Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Peter Gabriel solo Vs. Peter Gabriel with Genesis
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Gabriel solo Vs. Peter Gabriel with Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Gabriel Solo Vs Gabriel with Genesis
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
54 [68.35%]
20 [25.32%]
5 [6.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 14:18
I saw peter gabriel live for the "Us" tour.  I left so disappointed.  The man is proficient with just about every instrument and all he did was dance around with big pants and sing.  He managed to sit behind the piano for one song and that was it.   

I missed the days he played flute and oboe and stuff like that with Genesis.  I feel he was a musician then... Now he's just another "performer".. .Lame lame lame.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 15:52
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

To close for me to call. Absolutely love Nursery Crime, Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound. If pressed, Supper's Ready is probably my all-time favorite prog song. But then again, I love Melt and Security. My wife at the time, surprised me with tickets to see Gabriel at Madison Square Garden on the So - another excellent solo effort - tour. Fantastic show - one of my all-time favorite shows. At the time, seeing Biko done live was a nearly religious experience. I also saw him on the Us tour. Good show, but didn't have the same impact as that first show.

"Biko" was always that cue to leave the concert hall and beat everyone else out of the parking lot. Just dreadful to have to sit through. I mean I love his work and all, but one could say he jumped the shark with that one.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 21:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Genesis era for me.....I only like his first 4 solo albums, after that I found them a bit boring.

Well, he didn't do much more than 4 albums with Genesis anyway, so I would go comparing the quality of those 4 solo albums vs the 4, 5, or 6 albums that you might like best with Genesis and choose from that (I'm afraid I don't know his solo albums, so I wouldn't be able to do so myself, but from what little I have heard from his solo output, I'm not really so interested, except for his third album, and perhaps a few live ones).
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 21:46
As much as I love PG era Genesis I voted for PG solo. I feel that he developed more as a solo artist than when he was with the band. I won't go so far as to say that Genesis held him back but I do think he is someone who had more to say on his own than with a band. He has had a very varied and diverse solo career and I don't think he would have been able to do some of those things if he were with Genesis or any other band.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - September 10 2014 at 21:47
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 22:07
It's a bit of a trick question; I'd say I prefer Genesis' music generally over Gabriel solo.  But as for Gabriel as an individual artist/singer, I would say I prefer his solo work.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TheOcean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 14:31
Genesis! But that may just be because i grew up with Genesis and Gabriel has always been my favorite in the band, though i LOVE Collins effort! ...But i gotta admit that Gabriel's solo stuff is very interesting to listen to and his voice is stunning.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 23:06
Very tough call. Going to go with PG solo. Not that it's better or worse, I like is voice better solo.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 01:55
I'm still exploring his solo catalogue and I love some stuff but less keen about other stuff. Its a real mixture and I think that is the appeal of PG solo. Genesis were much more set musically and it always struck me that from a technical standpoint they were not as interesting as King Crimson and ELP. In summation Genesis are easier to listen to while PG challenges the listener.
Perhaps I can pick my favourite PG album (Car) and pit it against my favourite Genesis (with PG) album Foxtrot. Its a close call as both are masterpieces in my book. Struggling to decide but will go with solo.

Edited by richardh - November 24 2014 at 01:55
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 13:31
Solo by far; his voice is much better!
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:38

Hi,

I like them both, but if Peter maybe more "with it" solo, and hipper than thou, he actually was much more interesting and artistic with Genesis ... and I still think that "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" was far better than anything else he did, and he gave up on his inner movie for a bunch of pop songs!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:50
Can't possibly choose, with Genesis he had the string of Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway...

... but solo we got the impeccable [Melt] and Passion, plus some very good pop tunes off [Car] and So.

Heck, Collins drummed on [Melt], and said that he thought that Gabriel had saved some of his best material for solo work rather than using them for Genesis albums. Just remember that solo Gabriel helped pioneer World music. It all evens out for me.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:54
I still listen to old Genesis all the time. Cant remember the last time I put one of his solo albums on.  I never found them to be that interesting.

side note - I remember PG#2 being one of the muddiest albums ever.  not sure if I got a bad pressing or if that was the way it was recorded.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:09
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

I still listen to old Genesis all the time. Cant remember the last time I put one of his solo albums on.  I never found them to be that interesting.

side note - I remember PG#2 being one of the muddiest albums ever.  not sure if I got a bad pressing or if that was the way it was recorded.

On The Air was a great track live but sounds pretty awful on the album so yes I think you are correct. The rest of the album is not much better. PG2 is not a loved album for sure.
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:56
As much as I love a lot of Peter's solo stuff there is no way he could match (IMHO) the brilliance of The Lamb, SEBTP and Foxtrot.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 16:25
Peter Genesis
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 16:54
Easy vote for Genesis.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 17:42
Gabriel solo all the way. In my opinion, he really came into his own both as a singer and a songwriter when he left Genesis. Some of the songs on his solo albums eclipse anything he did with Genesis.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 17:53
Never say "never" or "anything."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 17:56
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Gabriel solo all the way. In my opinion, he really came into his own both as a singer and a songwriter when he left Genesis. Some of the songs on his solo albums eclipse anything he did with Genesis.

hell yeah.  Genesis don't put me to sleep not because I don't like them... it is because they are boring as hell. A group where the parts FAR exceeded the sum.

Now Gabriel's solo material.. that is a completely different story. I can dig that big time. Clap

Once out of that group.. they shined brightly.  Gabriel almost as much as Hackett did
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 18:08
Gabriel solo up to " Security" - San Jacinto perhaps his best individual solo song

After that his good work became patchy and nothing since " Up" which was mighty fine.

All his work with Genesis was epic so I would have to go with that. " The Lamb" quite simply his finest 91 minutes
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>