too, and I said that as an atheist fundamentalist.

It is another matter how it is actually possible that a brilliant mind like Mr Townshend really believes in the fairy tales created by one Pakistani collector of Rolls-Royces.

Edited by Svetonio - August 05 2014 at 21:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>