Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 14:47
I listen to NPR, obviously.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 15:11
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Ok.....didn't know they had prog radio but I used to listen to a NPR pop/rock show that featured one band , interviewed them, and played their music
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 15:25
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ok.....didn't know they had prog radio but I used to listen to a NPR pop/rock show that featured one band , interviewed them, and played their music
No, no, it's the NPR news segments I'm referring to. When NPR goes off there're classical music programs that come on that I listen to. Sometimes I forget to bring a CD and I end up listening to a local rock station. One outrageously edited song I heard was Santana's Black Magic Woman. They cut off the guitar at the end. Now anyone familiar with that song knows that there is not a lot of extended time invested in that little bit there for them to save. It's hardly worth it. What is lost, though, is a very critical climax.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 16:45
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Here's a link to a recent NPR story: 
http://www.npr.org/2014/08/07/338606558/your-favorite-songs-abridged 

A radio programming executive in Calgary thinks today's songs (3-5 minutes!) are too long. He wants to redefine what listeners want by playing only songs that he/his outfit has edited for length. No, I don't live under a rock. I've heard the results of such editing done before on the radio, but to hear such blatantly Orwellian goals laid out so programmatically and undisguised was new for me. Comments?

Man, what's with Calgary.  First they give the world Nickelback, and now this yutz.

It's Hanna, not Calgary.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 09 2014 at 17:08
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 17:11
Ermm what remains when you edit-out all the boring bits from Nickelback?
What?
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 17:20

Here's a link to a recent NPR story: 
http://www.npr.org/2014/08/07/338606558/your-favorite-songs-abridged 

A radio programming executive in Calgary thinks today's songs (3-5 minutes!) are too long. He wants to redefine what listeners want by playing only songs that he/his outfit has edited for length. No, I don't live under a rock. I've heard the results of such editing done before on the radio, but to hear such blatantly Orwellian goals laid out so programmatically and undisguised was new for me. Comments?
After carefully listening to this guy, here's what I'm thinking:

- As he pointed out, it's just an experiment.
 - He mentioned that this approach wouldn't suit for all radio stations and all musical styles. Fine.
 - First, he makes an observation of how people listen to music (implying that he wants a radio station to adapt to some random people's listening habits); then he says he wants to redefine how people would listen to music. Something's askew.
 - He second-guesses us, the listeners, making general statements like "the things that are being taken out almost go unnoticed by listeners". As though we all have the same habits. Think it over, Steve. What is your understanding of "essential" in a song?

Quote Last Friday, a Top 40 radio station in Calgary, Alberta, introduced listeners to a new format. As one on-air stinger put it, "90.3 AMP: Now twice the music."

When they say "twice the music," though, they actually mean half the song. That is, this station plays songs that have been heavily edited: long opening riffs, instrumental breaks, even a chorus or two might disappear. The goal, the station's representatives say, is to keep listeners from getting bored.

The programming man behind this venture is Steve Jones, vice president at the Canadian radio firm Newcap, who says the three- to five-minute pop song is out of date: a relic of the era of 45 RPM singles. Hear his conversation with NPR's Melissa Block at the audio link.
Some of this sounds misconstrued to me, given what I heard this guy say. "... Long opening riffs, instrumental breaks, even a chorus or two might disappear" ? Jones said that trying this with a classic rock station may be a bad idea (or something to that effect).

All in all, what a silly idea. Why does this even get coverage?
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Now that I think about it, if you screw around with a song like one from F$%*$#back, you may get something like a progressive parody of it. Four lines of a verse, four lines of a chorus, four lines of a verse, four lines of a chorus, a bar of a boring instrumental break, the end. 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 10 2014 at 01:26
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 20:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The sound of no hands clapping. A pin dropping. Crickets chirping. Ears ringing. The sound of three bean salad with no beans.

Ya know, seriously, they identified their goal being to keep people from getting bored, and they did some research into iPod fatigue, but I'm betting that that research didn't give them any explanation for the fatigue. Boredom is necessarily always going to be affected and magnified by time, so what? Why are they getting bored at all in the first place? They just presume that it's because of length and length alone, but 3-5 minutes too long? It strikes me as more plausible that people are getting bored by their own music because of the nature of the music.

Edited by HackettFan - August 09 2014 at 21:18
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 22:49

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

No, no, it's the NPR news segments I'm referring to. When NPR goes off there're classical music programs that come on that I listen to. Sometimes I forget to bring a CD and I end up listening to a local rock station. One outrageously edited song I heard was Santana's Black Magic Woman. They cut off the guitar at the end. Now anyone familiar with that song knows that there is not a lot of extended time invested in that little bit there for them to save. It's hardly worth it. What is lost, though, is a very critical climax.

What you are referring to is called Gypsy Queen which is a coda of sorts  to the song Black Magic Woman .
On the LP it's listed as Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen. That's one of my favorite parts of the LP.
I suspect it was pulled that way to make it a single for radio airplay.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12