Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Queen a sellout?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 08:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think they just ran out of ideas, but you never know. Ask David Bowie.
Queen were simply.....under pressure.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JellySucker View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 09:02
Queen used to be a good Prog band back when they weren't a money-seeking band, too bad their sound in the 80s isn't quite as good as it was back on the very first period of their career
I print dank quality M E M E stickers ° ͜ʖ ͡ -
last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jellypanini
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ProgRockTime

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 09:41
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Yes, they sold out. Because they should have been loyal to their yet-unborn fans who would protest later on the internet instead of trying to have a more comfortable living. 

Ya, its impossible to please everyone, and actually they have changed a lot from album to album right from the beginning. And they continued to do so throughout their career, sometimes to the better sometimes to the worse, a matter of taste.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 11:06
The first two records are in my personal top ten.  They were my favorite band in the 70s.  After hearing "Another One Bites the Dust," I never bought another record from them for almost thirty years.  I can appreciate much of their later material now, but I still can't handle "AOBtD."  
Looking forward to the new live album recorded in 1974 at the Rainbow coming out soon.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 16:44
Queen sold out more or less about the time Freddy Mercury died and they replaced him with that strange dude with short hair and that moustache.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 01:44
Trying to 'keep in touch' with then-modern music tendencies is always a kind of a sellout in some sense, so Queen were a sellout in 1977 when they left their prog influences and started to include punk and new wave sounds in their style.

But I don't care much about that since their stylistic updgrade (or downgrade) was quire successful, and although it's quite evident that none of their 80's albums were as good as Queen II or Sheer Heart Attack, even on their lowermost points like The Game they kept on as good songwriters who still could put nice catchy tunes. So they were looking much better in comparison with many 70's heavy rockers like Uriah Heep or Rainbow/Deep Purple, whose '80s' albums were not just poppy, but also quite boring and uninspired. Even Black Sabbath and Bowie, who entered the 80s with simply outstanding LPs couldn't maintain the same quality throughout the whole decade. So if Queen still could come up with songs like 'Princes of the Universe', 'Who Wants to Live Forever'. 'Hammer to Fall' or 'Save Me', does it matter whether it was a sellout or not?

Btw it still was great that in late 80's-early 90's they started to return to their prog roots with anthems like 'Was It All Worth It' and 'Innuendo', it's a shame this period couldn't last longer for them Unhappy

Edited by ole-the-first - August 31 2014 at 01:49
This night wounds time.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 23:20
For all we know, Mercury's health was beginning to deteriorate, which is why the musical quality began to slip.  

Whatever, I don't blame any bands (Yes, Genesis, Queen etc.) from "selling out" and cashing in on their fame.  These guys struggle and starve for many years, when pay-day comes around, who can blame them? 

They all left massive catalogs of quality music, and even the popular stuff had its moments if you listen.  
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 00:52
Glam rock band.
Most bands of the early 70s were prog related in some way. Queen were about 10% prog and the rest glam plop rock
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 09:52
Indeed Queen were never a 'prog band' and so could not technically sell out anyway. They had a remarkable career and achieved a great deal within the confines of rock and pop music. I respect them for what they were.

Edited by richardh - September 01 2014 at 09:54
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:05
I hate the term "selling out". It implies elitism. Like the band belongs only to a select group of people, and no-one else. And if more people grow to appreciate the band's music, the first group of fans become horribly defensive, like they're "bigger fans" of them than the new ones. "Oh, *I* liked them waaaaay before you".

People like that seriously need to lighten up. Music belongs to all of us.

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:08
One thing the proggofiles at PA, can’t be accused for, is leaving room for the artist to keep his artistic freedom of expression.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Indeed Queen were never a 'prog band' and so could not technically sell out anyway. They had a remarkable career and achieved a great deal within the confines of rock and pop music. I respect them for what they were.

I agree Richard.....good observation and comment.
Approve
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:18
Probably, but that doesn't meant they stopped making good music. "Under Pressure", "I Want To Break Free" "Radio Ga Ga", "Hammer To Fall", "One Vision", "Who Wants To Live Forever", "Innuendo", "I'm Going Slightly Mad" and "The Show Must Go On" are pretty good in my book. Of course, these are just the singles - I still needs to get their 1980 - 1991 albums - but, to me, it shows that Queen didn't lose it completely.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 12:27
Queen seemed to evolve they way they would have anyway. Pop-rock bands like hit singles, so after Killer Queen, that's what they naturally chased. It's not much more complex than that.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 16:19
They were always staying slightly prog but I like their pop songs very much.

Edited by terramystic - September 01 2014 at 16:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12