Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Foxx Vs. Midge Ure in Ultravox !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who do like better in Ultravox: John Foxx or Midge Ure?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [60.00%]
2 [40.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Foxx Vs. Midge Ure in Ultravox !!
    Posted: September 02 2014 at 19:30
Who do you like better in Ultravox: john Foxx or Midge Ure?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:06
I like both.......
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 01:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Who do you like better in Ultravox: john Foxx or Midge Ure?

Thank you very much, SteveG for being so diligent with this post/poll. I started a thread seeking to consider inclusion , via the prog-related genre because I have always felt that Ultravox , though not necessarily prog , does have the merits of being 'progressive' especially in lieu of the fact that the 3 John Foxx -era albums, are masterpieces of mood and fury. It was quickly poo-poo-ed as "pop" which I can certainly understand but even the Ure-era had plenty of gothic symphonics and classically-tinged melodies. In fact Ure's new album FRAGILE (coincidence, me thinks not) is simply divine. 
Ok, I am a fan, I have all U-vox, Foxx and Ure albums including compilations, having lived the demise of prog in 1977 and seeing Ultravox as a savior of some sorts. 
I must lean towards John Foxx, a voice , a genius and a mood that remains unparalleled , a true artist. I listen to 'Metal Beat ' and still hear it as future music.  

SteveG, you are my new hero...Big smile
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:43
Tszirmay,
I have all the early better known Ultravox albums but none of Foxx and Ure's solo things.....which ones by Foxx and Ure do you recommend?
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:19
Hmm, tough one. I like "Slow Motion" but I like "The Voice" more so I go for Midge.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 11:13
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Tszirmay,
I have all the early better known Ultravox albums but none of Foxx and Ure's solo things.....which ones by Foxx and Ure do you recommend?

Hey Doc!  

The most important is Systems of Romance , Foxx' last album with U-VOX. If you do not have that, its where you might start. Otherwise: Foxx: Metamatic, The Garden and The Golden Section are stunning , the compilations Metadelic and Metatronic are great (2CD+DVD) and inexpensive on Amazon. The more recent Interplay (Foxx & the Maths) is also a killer. 
Ure: obviously poppier but the new 2014 album Fragile is beyond expectations,with lush, grandiose melodies. I am waiting for two compilations  (The Works and Little Orphans) 

Please let me know what you think, we share many tastes. Big smile
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 13:12
BTW, John Foxx , as a visual artist, was responsible for Porcupine Tree's cover artwork for Lightbulb Sun. Just saying.....Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:09
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Tszirmay,

Hey Doc!  

The most important is Systems of Romance , Foxx' last album with U-VOX. If you do not have that, its where you might start. Otherwise: Foxx: Metamatic, The Garden and The Golden Section are stunning , the compilations Metadelic and Metatronic are great (2CD+DVD) and inexpensive on Amazon. The more recent Interplay (Foxx & the Maths) is also a killer. 
Ure: obviously poppier but the new 2014 album Fragile is beyond expectations,with lush, grandiose melodies. I am waiting for two compilations  (The Works and Little Orphans) 

I checked my vinyl...I have Systems Of Romance and The Garden with Foxx. Hadn't even recalled that since it's been awhile since I played them. I'll ck out the others you mentioned in time.
I'll also give a listen online to Fragile by Ure.
Smile
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:11

BTW, John Foxx , as a visual artist, was responsible for Porcupine Tree's cover artwork for Lightbulb Sun. Just saying.....Wink
Really....that's one of my favorite PT album covers .
Approve
Haquin
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:19

Tszirmay,

Hey Doc!  

I checked my vinyl...I have Systems Of Romance and The Garden with Foxx. Hadn't even recalled that since it's been awhile since I played them. I'll ck out the others you mentioned in time.
I'll also give a listen online to Fragile by Ure.
Smile

"Become" is the 'single' Its catchy but moody and is the least interesting song on the album. The rest is WOW. At least to my ears , way beyond the rather poor Ultravox album Brilliant (which wasn't Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply