Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes religion have a place in Prog music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 22:08
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I have a more pressing question...does Dungeons & Dragons belong in prog?  Tongue

Considering I got into prog because a D&D (well more accurately GURPS) group I was in had ELP, Tull and VDGG albums on when we played, I'm going with yes...

Edited by Battlepriest - August 05 2014 at 22:08
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 22:18
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Wellll. Christian music exists and a whole lot of people are
going to take a whole lot of convincing before they believe otherwise.
A whole of lot of people taking a whole of of convincing before they believe otherwise......that seems oddly familiar.

Denying
its existence is like saying that there's no such thing as christian
books or christian art.  Christian music has existed for hundreds of
years - whether that
is a hymn or a plainsong or a gregorian chant or a mass or a carol or
gospel music or christian rock (or rap or metal or hip hop or folk or
polka). It is not a genre I will grant you that, but that does not mean
it cannot exist, it does not have to be a style of music to exist. Just
as children's music is a category and not a style or genre, and love
songs are songs that are genre non-specific songs and have "love" as
their theme, christian music<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"> is a category of music that has a christian theme</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">.
That theme can be praise, worship, prayer or testimony; it can preach
and/or proselytise; it can be moralistic; it can be a narrative; it can
contain a message and it can sermonise but in all those things it is
centred around christianity. </span>
There
are Christian lyrics and Christian intentions and Christian receptions
but never Christian music.  Just because a particular set of people used
music for a religious purpose does not make it religious music.  Many
old Christian hymns are songs written to secular music.  John Wesley's
"Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" is a famous example, borrowed from
Dryden's and Purcell's King Arthur (Venus is the original
singer).  So if you played the melody of "Fairest Isle" to a Methodist,
the hearer would may well have a religious interpretation.  If you
played it to a Dryden scholar, the hearer may well have a secular
interpretation.

<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">The
term christian rock was not invented by secular musicologists so we
atheists can avoid it, (thou' at times it is nice to be forewarned), it
was a term coined by christians and christian musicians back in the
mid-1960s (also known as Jesus music and later as </span>contemporary<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"> christian
music) ~ 'christian' may not be a useful adjective for describing the
music, 'christian music' a damn useful noun-phrase for those who are
looking for it ~ which is I guess why fans of christian music even have
their own version of the PA (</span>www.christianmusicarchive.com)<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">.
Those
who are looking for it are not looking for Christian music- they're
looking for Christian lyrics.  "Christian music" is a misnomer, which is
what I've been saying. 
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">

<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>...and
Preachy? It's not a silly adjective it's a (mainly) derogatory one, but
I've never heard any of Morse's lyrics since Snow to say whether that
is correctly used in relation to his solo material. Religious lyrics can
'h</span>ave a tendency to give moral advice in a tedious or self-righteous way<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">',
(ie 'preachy'), then so can non-religious lyrics. Like every episode of
The Cosby Show had to contain a life lesson, to a non-christian overtly
christian lyrics do sound preachy or proselytising, sorry but that's
just how it is I'm afraid.
I've
been on this forum a while, and I've never heard the adjective
"preachy" used with regard to anybody except Neal Morse.  And if I've
forgotten it, I've never seen the term apply to any lyrics other than
Christian.  As I mentioned earlier, Jon Anderon records "preachy" things
with some frequency, but I've never seen anyone apply that adjective to
him.
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>

<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>Not
knowing who Kerry Livgren is I assume he is (well?) known as a
christian artist and has release other albums with lyrics that have a
christian theme. If a christian artist releases an instrumental album it
would not surprise me to see it filed under christian music with all
his other albums, indeed it would musicology inaccurate but as a
cataloguing it would be logical.
He's not well-known at all, really.An
instrumental album going into the "Christian Music" section only shows
that such labels are to market albums, not to describe the music.

I agree there is no such thing as "Christian music" per se, Epi; there are, however, Christian bands and performers who market themselves to Christians as playing music that is indeed Christian, but that is not gospel (like the Winans) or sacred as in some of the compositions of Bach or Beethoven. It seems like splitting hairs, no?

And Dean, Kerry Livgren was the guitarist and principal songwriter for Kansas during the period of their biggest selling albums. Many of their songs in that period certainly have spiritually-inclined lyrics that can be construed as Christian-themed.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 22:44
I just noticed this thread and it's already on page 4. LOL
Magma America Great Make Again
kingesis2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 23:26
The vatican praised Revolver by The Beatles as their favorite pop album...
Strange, huh?
Anyway, I think music can be inspired on religion but if it is used as a religion object by a religious source it is no longer music, it is more like religious merchandise.
"Cranberry sauce" The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 23:52
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Given that religion is a widely pervasive and important aspect of the human experience, and that it has played an enormous role in history and continues to do so in our culture, I would find it hard to argue that religion has not place in progressive rock (or any other type of music, for that matter).

Whatever you think of religion, and despite the unfortunate trends in some religious sects to restrict musical expression, it cannot be denied that the Christian church through the ages has produced and patronized some of the greatest music ever composed.

What I don't like is the contemporary "Christian" music scene, which is largely mediocre and feeds off the prejudices and fears of those who regard all forms of "secular" music with suspicion.

I don't have much of a problem with Morse's lyrical content (that which I've heard, anyway); I simply think that he is a bad lyricist stylistically.  Granted, Sola Scriptura is the only one of his albums that I'm very familiar with (decided it wasn't my cup of tea and never listened to  much more of his output) but the lyrics on that album are simply atrocious.

This...

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

There's no such thing as Christian music.  To say that there is would be like saying Christian math exists.

... and this. (This implies that Christian Math Rock does not exist either Wink).

Edited by someone_else - August 05 2014 at 23:55
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 00:31
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Hoesntly I don't even really understand the question. Is there a committee that decides what goes in prog albums and what doesn't?
Exactly. As I said before, don't tell Prog musicians they can't do something, because they're sure to do it.

@SteveG, It hasn't been said explicitly, but I presume the the real intended question was whether Prog listeners would be willing to listen to Christian themes. Yes? No?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 00:54
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Any subject matter has a place in Prog so why not religion. ELP's "The Only Way" is a perfect example. But here's the crux, those lyrics are about holding religion accountable, sort of anti-religion. Not what Neal Morris is doing with his lyrics to be sure. But religion nevertheless.

So in answer to the direct question Does religion have a place in Prog music? the answer is ABSOLUTELY. Now if the question was "Does preaching the word of the bible have a place in prog?" I may have to say no as I'm no fan of anyone preaching to me in any form, music, film or otherwise. But artists use religion as subject matter all the time. Myself included.

In the words of the Roman soldiers...
"Nailed it!"

The lyrics are not about 'holding 'religion accountable' but actually were dismissing religion as pointless and that you can only rely on yourself and not some 'thing' to make it all right.

In general there is no subject that cannot be put in prog lyrics. Its well known that rape and domestic abuse have featured in prog tracks. Anything that is out there and happens can be commented on. Neal Morse writes almost exclusively about religion because its the easiest thing for him to do and he is has a passion for it. Its the energy and quality of the music I like although I note that ? is the album that is most popular because he is not quite as overtly preachy and religious on that album as he is on some others. I suspect what concerns many is the lack of subtlety rather than the subject matter itself with some of Neal's music.
Yep View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 01:40
I think that artists can sing about any topic they like within reason, (ie do not encourage the listeners to murder or something. Yes music is very spiritual and to me that is what makes Yes what it is. I think that is part of the band, I agree it can be difficult, although not religious I do find Frank Zappa get's a little too offensive IMO, but that's life, your never going to like or agree with what the artist has to say.
(btw I'm not a newbie, I just have a new profile name)
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 01:59
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Hoesntly I don't even really understand the question. Is there a committee that decides what goes in prog albums and what doesn't?
Exactly. As I said before, don't tell Prog musicians they can't do something, because they're sure to do it.

@SteveG, It hasn't been said explicitly, but I presume the the real intended question was whether Prog listeners would be willing to listen to Christian themes. Yes? No?
In that case it really depends on the lyric. The Christian faith includes a huge spectrum of people who all interpret the Bible in so many different ways. But as long as it's not something along the lines of "Don't masturbate or question the church or you will burn", it's fine with me.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 03:40
An artist is allowed to take the inspiration for lyrics from everything. Then the result can be bad or good or insignificant.
Religion is just one of the many possible sources. I'd like to write a song about quantum gravity....
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 04:25
Another question can be ask about this: Is criticizing Religion in Prog music, is still talking about religion? The philosopher Nietzche talk about the depressing effect of the pity in Christianity and talk about a re-evaluation of the values of the Christianity in general.He puts value on the vital impulses of the life itself, which can be criticize. But for Nietzsche music is a  best way the counterforce against the anti-Christian movement. It's one thing to criticize Religion, and it's another thing to find a spirituality to replace it. I think we can find spirituality in music that doesn't have any connections to what we conceive as Religion as a faith in a superior spirit.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 05:01
Neal Morse seems to think so..........
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 05:03
Everybody can sing about whatever they want but everybody has his own ethics and will disapprove of unethical behaviour or of messages which he considers unethical. When I see some American tele-preachers I consider them strongly unethical, when I see religion used to abduct people into sects I find that unethical, when I see religion used as an argument to limit a woman's freedom to abort I consider it unethical, when I see religion used to mutilate the genitals of women I consider it unethical, when I see religion used as justification to kidnap or kill people I consider it unethical...

As long as religion is the theme but the message is not against my ethics I'm fine with it. Preaching in the old threatening style (you better believe and practice or you will burn in hell) I find it unethical.

BTW, Neil Morse's "preachiness" is much more straightforward in his live concerts in his inter-songs talking than in his songs lyrics. I once took my ex-girlfriend to one of his concerts and she (who was strongly anti-catholic) couldn't help bursting out laughing. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 05:14
Neal rocks, either way.......
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 05:28
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Everybody can sing about whatever they want but everybody has his own ethics and will disapprove of unethical behaviour or of messages which he considers unethical. When I see some American tele-preachers I consider them strongly unethical, when I see religion used to abduct people into sects I find that unethical, when I see religion used as an argument to limit a woman's freedom to abort I consider it unethical, when I see religion used to mutilate the genitals of women I consider it unethical, when I see religion used as justification to kidnap or kill people I consider it unethical...

As long as religion is the theme but the message is not against my ethics I'm fine with it. Preaching in the old threatening style (you better believe and practice or you will burn in hell) I find it unethical.

BTW, Neil Morse's "preachiness" is much more straightforward in his live concerts in his inter-songs talking than in his songs lyrics. I once took my ex-girlfriend to one of his concerts and she (who was strongly anti-catholic) couldn't help bursting out laughing. 

^ Yes preaching is a real exploitation of people naivety...  Remember "Jesus he knows me" from Genesis. Yes the "preachiness" of Neil Morse is more obvious in is live show because he stops the music too talk about the tragedy with his daughter and start crying, but i am sure that unlike those TV preachers, he's not doing money with it.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 09:23
It is estimated there are circa > 4000 religions extant in the world today. These clearly range from the avowed 'biggies' like Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islamism? before gradually ramping down to the esoteric niche 'borderline mental' market vouchsafed by the likes of the Church of Diego Maradona's Miraculously Descended Vesticles and it's affiliate the Tabernacle Choir of Luis Suarez's Dental Stigmata. Prog is not really that dissimilar, as we have the overriding orthodoxy of the likes Yes, ELP, Genesis, Crimson and Floyd c/f the considerably more esoteric and polarizing  iconoclasm provided by Beefheart, Can, Zappa, Amon Duul and VDGG. The Devil does NOT have all the best tunes (he just hires better lawyers to forestall the copyright writs)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 09:23

OP's statement, a brief recap of the posts:
  1. 15 Members stated that they were in favor of regilion in music.
  2. 3 Members stated that they were against religion in music.
  3. 3 Members offered no opinion either way.
  4. 6 Members stated conflicting opinions that made their postion unclear.
  5. Results so far: Quite a tolerant group regarding this topic. Clap   (Give or take an opinion.) LOL

Edited by SteveG - August 07 2014 at 14:58
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 09:24
Indeed. Just listen to classic era Jethro Tull and Genesis, and you'll find a lot of religious tones in their lyrics.
Isa View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 10:12
Of course! In the right sense anyway.

Just as religion/spirituality is a part of life in every culture (without exception), and thus mankind, it certainly should be included in music, but not in a Clericalistic way.

What I mean is I don't agree with music that's made for the secular sphere always having to center on sacred themes. For example, as a Catholic I think that the proper perspective for a Christian lay person would be that God's beauty can be found in the secular sphere as easily as the overtly sacred sphere (in churches and such) without necessarily even mentioning God himself.

That being said, I'd much rather listen to Jethro Tull and Yes sing about the beauty that can be found in secular life which comes from God than Neil Morse sing constantly explicitly sing about his Christian spirituality, especially since he is neither always in church or any kind of Cleric/Priest (except perhaps to some prog fans!! Tongue ).
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 10:36
To echo what others have said, does religion have a place in prog?  Yes, I'm pretty certain that the artist can write about what ever they want to, that's kind of the beauty of art, you can highlight your muse.  I think that's really the point of art in general.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>