Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis instrumentals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which one of these are you partial to?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [40.00%]
12 [60.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis instrumentals
    Posted: September 03 2014 at 17:50
One made the album, one didn't! But which is better? I like both, but I'm going with Tony's piece this time.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 19:50
Well I read in your other thread that you like some classical or 'erudit' elements put into prog, but then why choosing "Please Don't Touch" instead of "Kim"? Because talking about these three short pieces, Kim is some thousand miles ahead them when it comes to my taste, considering that I do love the erudit style of this piece.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 20:13
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Well I read in your other thread that you like some classical or 'erudit' elements put into prog, but then why choosing "Please Don't Touch" instead of "Kim"? Because talking about these three short pieces, Kim is some thousand miles ahead them when it comes to my taste, considering that I do love the erudit style of this piece.
I think it was chosen because it was a legit contender for inclusion on the Wind and Wuthering album as a Hackett composition, but "Wot Gorilla" beat it out, I guess.  Maybe it even added to Steve's discontent and decision to leave.

Anyway, I'll side with Stevo on this one. "Please Don't Touch" is excellent.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 20:22
hmmm, Los Endos would be my pick but you go beyond that. what about In That Quiet Earth, hmm? sry, but no vote here. wait, did that make sense?
Progrockdude
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 20:32
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

One made the album, one didn't! But which is better? I like both, but I'm going with Tony's piece this time.

Wot Gorilla isn't a Tony Banks song. Phil Collins is also credited for the songwriting, so it's a Banks/Collins tune.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 20:43
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

I think it was chosen because it was a legit contender for inclusion on the Wind and Wuthering album as a Hackett composition, but "Wot Gorilla" beat it out, I guess.  Maybe it even added to Steve's discontent and decision to leave.

Anyway, I'll side with Stevo on this one. "Please Don't Touch" is excellent.

Surprised to know that Steve Hackett wanted "Please Don't Touch" to be included on the Wind and Wuthering album, then I think you are right about this Steve's discontent, who knows?

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 21:38
Huge Hackett fan but don't think Please Don't Touch is his best instrumental and know it was rejected by Genesis---and for good reason--it sounds like it's a better fit for Hackett's solo career. Voted Wot Gorilla---not the greatest either but okay. Like Phil's Brand X approach to percussion in any case.Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:12
Right now I'm in a phase of rather dislike towards the man. Mainly since I just realised that a fair part of how bad Yes's last album may come to him. However, I guess I haven't been particularly impress with his work since the beginning, for both Yes albums with him are among their weakest, and I can think of no song on those albums that I really love (though their are about 2 songs that I do like). Then there's Conspiracy... also some good songs, but nothing really great. Then, there's the bunch of tribute albums, which I have always been interested in because I find it nice to check out how the lot of prog giants that guest on those albums play the music Sherwood chose to cover. And then there's the Prog Collective (I've only heard the first one, and haven't heard the Fusion Sindicate)... well, I hoped to get some really nice music from that one, but not really, barely one nice song.

And then it hit me, one of the things that's bothered me so much of the music in which Sherwood is involved are the vocals. Even if he doesn't sing, his vocal melodies and harmonies and so on just sound so annoying and tired. That's what bothers me most of his albums with Yes and Conspiracy, and The Prog Collective. And it wasn't enough that he ruined the vocal melodies with Jon Anderson (one of my favourite singers), but he even managed to ruin Annies Haslam's contribution on the Prog Collective thing... I mean, whatever did he want such a unique and wonderful singer just to make her sound completley generic... I think he even had the bad taste to use some vocoder with her singing.

And then I just read that Yes involved Billy Sherwood on the last album because they weren't working well with the producer they had chosen, and so he came in to finish the work, since they already knew him and he "knew" how to work with them. And he came mainly to work with the vocals... and it might just be that what makes the album so bland. His work on the vocals aren't as obvious as it were with the Prog Collective, but it might just as well be enough to drag down the album. I mean, the songwriting was rather poor on most of the album anyways, but at least the first and last songs are rather enjoyable, but the vocals sound just wrong (specially on the last song), and I'm thinking that maybe it's not just the interpretation, but the mixing of them that sucked the life out of them.

The project that I haven't checked out from him is "Circa", which I was interested because of it's Yes collaborations (mainly Tony Kaye), but I was rather ready to let it go because of all that I just said. However, I heard some bits of that project on YouTube, and that one may just as well be a bit better, I would have to hear it more. The vocal lines didn't sound so horrible, as far as I remember, and his bass playing was actually very cool.

On a last note, the one song from him that I do like a lot, it Yes's "The More we Live, let go", in which as far as I understand he didn't really play, but it was written by him... and that would be my absolute favourite song from him. Also, rather apart from prog and Yes, there's a song from Air Supply that I really like a lot, "The Vanishing Race", and later on I found out that he played on that song, and I think he was involved in it's writing (or perhaps he wrote the whole song? I don't really remember)... however, that song I really like a lot, too.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:20
Well Dellinger I agree Sherwood is one of the worst things that happened to Yes---He has an AOR/generic esthetic that is so not what I want for Yes. He was brought in to mix the vocals along with the rest of Yes---they can always get him cheap and they were running out of money and time. He has a hair band 80's sound happening that is just bad.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 00:40
I usually love Genesis instrumental pieces, but Wot Gorilla? Never did anything for me. It seemed not very imaginative to me. Even the best part, Phil's intro, I found a little bit boring. Please Don't Touch was experimenting with the vibrato bar to great effect, it had a better arrangement and was more internally complex, and it would have provided a harder edge to an album that Mike Rutherford described as "a very feminine album". For those that maybe don't know, the lack of inclusion of Please Don't Touch was what made Steve leave the band. It gets me annoyed too, when Banks and Rutherford make comments in interviews to the effect that Steve was not such a great song writer. He has a solo career that proves otherwise.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 00:50
Please don't touch gets my vote. It's a more thoughtful composition.

Wot Gorilla is a bit of a throw away number in my opinion. It's as if they had to come up with some filler so Phil and Tony tossed this one off in their lunch hour.

Phil didn't like Please Don't Touch apparently. That appears to be the reason why they dropped it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 01:02
Please Don't Touch
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 01:25
Indeed, the two were picked as I recall reading Wot Gorilla was picked against Please Don't Touch.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 01:46
Wot Gorilla, 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 02:52
Please don't Touch is a very erratic album, but the title track is excellent.

Much better than Wot Gorilla.

I'm not surprised Steve got Hacketted off and left; the rest of the band simply ignored the excellent material he was producing. Mind you, he also wrote some utter crap!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 03:05
\

By a margin.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:42
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I usually love Genesis instrumental pieces, but Wot Gorilla? Never did anything for me. It seemed not very imaginative to me. Even the best part, Phil's intro, I found a little bit boring. Please Don't Touch was experimenting with the vibrato bar to great effect, it had a better arrangement and was more internally complex, and it would have provided a harder edge to an album that Mike Rutherford described as "a very feminine album". For those that maybe don't know, the lack of inclusion of Please Don't Touch was what made Steve leave the band. It gets me annoyed too, when Banks and Rutherford make comments in interviews to the effect that Steve was not such a great song writer. He has a solo career that proves otherwise.

So true---although not crazy about Please DOn't Touch--would have liked to hear the band's version of it--(wonder if there are any recordings?) But it also angers me that Banks and Rutherford couldn't have thrown Hackett a bone and included the song--I mean it seems they were antagonizing him--but Banks has said--don't know why he left there were lot's of his bits on W&W. Hackett was also becoming confident as his first album sold so many copies and was such a success.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:55
Wot?
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 09:07
Los Endos or Horizons.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 09:10
Please Don't Touch
Welcome to the middle of the film.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>