4. Mick Karn - Dreams of Reason produce Monsters
5. Kate Bush - Never Forever
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 06:01
Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 04:21
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

[QUOTE=Cactus Choir][QUOTE=Guldbamsen
 My husband (aka MickySmile) is a big fan of Spectres, which is in my opinion a much better album than Agents of Fortune. Then again, even mediocre BOC albums are way better than a whole lot of other things.
Hi Raff, good to see other Spectres fans out there! ETI, Reaper and Morning Final are the only three tracks from Agents of Fortune that match the Spectres material. Unlike a lot of long lasting bands BOC never really had a nadir (Club Ninja was as close as they came) and pretty much everything they did is worth listening to.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 17:17
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I was thinking about choosing Stand Up over A Passion Play in my list. Such a great album and the one

that really got me hooked on Tull. Very nice choice indeed.

.....but BOC's Spectres? Really? I'd take any of the first ones over it with Secret Treaties being my fave of the lot.

Some of my choices may be a bit contentious - some might even say "naff"LOL - but that's personal taste for you. Spectres seems to have a bad rep with a lot of BOC fans but I think it's full of memorable tunes, the production is great and I love Buck Dharma's guitar work. I like their early "Black and White" albums but the production on them always sounded a bit thin to my ears.

My husband (aka MickySmile) is a big fan of Spectres, which is in my opinion a much better album than Agents of Fortune. Then again, even mediocre BOC albums are way better than a whole lot of other things.

I prefer a little BOC over a kick in the head at any day. It's simple music, for simple people, but boy do they (BOC) get it right everytime. Gotta love them. Think I'm of to listen to some secret treaties, that's right Astronomy rocks.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 16:57

I was thinking about choosing Stand Up over A Passion Play in my list. Such a great album and the one

.....but BOC's Spectres? Really? I'd take any of the first ones over it with Secret Treaties being my fave of the lot.

Some of my choices may be a bit contentious - some might even say "naff"LOL - but that's personal taste for you. Spectres seems to have a bad rep with a lot of BOC fans but I think it's full of memorable tunes, the production is great and I love Buck Dharma's guitar work. I like their early "Black and White" albums but the production on them always sounded a bit thin to my ears.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 15:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

TFTO seems a particularly contentious album. The scope of ambition dwarfs just about everything but I suspect Wakeman's slightly bitter comments did much to kill the respect that album obviously deserved.

missed this earlier as I was in a hurry to get out the door to work.

I think the point has been made by many Richard, I know I tried to hammer it home in my review of the album, that album is ..was.. the highpoint of the 70's progressive rock movement.  It was, for the lack of a better work. Art. Aural Art if you will and what is main purpose of art. To stimulate and provoke.  No album EVER, prog or otherwise did that the way TFTO did.  Some consider it the among the worst albums ever done, some consider it among the best ever done.  That in my mind speaks volumes, the shear contentious of it, about just what kind of masterpiece it was.

The lack of respect? 

By half wits and non thinkers.  One does not like to like the art to appreciate it. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 15:25

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

My fave Tull is early Tull, so I completely agree with you - even if they made their high water mark with A Passion Play. 
I think my current fave of theirs is 'With you there to help me'.

wow. It is almost scary.  I've met a lot of people on this forum over the years David. 

Tell me you love Willie Nelson and I'll start think thinking we were seperated at birth or something like that.

Känguru?  Hell yeah!!!  Clap  With You There to Help Me has been my absolute favorite Tull track for as long as I've been listening to them. Perfection.

As far as Tull.  Raff and I disagree... I mean REALLY disagree really only on one thing musically and that is regarding Jethro Tull.  I suppose with you as well, I know I have with 99.9 of the forum.  I think Tull reached their creative peak with Aqualung and then overreached and became the originator of the mediorce prog moniker. Prog for prog's sake.  The rest of the 70's albums were simply ho hum to me. 

Aqualung was their definitive masterpiece IMO.

Not a big Willie Nelson fan noLOL I do love his persona though.

It's funny, I almost never find people with similar tastes as my own but on here there are quite a few. I think you'll find that HolyMoly (Steve), Logan (Greg), Saperlipoppete! (?), Finnforest (Jim) and John the Mellotron all share our love of Battiato fx. 

I don't agree on Aqualung thoughTongue Give me a spectacled hare any day!

HahI would have been surprised if you were ...and had agreed with me. THEN I really would have been worried for you. I would have had to have then asked you if you got your kicks dressing in women's clothes and duping unsuspecting men for phone numbers at bars to really see if we were separated at birth. 

The search continues.OuchLOL

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:42
At least Willie loved his hash......
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:35

My fave Tull is early Tull, so I completely agree with you - even if they made their high water mark with A Passion Play. 

wow. It is almost scary.  I've met a lot of people on this forum over the years David. 

Tell me you love Willie Nelson and I'll start think thinking we were seperated at birth or something like that.

Känguru?  Hell yeah!!!  Clap  With You There to Help Me has been my absolute favorite Tull track for as long as I've been listening to them. Perfection.

As far as Tull.  Raff and I disagree... I mean REALLY disagree really only on one thing musically and that is regarding Jethro Tull.  I suppose with you as well, I know I have with 99.9 of the forum.  I think Tull reached their creative peak with Aqualung and then overreached and became the originator of the mediorce prog moniker. Prog for prog's sake.  The rest of the 70's albums were simply ho hum to me. 

Not a big Willie Nelson fan noLOL I do love his persona though.

It's funny, I almost never find people with similar tastes as my own but on here there are quite a few. I think you'll find that HolyMoly (Steve), Logan (Greg), Saperlipoppete! (?), Finnforest (Jim) and John the Mellotron all share our love of Battiato fx. 

I don't agree on Aqualung thoughTongue Give me a spectacled hare any day!

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:34
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I do indeed have many albums what I consider as 'Masterpiece' status - however, there's a handful that for me, personally, that exceed the 5 star level........here's a few........
ANGE - Le Cimitere des Arlequins
ASH RA TEMPEL - S/T
ATOMIC ROOSTER - S/T
CAN - Future Days
CARAVAN - In The Land Of Grey And Pink
CURVED AIR - Air Cut
HOELDERLIN - Rare Birds

Man, I have been playing that self titled Ash Ra nonstop lately! Had it ages ago, let it be for a while, now I can't work out why on earth I `let it be' for so long!

Damn, Tom, I would probably personally place `Caricatures' JUST ahead of `Le Cimitere...'....but I'd be happy for them to both slug it out for my attention!

Heh, `Rare Birds'...I've had the CD for months (and the `Clowns' one) but never listened to it! I'm still so satisfied with the self titled and lovable old `New Faces' that I haven't felt the need to move on yet!
Hey Bro !! You read my incomplete list - yeah, Caricatures on par with Cimitiere.......
..........and with Ash Ra debut, Traummaschine is just the *perfect* drift away piece.......(without chemical enhancements......)
...........and more seriously, 27 Club takes me a lot further than most albums I've listed .......
Just can't explain what it is - this Magenta album floors me into the ground/Kosmos/stratosphere/wherever.........it just 'does it' for me........not just Christina's vox/looks either. Reed and Fry also amaze me.......and Andy Frost on drums..........just beyond perfect.......
..........if 'Seven' is better than 27 Club, then it looks like a straight-jacket will be in order for me..........
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:28
LOL
and I'm even missing a few... soooo much great music out there, especially if you branch out beyond the usual suspects. A whole other world indeed.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:27

Just on the subject of ELP there is an argument that none of their albums are masterpieces

which is absolute bullsh*t.  None of their albums are perfect. BIG difference.

so generally people pick their favourite album by then. Works Volume One was meant to be their masterpiece and the one that displayed them as they really were. Putting aside any issues of taste ( ie most people hate Greg Lake/Pete Sinfield ballads) is there anything actually wrong with this album?

big difference IMO again between a good album (and I thought that was) and an 'artist's masterpiece'.  Works was an ELP album really in name only, it showcased the enormous talents of the individuals yet did nothing particular, especially in terms of defining masterpieces as a GROUP. What made ELP great, or when they were great are when the 3 genre defining individual talents were on the same page. Not surprisingly when they were they created music that defined a genre. Works was not that...

On the subject of the big five 

Selling England By The Pound - don't like Epping Forest.Sorry for me that drags this album down quite a bit

Nor Genesis do a perfect album either. Yes that was Genesis making the listener listen to paint dry. A particularly well cultivated talent they had. However  I thought SEbtP was the closest that incarnation got to perfection and creating music that NON fans of the group love, and is close enough to what others think in highly regarding it to safely tab it IMO as the group's masterpiece. 

DSOTM - never been a fan of this album ever since I first heard it on 1977. But I've seen it played live by Waters and that was very enjoyable.

It is not my favorite my any stretch of the imagination but it was the perfect merger of the two halves of Floyd, the spacey sh*t of the early era and the very much Water dominated later years.
TFTO- Its growing on me a lot but GFTO was probably their masterpiece although not my favourite

listen to the Ancient a few more times. Learning to appreciate the brilliance of the savagry and beauty of it is key IMO to appreciating the album.  It is a deep dense album and one of those that has a reward that repays the patience some might need to penetrate the density of it.
King Crimson - RedSmile

bah.  Never have, never will understand the appeal of that album. Oh well.
SmileLOL

With ELP I tend to think they had their masterpieces:
Tarkus (the track not the album)
Take A Pebble
Karn Evil 9
Toccata
Pirates
Trilogy (again the track not the album)
The Endless Enigma
Three Fates

you probably get my driftSmile

The album Works Volume One does display them exactly as they were and breaks down the component parts of the band and then reassembles it all on the group side. Carl Palmer believed it was their best album although whether he still holds that opinion I'm not sure tbh.  I always found it a bit colourless personally and rated it 3 stars so really I don't think it was their masterpiece. BSS is the closest imo only a hair breadth from perfect if you remove the dreaded 'fun track'. 

TFTO seems a particularly contentious album. The scope of ambition dwarfs just about everything but I suspect Wakeman's slightly bitter comments did much to kill the respect that album obviously deserved.

As I would. It was a good album IMO. Not a great one, and definitely not a masterpiece.

I would consider ELP had 4 masterpieces, 5 if you count the live album (Welcome Back) which by far is the greatest live prog album ever done. None of the studio album were perfect but then again Richard, if fansboys and fans had the capacity to dispassionately disect the albums they'd find there are VERY VERY FEW really perfect albums. 

What I would consider ELP masterpieces:
The debut for the reasons earlier. I agree with some, especially a particular prominent internet reviewer that calls side 1 of the album perhaps the SINGLE best album side of prog ever done.  That was perfect.

Tarkus - Sure the 2nd side was not the hammer of the gods that side 1 was, but for what it was. It was pretty good.  For all the sh*t hurled at ELP for being pretentious and yadda yadda yadda,  they had a sense of humor and yes... a long of boogie woogie. I think if they had done a Tarkus pt 2 on the second side, people would have ripped them for that. It is a love 'em or hate 'em group. I enjoy the 2nd side and was a change of pace musically and aestetically from the 1st.  Anyhow, regardless of that. It gets masterpiece for the 1st side alone.

Pictures of an Exhibition.  I think John McFerrin nailed this one, along with countless reviews.  10 pound stones to do that album, another mile marker in the history per se of prog, it doesn't hurt that regardless of how they trashed a beloved classic it is a great and interesting album to listen to.

Of course Brain Salad Surgery is a classic.  Kept only by reaching THEIR defining classic IMO by two glaring weaknesses the debut did not have.  The infamously lyrically bad ballad, and the 3rd impression of K.E 9 which while not bad, just didn't keep with with the shear awesomenous of the first 2. It ended that on a bit of a bum note IMO.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:23

I do indeed have many albums what I consider as 'Masterpiece' status - however, there's a handful that for me, personally, that exceed the 5 star level........here's a few........
ANGLAGARD - all 3 studio albums
ASH RA TEMPEL - S/T
ATOMIC ROOSTER - S/T
KEVIN AYERS - Joy Of A Toy
CAN - Future Days
BRUCE COCKBURN - S/T and Salt, Sun And Time
CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN - S/T
CURVED AIR - Air Cut
FRUUPP - Future Legends
GENTLE GIANT - S/T
GRYPHON - S/ T
GURU GURU - Kanguru
PETER HAMMILL - Chameleon, Silent Corner and In Camera
HAWKWIND - Electric Tepee
HENRY COW - LegEnd
HOELDERLIN - Rare Birds

Uuhh I forgot about Känguru in my list!! 
I see you included Future Days and In the Land of Grey and Pink in yours as wellBig smile
You caught my incomplete list.......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:05
I've not actually heard A Passion Play, so that's another to put on my list! A few other personal masterpieces I forgot to mention are Fairport Convention - s/t (yep another odd choice since nearly everyone prefers the Sandy Denny era), Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Brian Auger Trinity - Befour.

"He's up the pub"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:03

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 06:01

we have very similar tastes David

bonus mcClappies and a few micky points.  ClapClap

docking myself a few for forgetting one of my ALLTIME favorite classic albums.  Doh...  how could I forget Ys.

Yeah I caught that tooBig smile Good to see dear ol Frankie boy getting some mentions as well. He is the bee's teeth. Numero uno, especially when he's fondling up his VCS3Heart One of the rare synthesiser players who sounds larval in his delivery.

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 07 2014 at 06:01

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 05:48

Tull were really on a roll when they did Stand Up and it's amazing when you think of all the great songs from that period they left off like Living in the Past, Teacher, Sweet Dream and Witches Promise.

Hey I love when people have....let's just say odd choices. Hell most of my own are not from English speaking countries but from Italy, France, Germany, Japan, Sweden and not necessarily the obvious picks. Tastes are what makes this site interesting, spice baby!

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 05:40

Tull were really on a roll when they did Stand Up and it's amazing when you think of all the great songs from that period they left off like Living in the Past, Teacher, Sweet Dream and Witches Promise.

"He's up the pub"
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 05:36

ASH RA TEMPEL - S/T
ATOMIC ROOSTER - S/T
CAN - Future Days
CURVED AIR - Air Cut
HOELDERLIN - Rare Birds

Man, I have been playing that self titled Ash Ra nonstop lately! Had it ages ago, let it be for a while, now I can't work out why on earth I `let it be' for so long!

Damn, Tom, I would probably personally place `Caricatures' JUST ahead of `Le Cimitere...'....but I'd be happy for them to both slug it out for my attention!

Heh, `Rare Birds'...I've had the CD for months (and the `Clowns' one) but never listened to it! I'm still so satisfied with the self titled and lovable old `New Faces' that I haven't felt the need to move on yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>