Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

deep thinking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 1.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 22:55
I used to think men were superior to women until I realized that the male prostate gland hosts a design flaw that offsets the advantages of peeing standing up.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 07:12
Engineering education isn't what it used to be.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 07:59
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I used to think men were superior to women until I realized that the male prostate gland hosts a design flaw that offsets the advantages of peeing standing up.

tell me about it....I'm over 60.
Embarrassed
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 23:17
I was at a zoo once and heard some coyotes chattering to wolf howls. It sounded like what would happen if Syd Barrett tried playing along to one of David Gilmour's guitar solos. Syd's guitar is the coyote and David's is the wolf, BTW.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 21:00
Pineapple upside down cake turned right side up is still just as sweet.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 08:15
Waffle cosmology is like a sickening surplus of motor reflexes capped by reformed prerequisites, tenderized magazines, opus sighs, and a prince arranged with modest opposites of cake, closed pacifiers, and plastic horns carrying the DNA of a mud arcade.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 10:54
This thread could have ended at 42, but I think that there is still more to life, the universe, and everything to ponder.

Here's my deep thought or thinking experiment based on the classic trolley ethical problem:

Imagine that you witness a runaway trolley racing towards five people who are somehow incapacitated. You know that they won't be able to get off the tracks in time, and the train will smash into them if nothing is done, but then you notice a lever that will divert the trolley onto another track which would save those five people if you pushed it. However, there is an incapacitated person on that other track that you would die if you divert the trolley. So faced with this dilemma, what will you have for lunch?

Edited by Logan - July 21 2018 at 10:55
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 10:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This thread could have ended at 42, but I think that there is still more to life, the universe, and everything to ponder.

Here's my deep thought or thinking experiment based on the classic trolley ethical problem:

Imagine that you witness a runaway trolley racing towards five people who are somehow incapacitated. You know that they won't be able to get off the tracks in time, and the train will smash into them if nothing is done, but then you notice a lever that will divert the trolley onto another track which would save those five people if you pushed it. However, there is an incapacitated person on that other track that you would die if you divert the trolley. So faced with this dilemma, what will you have for lunch?
Multi-track drifting.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 11:11
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Multi-track drifting.

Killing six birds with one stone, so to speak? Perhaps that should be one of the options stated in the problem.

EDIT: not that it matters, but I should have read back through my post more carefully. I meant say that “there is an incapacitated person on that other track that would diie if you divert the trolley”, not “on that other track that you would die”. But I guess that’s obvious and it was comprehensible enough. I wouldn’t want to be accused of ruining this thread through a lack of clarity.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2018 at 14:47
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 22:05
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

My reality check was returned for insufficient funds.  

I hear that.
I'm so broke, I can scant afford to pay attention.

[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 08:30
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

are but is there a god.
is there life on an other planet.
what is the meaning of life.

I don't think we can know if there is or isn't a god or some form of a higher power. I'm ultimately agnostic on the matter but I have not heard any arguments that would make me assume that there is a God (it doesn't seem a necessary assumption to me, but I still see it as a possibility). The vaguer the conception of a god or gods, the more likely the possibility it seems to me. I find the idea of the Abrahamic God very unlikely.

We can't know with certainty that there is life on other planets, but it seems very unlikely that there wouldn't be to me. Extremely probable that life does exist elsewhere, I believe..

I like think to think that the meaning of life is whatever meaning we bring to our lives, as well the meaning we bring to other people's lives. I don't think there's one answer. In one sense one might simply say that it is simply to procreate and survive.

Now it's my turn to ask a question, I guess:

Do people think there's a sort of moral panic surrounding issues of identity politics?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 08:41
Short answer yes.

Longer answer, there are many political topics that we surrouns ourselvs with spessially those concernig long term issues, social unjust societies, climate crisis and gender equality, are topics that never are ending. They are never ending. Eternal in time and infinite ways in factors that seems out of our controll.

Best way is to educate onself and follow the reason and don't be paralized by paradigmatic challanging issues.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 08:48
That's a very good answer, thank you Christoffer.   

On a side-note, I would quite like to move this topic out of Just For Fun (it was moved here before) since I think the idea of it is a very good one and Just For Fun topics tend to get missed as they get buried quickly and don't get mentioned in the Latest Forum Posts on the forum home age.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 00:00
Can Hegelian Dialectcs be applied when finding if a band is prog or not, thesis (its prog) - antithesis (its not prog) - synthesis (its influenced by prog but is also tryinh to be funk, so not prog propper but couls be viewed as jazz fusion, cause their first three albums was fusion of rock, funk and jazz).

“Hegel’s dialectics” refers to the particular dialectical method of argument employed by the 19th Century German philosopher, G.W.F. Hegel (see entry on Hegel), which, like other “dialectical” methods, relies on a contradictory process between opposing sides. Whereas Plato’s “opposing sides” were people (Socrates and his interlocutors), however, what the “opposing sides” are in Hegel’s work depends on the subject matter he discusses. In his work on logic, for instance, the “opposing sides” are different definitions of logical concepts that are opposed to one another. In the Phenomenology of Spirit, which presents Hegel’s epistemology or philosophy of knowledge, the “opposing sides” are different definitions of consciousness and of the object that consciousness is aware of or claims to know. As in Plato’s dialogues, a contradictory process between “opposing sides” in Hegel’s dialectics leads to a linear evolution or development from less sophisticated definitions or views to more sophisticated ones later. The dialectical process thus constitutes Hegel’s method for arguing against the earlier, less sophisticated definitions or views and for the more sophisticated ones later. Hegel regarded this dialectical method or “speculative mode of cognition” (PR §10) as the hallmark of his philosophy, and used the same method in the Phenomenology of Spirit [PhG], as well as in all of the mature works he published later—the entire Encyclopaedia of Philosophical Sciences (including, as its first part, the “Lesser Logic” or the Encyclopaedia Logic [EL]), the Science of Logic [SL], and the Philosophy of Right [PR].

Edited by Icarium - February 11 2019 at 01:23
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 07:30
I love dialectics and apply it in my daily life, and try to employ it in dealing with others. I love thesis/ antithesis discussion which leads to a synthesis of ideas and when evaluating bands for Eclectic, we often used dialectics informally to figure out if a band is Prog, or I used it myself just in my posts where I would debate with myself out loud on paper so to speak to arrive at a more sophisticated conclusion and nuanced understanding (I wish there were more syntheses in discussions).   

I would say that dialectics can be a very useful tool in determining whether something fits or not, and how it fits (I imagine we all use it to some extent even if not being familiar with Hegel or Plato. My approach generally would be rather like the conversation between Plato and Socrates in Republic, what is the nature of the ideal state, than some of Hegel's more sophisticated thinkings, but that's because of the subject matter I tend to approach (less abstract concepts). Hegel I also studied in college.

Hegel had different approaches of dialectical reasoning depending on the subject matter as said in the quote, but yes, using logical frameworks in the dialectical approach would be useful in determining the form of things (now I'm back to referencing Plato which is less refined) and could get to some "truth writ not so large".

Hegel is very deep stuff it makes this Deep Thinking topic seems amateur in comparison, which of course it is). Hegelian dialectics is useful in arriving at a more sophisticated notion, and dialectics can be useful in seeing that something not not be tither one thing (Prog) or the other (non-Prog),can be both, and can be something different (jazz fusion, has a prog relation). For me it's a good way to get out of black and white, binary thinking and a dialectical approach is very useful in conflict resolution, both with others and in oneself, and in behavioral therapy.

I just woke up, and haven't even had my morning coffee yet, I hope I'm making sense.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 07:34
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 07:37
^ Wow.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 08:06

I love dialectics and apply it in my daily life, and try to employ it in dealing with others. I love thesis/ antithesis discussion which leads to a synthesis of ideas and when evaluating bands for Eclectic, we often used dialectics informally to figure out if a band is Prog, or I used it myself just in my posts where I would debate with myself out loud on paper so to speak to arrive at a more sophisticated conclusion and nuanced understanding (I wish there were more syntheses in discussions).   

I would say that dialectics can be a very useful tool in determining whether something fits or not, and how it fits (I imagine we all use it to some extent even if not being familiar with Hegel or Plato. My approach generally would be rather like the conversation between Plato and Socrates in Republic, what is the nature of the ideal state, than some of Hegel's more sophisticated thinkings, but that's because of the subject matter I tend to approach (less abstract concepts). Hegel I also studied in college.

Hegel had different approaches of dialectical reasoning depending on the subject matter as said in the quote, but yes, using logical frameworks in the dialectical approach would be useful in determining the form of things (now I'm back to referencing Plato which is less refined) and could get to some "truth writ not so large".

Hegel is very deep stuff it makes this Deep Thinking topic seems amateur in comparison, which of course it is). Hegelian dialectics is useful in arriving at a more sophisticated notion, and dialectics can be useful in seeing that something not not be tither one thing (Prog) or the other (non-Prog),can be both, and can be something different (jazz fusion, has a prog relation). For me it's a good way to get out of black and white, binary thinking and a dialectical approach is very useful in conflict resolution, both with others and in oneself, and in behavioral therapy.

I just woke up, and haven't even had my morning coffee yet, I hope I'm making sense.
very cohesive and sound answer thag summerize core elements of lusicology that i think is lacking in the general applicative nature of musicology, its Hegelian legacy, an antithesis to Hegel is Schopenhauer whom also is interesting.

Edited by Icarium - February 11 2019 at 08:07
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 15:02
Deep thinking = default human setting.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 14:51
Instead of creating my own all-purpose Philosophy thread, I did do the Bertrand Russell Liberal Decalogue thread, I thought it might be fun to once again revive this GeekFreak one. I think that it is a great thread for both some deep and shallow "thunk". I rather like the anarchic feel of this topic.

Anyone have any deep thoughts, or deepities, which they wish to share? Or has the well run dry?

"When ee heads fall tails a thousand times, so call heads tails both, but coin then lands on third side, the inside.
When you fly so wingish speed, then thwack, ee path be glass and broke beak slum on ground all quiver pigeon.
While rattles rub hands in the shadows.
And when ee sing so full with bursting soul ee heart fly out of mouth and then bashed be biffed by all who hears cry shut
shut shut it up oo cackermuffin.
Then welcome, oo voof welcome, in blue jam" (Chris Morris - Blue Jam).

Edited by Logan - December 12 2019 at 15:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>