Flapjaaaack! 

LOL
Help me I'm falling!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 17:26
I like football, but I don't really connect with people who really CARE about it, to the point where they feel a personal relationship with their team or with certain players (in today's "fantasy league" world, people now root for individual players, which I consider antithetical to the very teamwork-intensive nature of football).   I also despise how the TV broadcasting of football has "evolved" over the past 10-20 years, it's just a whole lotta noise and BS that gets in the way of the game.  I could write a couple of paragraphs on that alone.  BUT, football itself is cool, once you strip away all the baggage it's a fun game to watch, and the skills involved are impressive.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 17:31
And the strategy!  It's like a game of chess, with 11 players on either side of the ball and each one plays a vital role.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 19:01
I like football, baseball, tennis, and hockey though by no means a fanatic of any sport.  My favorite is probably college and high school hockey because they are fast and have less ego.  Can't get into soccer or basketball.....except occasionally some college hoops. 

I feel lucky to have been able to watch many great ones in their prime....Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice and Joe Montana, before that the Vikings purple people eaters in the 70s, Bobby Orr, many more.

Mostly I hate what sports have become.  The ridiculous sums of money, the obnoxious, drunken fans....the loudmouthed athletes.   I can remember going to pro games as a kid with my Dad.  Certainly there were some drunks at the games, but there were a lot more Dads there with their kids, watching and talking politely, cheering certainly but not so psycho as now.  It seems to be so much louder and exhibitionist and I loathe both of those things.  It's also barely affordable for working class people.  Tickets are so outrageous in price. 

So Jorge, while I don't share your dislike of the sport itself, I don't like at all what it has become.  I'd much rather watch amateur sports. 

I live in a very diverse neighborhood with a many Mexican immigrants.  They have formed baseball leagues and I can go watch them play at the park.  They are so respectful of the neighborhood, tons of kids having a great time, and the guys really enthusiastic about competing.  That's sports to me.  Same with the HS hockey. 

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 19:25
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

^^ I guess I should get an award. Thanks! I guess you are not around the people I am around. With them it is an either like it or die situation. I'm serious
Honestly I can't stand american football, but most of my family loves it.

Are you serious because where I am from and the environment am I surrounded there are only two choices:you either like it or are considered a f** or a boy for not liking it. The first situation I described was a bit exaggerated but not too far off. My in laws love it and they look at us differently if we don't

Another reason I live in Oregon. Nobody gives a sh*t if you don't like the Ducks, or football at all. I completely agree that it's got some negative influence on our culture. I do like the sport itself, whether I'm playing with some other mellow people, or occasionally watching on the TV. But what I can't stand is its impact on the American culture.

On the other hand, FIFA games are far more dangerous than NFL games. By this, I mean that your odds of survival are a bit higher. Embarrassed
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 20:07
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I like football, baseball, tennis, and hockey though by no means a fanatic of any sport.  My favorite is probably college and high school hockey because they are fast and have less ego.  Can't get into soccer or basketball.....except occasionally some college hoops.  

I feel lucky to have been able to watch many great ones in their prime....Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice and Joe Montana, before that the Vikings purple people eaters in the 70s, Bobby Orr, many more.

Mostly I hate what sports have become.  The ridiculous sums of money, the obnoxious, drunken fans....the loudmouthed athletes.   I can remember going to pro games as a kid with my Dad.  Certainly there were some drunks at the games, but there were a lot more Dads there with their kids, watching and talking politely, cheering certainly but not so psycho as now.  It seems to be so much louder and exhibitionist and I loathe both of those things.  It's also barely affordable for working class people.  Tickets are so outrageous in price.  

So Jorge, while I don't share your dislike of the sport itself, I don't like at all what it has become.  I'd much rather watch amateur sports.  

I live in a very diverse neighborhood with a many Mexican immigrants.  They have formed baseball leagues and I can go watch them play at the park.  They are so respectful of the neighborhood, tons of kids having a great time, and the guys really enthusiastic about competing.  That's sports to me.  Same with the HS hockey

On the professional level you've hit the nail on the head, but I frequently go to Thunder Birds games (Western Hockey League) and it is exactly what you described... tons of families, tons of children, tons of fun. But it is still the same rough and tough hockey that true fans of the sport can still enjoy it as well. Speaking about fans, I live in Washington and have to deal with a lot of bandwagon Seahawks fans, that when alcohol gets involved things can get out of hand real quick. I love the Hawks, but their "fans" are kind of douchers. Still, I'll take all the false starts those very same jerks help to get so it's a love hate thing :)

Now if this thread were really about gripes with the NFL well then I'd certainly have a post or two. For I, and others who are fans of the sport, do not like some of the things Mr.Goodell has done or plans to do. But this thread is not about that, it is about something else entirely...

Edited by zachfive - August 18 2014 at 20:08
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 20:26
I sure don't like what money and TV has done to sports over the past 20 yrs. The huge salaries are insane, but hey its "us" the fans that are helping pay for it by going to games and watching on TV. TV contracts give the big teams huge budgets.
I have not been to a NFL game in years because I have no interest in paying $100+ for a seat....At least MLB is affordable to go to a game.

I like college sports too, from the athlete appreciation view. College baseball and college lacrosse are at the top of my list for following, next probably college football.
Both college baseball and lacrosse to me are the best for hand eye coordination and lacrosse probably the fastest sport on two feet. Probably the hardest thing in sports to do is hit a baseball, let alone a 95mph one.

The business of sports is less than desirable.....Scott Boras has made a ton of money.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 21:01
Originally posted by Catcher10<b><u> Catcher10 wrote:

I sure don't like what money and TV has done to sports over the past 20 yrs.
The huge salaries are insane, but hey its "us" the fans that are helping pay for it by going to games and watching on TV. TV contracts give the big teams huge budgets.
I have not been to a NFL game in years because I have no interest in paying $100+ for a seat....At least MLB is affordable to go to a game.

I like college sports too, from the athlete appreciation view. College baseball and college lacrosse are at the top of my list for following, next probably college football.
Both college baseball and lacrosse to me are the best for hand eye coordination and lacrosse probably the fastest sport on two feet. Probably the hardest thing in sports to do is hit a baseball, let alone a 95mph one.

The business of sports is less than desirable.....Scott Boras has made a ton of money.

I was not talking bad about Football itself just what it has done to us. You're right it is ridiculous that those seats are expensive as hell.
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 21:03
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I live in a very diverse neighborhood with a many Mexican immigrants.  They have formed baseball leagues and I can go watch them play at the park.  They are so respectful of the neighborhood, tons of kids having a great time, and the guys really enthusiastic about competing.  That's sports to me.  Same with the HS hockey

On the professional level you've hit the nail on the head, but I frequently go to Thunder Birds games (Western Hockey League) and it is exactly what you described... tons of families, tons of children, tons of fun. But it is still the same rough and tough hockey that true fans of the sport can still enjoy it as well. Speaking about fans, I live in Washington and have to deal with a lot of bandwagon Seahawks fans, that when alcohol gets involved things can get out of hand real quick. I love the Hawks, but their "fans" are kind of douchers. Still, I'll take all the false starts those very same jerks help to get so it's a love hate thing :)

Now if this thread were really about gripes with the NFL well then I'd certainly have a post or two. For I, and others who are fans of the sport, do not like some of the things Mr.Goodell has done or plans to do. But this thread is not about that, it is about something else entirely...

But this is about the NFL?? Look at my original post
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 21:47
>mfw no emo music jokes.

Oh well.

I actually like the sport. It's f**king unbearable to watch on TV though because of all the dumb graphics, popups, stats, commentary and ads. It's really not a game anymore, it's just Dungeons and Dragons for jocks sponsored by Bud Light. What's the point?

Anyway, the XFL is where the real action was.

Edited by stonebeard - August 18 2014 at 21:48
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 21:49
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

>mfw no emo music jokes.
check muh sig yo
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 22:26

>mfw no emo music jokes.

Oh well.

I actually like the sport. It's f**king unbearable to watch on TV though because of all the dumb graphics, popups, stats, commentary and ads. It's really not a game anymore, it's just Dungeons and Dragons for jocks sponsored by Bud Light. What's the point?

Clap You are uncovering the stuff that I initially left out of my OP
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 22:57

>mfw no emo music jokes.

Oh well.

Clap You are uncovering the stuff that I initially left out of my OP

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 23:00
^^ Where do you get those emoticons?? LOL  A few people seem to agree though 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 23:04

^^ Where do you get those emoticons?? LOL  A few people seem to agree though 

stonebeard was trolling you in his own way.  Please read his post more carefully.

And I am an eclectic member of all interwebs.  I can express disappointment many ways.

Edited by Epignosis - August 18 2014 at 23:04
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 23:26
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

And the strategy!  It's like a game of chess, with 11 players on either side of the ball and each one plays a vital role.
Ya...it's exactly like chess.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 11:44
I think it would be better if they couldn't use their hands, but use the same ball. I don't like sports anyway.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 19 2014 at 11:45
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 12:04

Yes.  Better if they didn't use their hands. Had a round ball. Maybe 11 a side?  No, perhaps one of each side could use his hands and they could block the goal.  Then get rid of all the ridiculous padding.  And all the stupid breaks.  then call it something like... Ermm
Help me I'm falling!
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 19:26
I like football, but don't love it.  Actually I don't really love any sport.  Personally I wouldn't miss sports if they ceased to exist.  Things like the Superbowl, the Olympics and even the World Cup are overhyped and underwhelming.  I like well played, competitive college football games the best. 
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 00:18
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I sure don't like what money and TV has done to sports over the past 20 yrs. The huge salaries are insane, but hey its "us" the fans that are helping pay for it by going to games and watching on TV. TV contracts give the big teams huge budgets.

Unrestricted free agency started all that BS.

Here in Baltimore me and my family go to Camden Yards a lot.There really aren't any bad seats in the park and sometimes we have spent as little as $24 for four seats(center field below scoreboard).One of our favorite sections is in the middle deck,up and to the left of home plate.Great view of the game and we usually pay about $20-25 per seat for those.The prices are considerably higher if we are playing the Yankees or Red Sox though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>