Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSix Wives v Voyage of the Acolyte

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which is your preferred album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [36.07%]
39 [63.93%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 22:30
Voyage......all the songs are great but Shadow of the Heirophant is superb.; one of my all time favorite tracks from any prog album.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 23:13
Wakeman
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 00:45
I love both albums but I voted for eggs & Wakey!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:25
Mr. Hackett's Voyage.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:38
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Zenbadger Zenbadger wrote:

Went with Wives. 
I think it's more of a complete album and I listen to it more than Voyage.
Although I love 'A Tower Struck Down' from voyage. 
Great stuff!
I haven't got many Wakeman solo albums, I've heard that 'No Earthly Connection' is his best.
Need to check that out..

Actually, I was rather disapointed with "No Earthly Connection"... it's got one suposedly "epic" long song, but it was too disjointed and didn't work well as a single piece. It's got the song "The Prisoner", which I like very much, and some melodies on the main No Earthly Connection are really good, but the lack of cohesion don't let me enjoy them so well. I much prefer the shortened version Wakeman played on the "Out of the Blue" live album... there he just nailed down the best parts of the album perfectly and make those wondeful melodies much more enjoyable. As for Wakeman's best albums, I would say they are Six Wives itself and the King Arthur album. Also, "Out There", which features the same linup from the Out of the Blue live album I just wrote about. And then, Criminal Record too. And last of his great albums for me would be Journey to the Center of the Earth.

No Earthly Connection is not where you want to start with Rick's work.  Rick's best is easily Journey to the Center of the Earth.  Nearly everything we love and hate about prog shows up on that album..  After that, Criminal Record from his classic period.  There are some gems hidden away in his later work as well, like Out There as mentioned above (supposedly a sequel to No Earthly Connection btw), Soft Sword, Retro 2, The Seven Wonders of the World, etc., etc.

With Wakeman's vast and varied output, a lot depends on what style of his playing you like.  For example, Rhapsoies leaves me cold because the style doesn't work for me.

And Hackett's masterpiece is easily Spectral Mornings.

Edited by ghost_of_morphy - September 05 2014 at 10:41
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:44
Voyage of the Acolyte.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 12:08
Acolyte by a hair.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 12:09
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Went with Wives. 
Great stuff!
I haven't got many Wakeman solo albums, I've heard that 'No Earthly Connection' is his best.
Need to check that out..

Actually, I was rather disapointed with "No Earthly Connection"... it's got one suposedly "epic" long song, but it was too disjointed and didn't work well as a single piece. It's got the song "The Prisoner", which I like very much, and some melodies on the main No Earthly Connection are really good, but the lack of cohesion don't let me enjoy them so well. I much prefer the shortened version Wakeman played on the "Out of the Blue" live album... there he just nailed down the best parts of the album perfectly and make those wondeful melodies much more enjoyable. As for Wakeman's best albums, I would say they are Six Wives itself and the King Arthur album. Also, "Out There", which features the same linup from the Out of the Blue live album I just wrote about. And then, Criminal Record too. And last of his great albums for me would be Journey to the Center of the Earth.

No Earthly Connection is not where you want to start with Rick's work.  Rick's best is easily Journey to the Center of the Earth.  Nearly everything we love and hate about prog shows up on that album..  After that, Criminal Record from his classic period.  There are some gems hidden away in his later work as well, like Out There as mentioned above (supposedly a sequel to No Earthly Connection btw), Soft Sword, Retro 2, The Seven Wonders of the World, etc., etc.
With Wakeman's vast and varied output, a lot depends on what style of his playing you like.  For example, Rhapsoies leaves me cold because the style doesn't work for me.

What a novel idea for a thread in this forum: Everything you love and hate about prog. As for Spectral Mornings "easily" being Mr. Hackett's masterpiece, there's nothing easy about it when held up against its two predecessors. They both continue to amaze. I personally put 'Mornings on during lazy Sunday afternoons while getting in a catnap (or two). It's lovely background music.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 12:29
Voyage of the Acolyte gets my vote but since I'm such a Hackett fanatic, it shouldn't be surprising to any one. I think the problem I have with Wakeman's music is there's really nothing memorable about it to me. It just goes in one ear and out the other. Even if Hackett were to bore me, he always has something much more musically interesting to say than Wakeman IMHO. I do love Wakeman's work with Yes however.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 12:40
Voyage is a great album

but I am blown away every time I list to 6 wives

Wakeman for me
Prog On!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 21:54

Went with Wives. 
Great stuff!
Need to check that out..

I'm still missing Softsword. Perhaps I should get it, but right now I haven't been focused on getting more Wakeman albums (OK, at least I know I do have to get the new Journey to the Center of the Earth studio album). I also don't have the Seven Wonders album, but I do have the Middle Earth album, which as far as I understand is almost the Seven Wonders one (minus one song) plus two songs from another album. However, it's got the names changed to fit the Tolkien books. Actually, I'm not even sure if Rick was responsible for the creation of this album or if it was all the Record companies doing.

If you are mentioning Retro 2, I guess the first Retro album should be mentioned too. Also, there is the Stella Bianca album, which is rather in the soft side, and perhaps rather New Agey, but I really enjoy every song from it.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 22:57
Voyage ... . Sounds more personal, intimate.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 18:54

Also, there is the Stella Bianca album, which is rather in the soft side, and perhaps rather New Agey, but I really enjoy every song from it.

personally am not fond of those albums where Rick drifts into New Age (Chronicles of Man, The Natural World et al.}, but like I say Rick's discography is so huge and he explores so many styles there is something for nearly everyone in there.  
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 21:11
It doesn't surprise me that Hackett's Acolyte is winning this poll. I always thought of him as a guitarist who was more concerned about a melody and the composition itself than guitar pyrotechnics. Wakeman, on the other hand, can get out of hand if he's not being carefully reeled in by a more dominant musician. He has a tendency to show-off and forget about the song at hand. I think he can be a lyrical player if he truly wants to but on his own I find him to be just a little too much to take in.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 02:05
Six Wives
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 18:48

Rick Wakeman, The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 19:37
Today maybe Six Wives... but perhaps tomorrow VOTA... and after tomorrow VOTA again... Maybe... Six Wives next week,
etc.

To be honest I never cared to make any sort of measure between my favourite albums and/or favourite artists under any sort of circumstance at all.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 23:15
Voyages.  It's much more enjoyable to listen to and much better musically, but I do like Wives.
Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 06:30

Went with Wives. 
Great stuff!
Need to check that out..

I haven't got a vast amount of Hackett's solo stuff., just Voyage, Defektor and Please Don't Touch.I find them all to be a bit of a mixed bag if  I'm being honest. I think it was the combination of Hackett and Banks that made 70's Genesis so magical to me.Banks without Hackett and you get 'And Then There Were Three" or 'A Curious Feeling'. Hackett without Banks and you get 'Voyage of The Acolyte'.All great albums ( all a strong 3/5 in my opnion) but each has something missing. Such a shame they never worked together after W&W.

My local music store has 2 for 1 Prog deal at the moment. Spectral Mornings is in that so I'll pick it up and give that a try!

Edited by Zenbadger - September 10 2014 at 06:31
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 07:19
Six Wives as I think this is Rick's best album, whereas my favourite Steve Hackett one is Spectral Mornings.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>