Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog Rock Visions, Visuals, and Sentimentalites!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Rock Visions, Visuals, and Sentimentalites!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:43
"That's not the way I play", sorry, I was typing really fast.
Wallace The Lad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 13:46
PHILAMORE LINCOLN - early Sherwood
DONOVAN -  people used to
STRAWBS - just a collection of antiques & curios
PLACKBAND - remember forever
FAMILY TREE - nickleodeon music
MAN -back to the future
BEE GEES (& yes) -TURN OF THE CENTURY
stackridge - PINAFORE DAYS
SINCLAIR/HOPPER -  potted history
JEFF ST JOHN - I regularly
STRAWBS - ah me,ah my
CELEBRATED RATCLIFF STOUT BAND - old spies
MOODY BLUES- long siummer days
KINKS- picturebook, PEOPLE THE PICTURES
DR MR TIME - grandfather
JULIANS TREATMENT - a time before this
SATIN WHALE - reminiscent river
KINKS - where are they now?
STRAWBS -where is this dream of your youth?
ZOMBIES - beechwood park
MAGIC MIXTURE - while I was young
HOPKINS- those were the days
MAGNA CARTA - she is dreaming
NEIL YOUNG - Sugar mountain
west coast consortium - COPPER COLOURED YEARS
david sylvain -TAKING THE VEIL

(Yes, I know. Not all prog.)

Hans il mercante View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 14:11
It's time for another one, when I am swimming (I swim everyday), music is always on my head, thanks to my stroke, my kick, my breathing technique, the rhythm of swimming brings music to my mind. One of the common ones is Vangelis Sirens' whispering from Oceanic ( I know is not Prog, or the best album from him), for example, today I swam on the sea at 7am, that song has the rhythm of the waves, the human voices on that tune do the imitation of the currents, then Vangelis keyboards make the perfect match to my strokes plus kicking, it's like being in harmony with the sea, I don't swim with headphones, I don't like the feeling, they cut the thrill of being on the acuatic enviroment, and in my head, I got more than a handful of songs to choose from, 

Edited by Hans il mercante - August 23 2014 at 14:13
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 15:02
Time Table by Genesis really sums up my mindset around 1977, thinking of what
Prog was bringing to my life.  Olias by Anderson, Vangelis' Heaven and Hell, and Synergy Sequencer
were also heavily on the turntable around that time. 

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 16:02
All of these answers are awesome Clap.

I love your reminiscence of 1977, brainstormer.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 01:15
Not many really but Fanfare For The Common Man takes me back to school as that was such a massive hit when I was 15. I can remember talking about ELP with other people especially Keith Emerson's very cool motorbike ( ELP were just a cool band for a 15 yr old)

Wings - Listen To What The Man Says always gives me one of my strongest nostalgic images of sitting on the family lawn. It was a very hot summer and that song just has the right feeling.

Comfortably Numb - I was at college and very insecure at the time. I would lay on my bed and sort of 'zone out'.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 15:19

Hi,

Weird that you say that ... the main, and ONLY, reason why I listen to any music, is because it is the most important part of my "inner life" and "vision". There is music inside my head, that I have yet to hear!!!

Music is not the only thing that brings "visuals" to me. Movies help, and sometimes bring even MORE to me, than music does. Theater does, it could be a gesture, a word, a light, a movement, anything.

Honestly, I think you are confusing one of all humans best assets and points, the one that has been b*****dized and sometimes called a deity, when it was no different than just a dream, or a vision, or an inspiration ... music, is but one expression that can "carry" that visual, although, when discussed here in the terms that some people do, I seriously doubt that half the folks that wrote the "definition" ever considered the visual nature of  ANY MUSIC, and its history, because the whole definition is about details that have nothing to do with progressive any more than it does with you going to the nuthouse, or bathroom!

The harsh/hard part of this, is people thinking that a lot of this stuff, in the early days, was drug related, and some of it was, but a whole lot of it was NOT, and in some cases the musicianship and desired that was necessary to pull it off, was beyond the ability for anyone to play the music so ripped and not know what they were doing. In this sense, you will even find Pink Floyd (notably Roger!) get upset more than once in many bootlegs because of too much dope in the audience, which he felt bothered him!

There is no music that I listen to that does not have visuals. Period. I guess I have an over active Pineal Gland, unlike some members of this club.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 21:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Weird that you say that ... the main, and ONLY, reason why I listen to any music, is because it is the most important part of my "inner life" and "vision". There is music inside my head, that I have yet to hear!!!

Music is not the only thing that brings "visuals" to me. Movies help, and sometimes bring even MORE to me, than music does. Theater does, it could be a gesture, a word, a light, a movement, anything.

Honestly, I think you are confusing one of all humans best assets and points, the one that has been b*****dized and sometimes called a deity, when it was no different than just a dream, or a vision, or an inspiration ... music, is but one expression that can "carry" that visual, although, when discussed here in the terms that some people do, I seriously doubt that half the folks that wrote the "definition" ever considered the visual nature of  ANY MUSIC, and its history, because the whole definition is about details that have nothing to do with progressive any more than it does with you going to the nuthouse, or bathroom!

The harsh/hard part of this, is people thinking that a lot of this stuff, in the early days, was drug related, and some of it was, but a whole lot of it was NOT, and in some cases the musicianship and desired that was necessary to pull it off, was beyond the ability for anyone to play the music so ripped and not know what they were doing. In this sense, you will even find Pink Floyd (notably Roger!) get upset more than once in many bootlegs because of too much dope in the audience, which he felt bothered him!

There is no music that I listen to that does not have visuals. Period. I guess I have an over active Pineal Gland, unlike some members of this club.

Great post.

I found myself listening to jazz (Miles Davis in particular) while viewing Giorgio de Chirico and Salvador Dali paintings this evening. I feel a very strong connection between the collective unconscious/surrealism/metaphysical and painting/music. I love your mention on the pineal gland here.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 24 2014 at 21:47
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 23:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I’ve always had zero patience for those who believe that any music that strives to be different or anything other than the most commercial dreck HAS TO BE drug-related or only listened to when high. I’ve never done drugs more serious than aspirin or acetaminophen, and I’ve never had a problem appreciating music considered by some to be spacey or weird. It’s much the same mentality as you get from those who ask creative people “Where do you get your ideas?” as if coming up with them right out of one’s own imagination is an alien concept.

I totally agree with Hans il mercante over the Santana piece he mentioned. Some others that evoke a certain mood or recollection or that otherwise make me zone out include:

Vangelis – Creation du Monde. A near-perfect evocation of order forming from chaos.
Weather Report – Jungle Book. Brings to mind a festive village atmosphere.
Jon Anderson – Olias of Sunhillow, the whole album, but especially Song of Search.
Ambrosia – Cowboy Star. The ending section brings to mind steep canyons glowing preternaturally in the moonlight.

I should definitely come up with more before too long.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 00:45
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Pt. 1. Lack of sleep and/or insomnia 

I have a nasty habit of staying up too late and I remember the times I went overboard and my body felt like it was going to collapse only to have a brief burst of energy, then back to collapse and so forth. Not to mention the silence in the house. IMO, Crimson captured the mood perfectly with that piece.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 04:58
The Damo Suzuki era of Can always reminds me of 1970s action/crime film soundtracks, so I always imagine that kind of gritty and bleak yet colourful and stylish urban decay drama to go along with it. It probably has to do with the funk/jazz influence in the rhythm combined with the drawn-out soundscape direction of the music. I get a similar vibe from Budgie, though, which is weird because the two bands sound nothing alike. It does have that scruffy, dirty feel characterizing a lot of 1970s hard rock.

Speaking of German stuff, mid-1970s Tangerine Dream makes me think more of ancient civilizations and cyclopean Egyptian/Greek architecture than it does of outer space or unexplored nature like I get with their surrounding eras or most of Klaus Schulze's output. Maybe it has to do with it being very obviously structured and composed, hence very classical, but also having this mysterious and kind of ritualistic atmosphere?

When it comes to contemporary acts Russian Circles always make me think of Eastern European landscapes and often abandoned or decayed Soviet-era futuristic architecture. This is in part because of their name I reckon, but also because their sound is very obviously high-tech in the instrumental proficiency yet has something earthy and organic to the expansive way the compositions unfold. The melodic sensibility is also a bit off in ways that strike me as stereotypical Eastern in that way.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 16:31
Thanks areyouhuman, well, That's my point of view too, anyway, here I go with another one of the image maker, I remember very fondly the relayer album by Yes, when I was a young kid, I used to wait until everybody at home went to bed to listen to music in my dad's stereo, why?, here comes the fun part.

By that time DIGITAL was the word of the moment, my dad purchased a big stereo, that stereo had a very cool level meter with lights, not the needle type that I was used to, it was different, colors, green and red, you were able to actually see your music come alive... well, enough of my explanation.

One night, at 2am, I was listening to The gates of Delirium, sound blasting on a huge pair of headphones that I was using by that time, closed back headphones, the record on vinyl, lights completly off, just the lever meter bouncing, in my mind, I was actually seeing the battle, PAPA...PAPAM...PAPAM...PAPAM, people running, chaos, death, screams, sorrow, bedlam, it was so intense, so real, on that record you can hear and feel Alan White's fills, I was seeing Steve's guitar pick bend doing his thing, It was magical, and was the first time that Soon really touched my inner self, I was trully inmersed by the content, the music, the meaning of every word, It almost left me in tears.

Then Sound chaser began, the meter level was running up and down like crazy, furious music feeding my head and my soul, I felt like music was actually filling my head, I was absorbing it, if that is not a musical allucination, then what it is?.

To be over is another story, like I said before, I was looking at an invisible sky in our living room in the middle of the night, without any chemical help, the sun, the trees, the warmthness of a new day, a better day, after mayhem, light will prevail etc, Moraz Mellotron does almost all the work, it's a haunting tune, on vinyl is simply exquisite, another song that makes you feel happy to be alive at that time, at least for me has that effect.

I've been listening to music all my life, but that night was my first musical epiphany, if that is a real term, I was there to experience it.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Hans il mercante - August 26 2014 at 18:53
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 12:01
I got another one of my favorites, but not prog, classical, interested?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 12:22
Yes, very interested.

I won't lie; I'm genuinely surprised this thread has gone on this long. I figured it would either burn out, get pushed to the bottom and forgotten, or get misunderstood lol.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 19:18
Well PrognosticMind, here I go again, another one that brings really strong images is Neptune by Gustav Holst, th whole Planets suite is very visual, it takes you where it wants, I simply love that work, stunning music, awesome concept, what else can you ask for?.

On that last track, he tries to make you feel in space, weightless and careless, looking at the mystic Neptune, but almost at the end, he changes things and a female chorus emerge from deep within, the fade-out effect makes the end of the movement so personal, so minimalistic, I can feel Neptune going smaler and smaler as we get closer to our planet, the human voices work as a reminder of our nature, is the perfect way to end the journey.

For me, that song is an image of space travel, getting closer to home, or getting lost in space, because the human voices fade, maybe loosing track and going deeper into the void. As you can see, it bring so many images as the movement unfolds before your closed eyes.

It's a shame that people are not sharing this thoughts, I guess we all do not experience music the same way, music is something to be listened at, it's more than noise filling the air while you're busy doing something else.

What do you think about my story on the Relayer album?.

Edited by Hans il mercante - August 28 2014 at 19:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12