Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuggestions for albums with good sound quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 13:46
Off the top of my head pretty much anything mixed by Alan Parsons I guess - Ambrosia, Alan Parsons Project, Dark Side Of The Moon...

Another album I love is However - Sudden Dusk.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:08
I took Mike Oldfield - Incantations to the record shop when I bought my last hi-fi.

There are of course so many potential choices.I love the way the last 2 Iron Maiden studio albums are recorded.

If you want something massive sounding to blow your socks off then Eloy - Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes does the trick. Precisely engineered by Germans. What else do you need to know?Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 15:06
Originally posted by KingBarbarossa KingBarbarossa wrote:

Wow, I would not have expected so much diversion in all these suggestions.

Also interesting that many of you are still recommending older recordings. In my experience they can sound beautiful, some remasters with added clarity on top, but would not necessarily be able to fill out the dynamic range (especially the bottom end) of a modern HiFi system.

The main difference for me, was that in 1972 I was already centered on QUALITY ... and had a very expensive tuner and speakers (ESS AMT-1 HEIL's). The difference was that anything you played now sounded as good or better than the best FM signal you ever heard at the time. And then when you heard Echoes, Thick as a Brick, Tales from Topographic Oceans, at that quality, you experienced something that most people don't.

When you take this "fidelity" (as I call it, not sure it is the right term for it, btw! ... have to ask Dean) in, and then take it EVEN FURTHER to something like Tomita or Tangerine Dream, where the sound turns itself over, literally, on your imagination, you ability to enjoy and appreciate music CHANGES.

For the modern listener, the majority of folks here are not exactly listening to many things on a big system, where you get the benefit of all the little details, and many even think that the remastering means that they can hear the bigger details on their iPod ... let's just say that you get a hint of it, and not the full spectrum of the experience.

AND this was the part of "progressive" that many folks missed out on. Many of those bands went for the "experience", rather than just a song per se.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 17:40
Tomita has some of the blandest production it's been my displeasure to hear since I last heard a Rondo Veneziano album my Dyson vacuum cleaner has more dynamics than Pictures AT AN Exhibition... but hey-ho life goes on and it all pales into insignificance ... and I can say this "because" I've seen a photograph of AN EIGHT TRACK that was made in TAIWAN... when you experience the "whole" thing performed on STAGE by an albino elephant improvising a Tibetan nose flute without a safety net in a constant stream of constipation, where you get the full benefit of a really numb posterior that it turns itself over, figuratively, in your stomach so your feet face south while your head is still facing an uncertain past while worrying whether you left the gas on under the leftover right over left chilli you were reheating for your supper only then can you truly say that music as progressed and "has" become progressive by the very act "of" progressing because what the majority of folks over "there" don't hear and what they don't, literally, appreciate "is" that progress is not progression that progresses but "a" programme of prognostic progenies prognosticating prognathism because I've... bean tins you people wouldn't believe... Attic Thoughts for hire off the shoulder of Brian... I watched ice-creams glitter in the park near the Tanz Der Leming mate. All those... moments... will be last in line, like [blows nose] gears... in... train. Time to whrrrr... of a bicycle built for click you see, this is my life, it always will be, nothing else, just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark!...
What?
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 14:56
Boston's first album (1976). 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 16:18
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Tomita has some of the blandest production it's been my displeasure to hear since I last heard a Rondo Veneziano album my Dyson vacuum cleaner has more dynamics than Pictures AT AN Exhibition... but hey-ho life goes on and it all pales into insignificance ... and I can say this "because" I've seen a photograph of AN EIGHT TRACK that was made in TAIWAN... when you experience the "whole" thing performed on STAGE by an albino elephant improvising a Tibetan nose flute without a safety net in a constant stream of constipation, where you get the full benefit of a really numb posterior that it turns itself over, figuratively, in your stomach so your feet face south while your head is still facing an uncertain past while worrying whether you left the gas on under the leftover right over left chilli you were reheating for your supper only then can you truly say that music as progressed and "has" become progressive by the very act "of" progressing because what the majority of folks over "there" don't hear and what they don't, literally, appreciate "is" that progress is not progression that progresses but "a" programme of prognostic progenies prognosticating prognathism because I've... bean tins you people wouldn't believe... Attic Thoughts for hire off the shoulder of Brian... I watched ice-creams glitter in the park near the Tanz Der Leming mate. All those... moments... will be last in line, like [blows nose] gears... in... train. Time to <font size="1" color="#999999">whrrrr... o<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">f a bicycle built for </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"><font size="1" color="#cccccc">click </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">y</span>ou see, this is my life, it always will be, nothing else, just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark!...
Are you feeling Ok, boss? Perhaps we could match up your lyrics with some computer composed music. Or maybe not.

"Doing the right thing is never superfluous."
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 16:41
CAN : FUTURE DAYS. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 16:47
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Yes...Steely Dan Aja was my first choice. Recording brilliance with regard to overall sonic brilliance and instrument details.

Tubular Bells (Vinyl bliss)
Peter Gabriel~So (That CD is amazing)
EW&F~All n All (Vinyl, the horn section kills it everytime!)
Steven Wilson~The Raven blah, blah (Vinyl, insane mastering by Alan Parsons)
Marillion~Brave (Vinyl, remix issue from 2013) Brilliant, the emtion just oozes.
Madaonna~Like A Virgin (CD, original DDD issue) No not prog, although she was progressive for what she did to music. The SQ is pristine, the drumming is tight and cranking this one is well called for.
Spooky Catch. Same picks as mine except for you know who. (I never did like Steven Wilson solo.)   
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 16:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Tomita has some of the blandest production it's been my displeasure to hear since I last heard a Rondo Veneziano album my Dyson vacuum cleaner has more dynamics than Pictures AT AN Exhibition... but hey-ho life goes on and it all pales into insignificance ... and I can say this "because" I've seen a photograph of AN EIGHT TRACK that was made in TAIWAN... when you experience the "whole" thing performed on STAGE by an albino elephant improvising a Tibetan nose flute without a safety net in a constant stream of constipation, where you get the full benefit of a really numb posterior that it turns itself over, figuratively, in your stomach so your feet face south while your head is still facing an uncertain past while worrying whether you left the gas on under the leftover right over left chilli you were reheating for your supper only then can you truly say that music as progressed and "has" become progressive by the very act "of" progressing because what the majority of folks over "there" don't hear and what they don't, literally, appreciate "is" that progress is not progression that progresses but "a" programme of prognostic progenies prognosticating prognathism because I've... bean tins you people wouldn't believe... Attic Thoughts for hire off the shoulder of Brian... I watched ice-creams glitter in the park near the Tanz Der Leming mate. All those... moments... will be last in line, like [blows nose] gears... in... train. Time to <font size="1" color="#999999">whrrrr... o<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">f a bicycle built for </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"><font size="1" color="#cccccc">click </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">y</span>ou see, this is my life, it always will be, nothing else, just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark!...
Are you feeling Ok, boss? Perhaps we could match up your lyrics with some computer composed music. Or maybe not.

</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span> </div><div class="Clear"></div><div class="ux-internav"><div class="toclevel2"></span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"><font size="1" color="#cccccc"><span class="unresolvedLink"><strong xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"></strong></span><div class="libraryMemberFilter"><div class="filterContainer"><span></span><label><font size="1" color="#999999"><input type="checkbox" class="libraryFilterInherited" checked="checked" value="Inherit" /></label><label><input type="checkbox" class="libraryFilterProtected" checked="checked" value="Protected" /></label></div></div><input type="hidden" id="libraryMemberFilterEmptyWarning" value="The Bleach Bouys are not Frodo Frog." /></span><span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"></span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"><font size="1" color="#cccccc"><steeleye></span>
What?
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 16:52
Beethoven's Complete Overtures (Masur - Gewandhausorchester Leipzig) - What a must!!  Majestic sound quality.

Edited by Rick Robson - September 16 2014 at 16:53

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 17:27
Put on the Japanese import CD (or if you can find it, an original first-isssue vinyl pressing) of Chris Squire's Fish Out of Water. Life changing.

Edited by Rednight - September 16 2014 at 17:29
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 18:50
I also think Marillion would help a lot in showing off your fine sound system
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 19:20
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

I also think Marillion would help a lot in showing off your fine sound system
Yes and with the album Brave. Absolutely stunning but get used to the dense sound before you turn it up. I warned you.

Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 01:12
I thought the last Ayreon album sounded AMAZING
progfan915 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 06:43
 Anthony Phillips' remastered Geese and the Ghost is one of the best sounding CD's I have. Spacious, crystal clear, gorgeous!
Stand up to the blow that fate has struck upon you,
Make the most of all you still have coming to you
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 06:54
Originally posted by KingBarbarossa KingBarbarossa wrote:

Wow, I would not have expected so much diversion in all these suggestions.

Also interesting that many of you are still recommending older recordings. In my experience they can sound beautiful, some remasters with added clarity on top, but would not necessarily be able to fill out the dynamic range (especially the bottom end) of a modern HiFi system.
This is why I tried to limit the suggestions to newer recordings.

I guess still that very few here has any faith that newer recording are better than the best of 60's/70's recorings. I mean check out some Rudy Van Gelder-produced 60's jazz classics and tell me newer stuff has better sound quality. 

Anyways here's a new ace-sounding suggestion: Guapo: Elixirs 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 07:47
Definitely not my favourite Tangerine Dream offering from the 70s, but Stratosfear and the way it's produced seems like a brilliant little record to put on, if you're looking for a litmus test of your rack. Play it loud. 
The bottom end of the sound spectrum is definitely taken care of, but it appears in an otherworldly light because of the lack of bass. On here it exudes through the sequencers and low register synth washes. If your system is good, it'll tell you first hand with an album like that. Safe to say it's forté lies in subtlety and how your system is able to annunciate it.
Like I said, it's by no means my fave of theirs, but the audio quality alone is to die for.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 08:43
I'd say Dark Side Of The Moon which is quite famous also for its sound in itself.
matty3198 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 16:17
Nowhere near prog, but Van Morrison's Moondance, the recent Warner reissue is the best audio experience ever.  
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 16:43
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Put on the Japanese import CD (or if you can find it, an original first-isssue vinyl pressing) of Chris Squire's Fish Out of Water. Life changing.
i'll have to check my LP to see if it's an original. I never paid too close attention to the sonic quality of that album.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>