Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do you think of ELP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What do you think of ELP (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [29.70%]
17 [16.83%]
34 [33.66%]
8 [7.92%]
3 [2.97%]
5 [4.95%]
1 [0.99%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.99%]
2 [1.98%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 01:21
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Their debut sucks.  I do not get what people love about it.  It's three guys who have no cohesiveness.

Tarkus is three guys who are awesome together

Trilogy is a very good album.

Brain Salad Surgery is also wonderful.

After that, nothing great.

interesting as the debut rates a full 0.3 of a point on average higher than the next 3 studio albums. I often think that the debut rates higher because it doesn't have the 'fun tracks' though.

In my view Barbarian , Knife Edge and Lucky Man have plenty of cohesiveness although you may well be right about the other tracks

Edited by richardh - September 08 2014 at 01:22
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 01:22
An important and often thrilling defining prog band, who recorded one of my favourite prog albums (their debut), but they are certainly not one of my very favourites, so I chose the third option.

I still can't warm to BSS's `Karn Evil 9', those circus lyrics make me cringe and drive me up the wall!

Love the debut, mostly really enjoy much of `Tarkus', `Trilogy', `BSS' and `E.L.Powell', but I can mostly leave the rest.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 01:23
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

An important and often thrilling defining prog band, who recorded one of my favourite prog albums (their debut), but they are certainly not one of my very favourites, so I chose the third option.

I still can't warm to BSS's `Karn Evil 9', those circus lyrics make me cringe and drive me up the wall!

Love the debut, mostly really enjoy much of `Tarkus', `Trilogy', `BSS' and `E.L.Powell', but I can mostly leave the rest.

Its a Carnival not a CircusWinkSmile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 01:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Its a Carnival not a CircusWinkSmile

Point taken!
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 02:17
Good band: I like them but not one of my very favorites, but I do love a lot Tarkus
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 02:28
My favourite band so voted for the first option. And well played Richard for bravely fending off those ELP-dissing googlies and bouncers with such an effectively dead bat, you sir are the Chris Tavare of Progarchives! Wonder if there's a soul on here who'll get that reference? Geek
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 07:44
They are one of the cornerstones of prog for me

Option #1
Prog On!
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 08:07
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

To me they are fundamental. It's a pity that they've been the first big band which has lost its quality leaving us only a bunch of excellent albums and at least the same amount of rubbish.

I would argue that you could say that about almost any prog band. ELP produced some bad albums (In The Hot Seat and Love Beach) a few mediocre albums (Works 2 , ELPowell, Black Moon) on top of the classic early releases. I don't believe that put out a vast amount of crap. When things started going wrong they 'got out' rather than just plough an AOR /pop furrow for the whole of the eighties like Yes and Genesis pretty much did.

ClapClap

Edited by Rick Robson - September 08 2014 at 08:08

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 08:36

ELP top 10?  sh*t yea!  Top 5!

Yes

Genesis

Gentle Giant

King Crimson

ELP

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 08:58
Nice to see some long-standing fans chiming in
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 09:03
Used to appreciate them more---but they haven't held up for me like Yes or Genesis---the real problem for me is the sound of 3 piece bands sounds incomplete to me---love keys but need an outstanding guitarist.Wink
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 09:28
I'll concur with others here in that there are distinct tracks and pieces of music by ELP that are absolutely stellar, but they never really made an entire album that I would place among my top albums.  I think they were always struggling to find an identity and never quite did so, i.e., I think Keith wanted the band to be a vehicle to highlight his playing and adaptations of various classical pieces, where Greg was more songwriting/pop focused.

Of course, whatever our collective criticism it sure didn't hurt their bank accounts in the 1970s.

Edited by Padraic - September 08 2014 at 09:30
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 09:59
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Eh? 

THOSE WHO KNOW MUSIC MUST LIKE ELP, NO? THEN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THEIR COMPOSITIONS. 

No,what I'm saying is, stating that ELP were putting technical skills ahead of composition doesn't wash with me. If that were the case they'd sound more like today's so called prog bands who spend more time ripping through 32nd note scales than actually writing music that will not stand any test of time. Believe me, just because someone "knows music" as you put it, doesn't mean they have to "LIKE" any of it. I'm sure there are plenty of highly educated music professionals who wouldn't walk across the street for prog or classic rock or even blues for that matter. None of that has to do with their "understanding" the compositions. Someone with a music education would understand that technical ability is a result of the composition in this particular case not the primary function.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 10:01
I'm wondering what those who put down that they don't like ELP to one extent or another think of Gentle Giant. I'd say both bands were guilty of a lot of the same things(showing off, self indulgence, excessiveness etc).
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 10:05
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I think they were always struggling to find an identity and never quite did so, i.e., I think Keith wanted the band to be a vehicle to highlight his playing and adaptations of various classical pieces, where Greg was more songwriting/pop focused.

I get that, although I guess growing up with ELP acclimated me to the possibility that this was their identity. Hard ass kicking keyboard driven progressive music spiced with beautifully sung ballads (up until a point mind you). I've no doubt Keith's vision really drove the band overall, but I did, and do, appreciate the diversity of the music presented (up until a point mind you)  Wink
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 10:11
I don't know the answer to this, but I wonder how much of the Keith-Classical vs Greg/song-based dichotomy was by design (for variety) and how much of it was truly a struggle for domination of the band's direction.  Any thoughts? In other words, was the band happy with this two sided identity, or was it merely a compromise?  And how about Carl?  He had his own side of the coin too, what with things like side 3 of Works and "Bullfrog" and stuff like that.

Edited by HolyMoly - September 08 2014 at 10:12
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Blind_3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 10:45
As a Keyboard player, you'd think that they'd be one of my favourites.

Although I greatly admire Keith Emerson's skill on they keys, I find myself not able to enjoy the music as I find it a little overkill, technical, showboaty for the sake of being overkill, technical, and showboaty. I do like a few of their songs, but for the most part I find myself unable to enjoy ELP. I have the same hangups with Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani, all great musicians and I have a great amount of respect for them, but I find their music overkill from a songwriting perspective.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 10:48
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I don't know the answer to this, but I wonder how much of the Keith-Classical vs Greg/song-based dichotomy was by design (for variety) and how much of it was truly a struggle for domination of the band's direction.  Any thoughts? In other words, was the band happy with this two sided identity, or was it merely a compromise?  And how about Carl?  He had his own side of the coin too, what with things like side 3 of Works and "Bullfrog" and stuff like that.

I think compromise v. design.  Actually watched a documentary recently, when Keith presented Greg with Tarkus, Greg almost walked out; it wasn't the music or vision he had for the band, but it certainly was Keith's vision.  Somehow they coaxed him into embracing it.  Likewise, I think Keith was always sort of pissed off that "Lucky Man" was the "hit" of the debut, overshadowing all of his pieces somewhat.

Never quite sure what Carl wanted, but I guess maybe more the Keith vision as it allowed him to show off his chops better?  I think he just wanted to play, and the more complex the better.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 11:04
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Well I think the only compromise of a great band is with the own musical realization of their members, unless they are engaged in a concept project which in some way establish a previous context for his compositions. So neither a two sided identity would ever work at all, I understand that any band indentity does have to do also with different feeling and thinking minds working together, otherwise their music would turn out boring to me.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 11:23
I think of ELP as a very intelligent pop band. I don't want to argue over words, so let me explain why I'm making that comparison. When I listen to, say, N'Sync or something, there's obviously a tightness to the musicians and the production, and some good ideas, but nothing more. ELP is similar in that sense— their compositions are really tight and filled with interesting ideas (and obviously way more complex than N'Sync, just to clarify), but they don't satisfy those wanting more thematic and atmospheric content. If you try to look for it, you will be disappointed, as is my experience with ELP, especially with Tarkus. They're the kind of band that, when I listen to them, I go through alternating 10-second periods of "cool!" and "eww." Maybe it's their design to be a little bit cringe-y, but, if so, I still haven't figured out why.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>