Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rush: How did they conquer the 80's with integrity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush: How did they conquer the 80's with integrity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush: How did they conquer the 80's with integrity
    Posted: September 25 2014 at 19:25
^Still a classic! Two thumbs up! Thumbs UpThumbs Up
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 13:46
Rush: How did they conquer the 80's with integrity

with some comedy...oooooohh, scarrry!

LOL

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 13:33
^Sometimes I think that the eighties to people, and I include myself with this group at times, regrettably, is automatically seen as a poor time in rock music and dump eighties era Rush with the rest of the trash.

I think it's important to keep in mind that eighties artists like KC and Peter Gabriel (The Last Temptation soundtrack) were doing some incredible stuff at that time and that Neo-prog, even though it's not a favorite genre of mine, put out incredible albums from Marillion's Script to Soltice's first album (a personal favorite from that era.)

Perhaps we all need to get over the eighties and get just on with it.

Edited by SteveG - September 18 2014 at 13:34
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 12:15
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Hi Steve, you're right, there are no 3 minute songs, etc. However, it all seems so "designed to please a crowd", ie product rather than music. Other posts here have noted that Rush indeed did play to an audience. I think my dislike of 80's Rush is more a dislike of the music of that period in general. 

I don't read that...Rush have always been about what they want to do as a band. Not really what fans and certainly the record companies want. If they played and designed to please a crowd, we would have seen more releases like 2112, Hemispheres and AFTK.

The vast majority of Rush fans progressed along with their musical progression into that 80's sound. Their concert crowds and popularity continued to grow during this time and it is when they went to an "Evening with Rush" concert format as fans wanted to hear more, so rather than the 1.5hr show with opening act it is now a 3hr show.

Its fine to dislike that period but I don't believe it is because they designed a sound to please the fans.....That is when bands fall apart, I doubt that ever happens to them.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 11:55
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Rush was a hard rock/heavy metal band that had prog leanings.....think Zep on Houses or the Sabs on Tech Ec.  They streamlined their sound in the 80s but it really wasn't a giant leap away from what they were doing.  In fact, a lot of Hemispheres and Farewell hint at that streamlined sound that started with Moving.  Similarly, Crimson streamlined their 80s sound, but, man, the jump from Red to Discipline is vast.....like Evel Knievel jumping the Grand Canyon.

Well said. Clap
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 11:52
Clever usage of the ol Trojan horse is my guess.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 11:46
Rush was a hard rock/heavy metal band that had prog leanings.....think Zep on Houses or the Sabs on Tech Ec.  They streamlined their sound in the 80s but it really wasn't a giant leap away from what they were doing.  In fact, a lot of Hemispheres and Farewell hint at that streamlined sound that started with Moving.  Similarly, Crimson streamlined their 80s sound, but, man, the jump from Red to Discipline is vast.....like Evel Knievel jumping the Grand Canyon.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:14
As for how Rush conquered the 80s etc, well, the mistake people make is to lump them with the other, and older, prog rock bands of the time.  Rush were a bigger influence on prog metal rather than prog rock and even some out and out metal bands like Iron Maiden were influenced by them (especially Somewhere in Time phase).  80s was the heyday of metal so Rush's music comfortably fitted in with the music aesthetics of that time whereas the older prog rock bands found their trademark instruments and tones sounding outdated and out of fashion and were forced to make an adjustment that wasn't very comfortable for most of them.  King Crimson could, but only by completely changing their style to the point where it had almost nothing to do with their 70s output and also including artists like Adrian Belew in the fold who actually knew what to make of the 80s.  Rush were younger than the likes of Yes or Genesis and being a little more on the metal side could make the adjustment more easily.  Even Iron Maiden wrote some really long, though not necessarily prog, tracks in that period so the rules of mainstream rock and pop did not apply to metal.  Same goes for Queenrsyche whose most ambitious phase fell square in the mid-late 80s. 
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 04:47
Hi Steve, you're right, there are no 3 minute songs, etc. However, it all seems so "designed to please a crowd", ie product rather than music. Other posts here have noted that Rush indeed did play to an audience. I think my dislike of 80's Rush is more a dislike of the music of that period in general. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 19:43
Given the state of prog in that decade, Rush was not so much the conqueror of the 80s but more like the fly on top of the sh*t.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 13:39
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Anything after Moving Pictures leaves me utterly cold. It all smacks of "sell out" to me. 

Interesting...can you expand your thoughts. Its very rare someone calls Rush 80's forward as sell out, or any sell out.

There is no pop music sound, no ballads , no 3 minute songs...Most complain of the synth sound, hence the "synth era" as a problem or just dislike.
Clap
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 11:53

Anything after Moving Pictures leaves me utterly cold. It all smacks of "sell out" to me. 

By this logic, they've been a sell-out since before that. They started out playing heavy blues rock in the vain of Led Zeppelin and the Who. The music was popular, so they played it. By 1975, prog was gaining some popularity on this side of the pond, so Rush began releasing some proggy albums. This continues on through the synthy, new wave era of the 80's.

I think Rush took popular sounds and styles and just incorporated it into their own, rather than completely transitioning. Also, Geddy knew how to play piano before Rush was even formed, so to him, the synths and other various were probably really exciting new toys for him to play with, rather than taking them up to streamline their sound.

Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 11:19

Interesting...can you expand your thoughts. Its very rare someone calls Rush 80's forward as sell out, or any sell out.

There is no pop music sound, no ballads , no 3 minute songs...Most complain of the synth sound, hence the "synth era" as a problem or just dislike.

Edited by Catcher10 - September 13 2014 at 11:19
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 10:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

This is obviously some definition of conquer which I am heretofore unaware.

For the sake of the question, let's imagine that the eighties was the most popular period for Rush.

Was?
I'm sorry if I speak of 'general public' generalizations at times, but the early eighties was Rush's most popular era with FM radio singles like New Word Man through to Subdivisions and (Heaven forbid) MTV music videos with Gedd even sporting a mullet and skinny tie on Time Stand Still.They also had the record sales to back it up with Permenant Waves and Signals both going 4X platinum each. But if you think I'm incorrect, I'm all ears.

"Doing the right thing is never superfluous."

I'm just being obnoxious like a few others in this thread. Embarrassed

No I think you're right. The 80's was indeed their hayday. That said, they were able to ride that train into the 90's and beyond better than any other 60's/70's band, and not because they were rehashing old stuff or releasing streamlined music.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 09:23
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

For the sake of the question, let's imagine that the eighties was the most popular period for Rush.

Was?
I'm sorry if I speak of 'general public' generalizations at times, but the early eighties was Rush's most popular era with FM radio singles like New World Man through to Subdivisions and (Heaven forbid) MTV music videos with Gedd even sporting a mullet and skinny tie on Time Stand Still.They also had the record sales to back it up with Permenant Waves and Signals both going 4X platinum each. But if you think I'm incorrect, I'm all ears.

"Doing the right thing is never superfluous."

Edited by SteveG - September 13 2014 at 13:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 18:33

Was?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 15:30

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 14:36
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Until they sold out.  *cough* The Joshua Tree *cough*

That ENO nerd, spoils everything   
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 13:55
Until they sold out.  *cough* The Joshua Tree *cough*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>