Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill piracy kill off prog rock ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 03:09
Actually, that's quite an interesting point... :-)

Then I type in "Tangerine Dream" on YouTube and there's thousands of videos which can all be ripped off. Wonder how many people just use their PC's as radio stations rather than buying a CD ?
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 03:41
Complicated times.

I noted a couple of interesting point sin the music creation observation "many bands / artists making music the way they want as well as someone "not connecting on a human level with what is created." Roughly cited.

Firstly most artists do that (if it's popular it' selling out if not it's integrity).

The record companies did used to invest and in some cases still do but primarily the, for want of a more attractive phrase, lowest common denominator oriented artist. Piracy of the hugely backed pop stars hurt the record companies. A very small indie artist getting pirated - well that might actually be encouraging and a record company may view piracy of someone withiout the backing as worthy of note.

Recently people resented being given an "apparently" free (no cash off the consumer) download of one of the most popular bands on the planet - U2. While I think it is the imposition of an unauthorised file set on someone's hard media that really caused the resentment, instead of saying thank you I'll smoke it later (d/l to Pc) to free phone space) they got angry.

The choice had been taken out of their hands. I think an authority will tell people to do something and they will do it - look at armies conscripting civilians and getting them to kill.

Music commerce has moved from rich patrons of composers, to include concert attendees, and finally the shopping fan. Now who pays for it? The player, producer in the hope that someone will hear and like. I think many of the artist now, thanks to the technology) are probably the listeners of not so long ago.

Most people are not as music / commerce conscious as PA fans (I know I've studied this.) It's all down to the creation of scarcity in capitalism. Fewer people with fewer jobs getting paid less wages against a slowly spiraling inflation means the usual "pirate" young, male, wanting the usual weekly priorities (Music, petrol, means of getting high and laid, looking the part ,all cost$. Saving on something means cash freed up for something else. Nothing new there.

(Piracy btw I refer to the illicit download of commercial official product, bootlegs are another matter).

It's females who do the best buying. In my city's retail music shop I once over heard a couple of Justin Bieber fans (c. 12 - 13 years vintage) breathlessly relating how they bought everything issued. Sort of trainee music consumers perhaps. But that was quite positive really.

Gigging is not an option for so many (what if an artist is disabled?). Not everyone can or wants to hop in cars and vans and hit the road hoping to sell a few CDs and t shirts. Very dodgy, very unreliable and so many comfortably assume this will work. Go there, Try it. It might. But so much can go wrong so easily at any time. Artists toured with support, in support. Now it's almost cold hard charity.

The problem for income generation are the streaming sites. I've seen the fabulous .007th of a cent plays on what I laughably call a statement. Perfomance rights organisations (mine's APRA) don't push for rates so long as something gets paid - it's streaming it's not like radio and money filters back to record companies whether major old or new like CD Baby. It's not going to work for too long. But it will dawn on people in 10 - 20 years that the music of the 20th century was culturally significant because there was financial support. Remove that support and it collapses into a cloud of dust.

Other things like on line gaming are more popular than music because gamers are doing something rather than being passive listeners.

So there are many hurdles to over come, the psychological barriers in the individual and collective consciousness to buy or not to buy, the cost / price ratio of product, the perceived quality of audio versus convenience.

Well a record company has released a CD of mine (wow!) in the US only yesterday. Apparently I'll find out how well that goes in a week.

The only real consistency in this thread is the perception of the Cloud. Don't think so. I'll keep confidential documents on inaccessible external hard drives. Too many viruses, too much hacking and the possibility therof to make anything other than non-line storage the only way to keep digital matter.

Oh, by the way, I may have mentioned this before but... again. On the doco of the 1970 Isle Of Wight fest the very same subject (free music) reared it's head. "Music should be free" claimed concert goers unable to find the necessary pound to get in the field. (Tix weren't that cheap, one has to balance the cost of these against the miniscule wages doled out by the mighty).

"The artist survives, how?" Asked the interviewer.
"Record sales" was the response. I'm sure Fripp liner note readers know how reliable that is. Plus ca change, n'est pas? as Geddy and his French friends might have said in the Trees.

We have an abundance of music, varying quality and perceptions of the audio, most people who use it as background (not PA subscribers obviously), scarcity of cash, an abundance of producers. Even the concert players have to compete for the ticket prices and merchandising dollar  / pound  / euro /  groat.

Couple of solutions. Streaming services to pay good rates, both company and artist and listener still benefit. Obviously the performing rights organizations will need to be more active in ensuring a minimum wage here, business has little or no ethics and they need  policing. Major music companies to issue good product not dump over licensed compilations and dilute their own profit.

I would like to see more 24 bit audio out there to demonstrate the value of quality sound - it works for the Beethoven Piano Concerto (3) just finished here and can work for rock and pop as well.

It may be that the central factor in all this - bandwidth may see ISPs paying rates to video / audio publishers as their consumers "probably" pirate. Costs passed on to you know who.

Cheers.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 05:25
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

(...)

On the doco of the 1970 Isle Of Wight fest the very same subject (free music) reared it's head. "Music should be free" claimed concert goers unable to find the necessary pound to get inthe field. (Tix weren't that cheap, one has to balance the cost of these against the miniscule wages doled out by the mighty). "The artist survives, how?" Asked the interviewer."Record sales" was the response. I'm sure Fripp liner note readers know how reliable that is. Plus ca change, n'est pas? as Geddy and his French friends might have said in the Trees.

(...)

A weekend ticket on the IOW 1970 was cost £ 3; so the cost of a Levi's 501 pants at that time.
Was it expensive for the three-day festival with the bands and the artists such as Moody Blues, The Doors, Chicago, Family, Jimi Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Who and so on? I do not think so.

Edited by Svetonio - September 24 2014 at 06:15
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 05:43
55 bands played Isle of Wight in 1970, 500,000 attended - ticket sales = £1.5 million (equivalent to £22 million today)

over 100 bands played 2014, 58,000 attended - ticket sales = £11 million (equivalent to £750K in 1970)

...that's twice the bands for half the money.

No matter how you divide it, bands earnt less for playing in 2014 than they did in 1970.
What?
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 05:45
Don't forget as well that if musicians don't make any money from music, they sure as eggs is eggs will get it back from you with ludicrous ticket prices. ;-)

Or rather, the promoters will.

End of the story is that it's a pretty poor outcome for the future if artists get $0 for their music. A lady in the office makes cakes. She gets more money, per cake, than I do, per album. One day, I'll just give up or churn out crap. I'd rather not do that. But I can see it happening where I just say to hell with it and play for my own amusement. 

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 05:59
Well, it would seem the kids are no longer alright...

Edited by uduwudu - September 24 2014 at 06:00
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 06:36
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Don't forget as well that if musicians don't make any money from music, they sure as eggs is eggs will get it back from you with ludicrous ticket prices. ;-)

Or rather, the promoters will.

End of the story is that it's a pretty poor outcome for the future if artists get $0 for their music. A lady in the office makes cakes. She gets more money, per cake, than I do, per album. One day, I'll just give up or churn out crap. I'd rather not do that. But I can see it happening where I just say to hell with it and play for my own amusement. 

I managed a band for five years, due to the difficulties in getting regular gigs for the band I also became a reluctant promoter, so I have seen this business we call show from both sides. 

I did this for free, never took expenses and after paying for the hire of the venue and the sound engineer I paid out every penny taken at the door to all the bands that played. I made it a personal policy that every band got paid and every band got paid equally, whether they headlined or not. If the band's wanted to sell merchandise I would give them space to do that, and even sell it for them while they played, unlike some promoters I also did this for free. When you are promoting a gig of several unknown bands there is a limit to how much you can charge on the door, too much and people won't come, too little and you can't pay the venue or the sound man. No matter what you charge, there will always be someone who thinks it is too much, and there are those who expect to be on "the guest list" (my answer was always the same: "sorry but unless you're in the band there is no guest list, it's £3 to get in or you can listen from the car-park - your choice").

Fortunately I never had a band say I'd paid them too little, most were surprised I'd paid them at all.... and that is a sad reflection of what other promoters are like - we had played too many sell-out gigs and not been paid for me to behave like other promoters. Happily not all promoters are like that, I met several who, like me, did it for the love of it.

When the band played a big venue (pay to play) sure they sold a lot of CDs, badges and T-Shirts, but if you factor in van-hire and other transport cost, accommodation and food expenses for the five members of the band it was still a net loss.

What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 09:19
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

What about: The internet SAVED progressive rock. Sharing music that was forgotten about has greatly improved interest in the genre.
I understand your point as I know many younger people that got into older prog through the Internet but the ends do not justfy the means.

If the few people that actually listen to prog purchase their favorite artists material, like CDs, that can be a help. Most artist's work are now licensed to record companies/distributors, so they get a bigger share of the profits then in days of old. It will not make the artist rich, but again, it does help.

Edited by SteveG - September 24 2014 at 15:21
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 09:37
Interesting debate. Technology is a double edged sword. Yes, some people will download music for free since it's so easy to do so, but some of those people will go on to purchase the better quality physical item if they fall for the music. On the other hand the internet which allows access to the possibilities of free music also gives unprecedented exposure for any given artist. I can honestly say i have never downloaded any free music that is available as a physical piece of art. I have downloaded music that is only available is free but being a music addict means i need the artwork, the liner notes and more often than not the remastered version if it exists. As it stands i spend a good $200 a week on music lately. I look at free downloads as a form of advertisement just like radio exposure used to be. Artists have to guilt trip the public into coughing up the dough these days :)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 10:32
Does anybody remember the ad inside some old vinyls:

Home taping is killing music

It looks like it didn't happen. 

The world changes and every market has to adapt if it wants to survive. It's Darwin...
Actually the majors were very stupid. When CDs appeared their price was double the vinyl even though the support was cheaper. With digital supports they self-destroyed their market. Tapes were not the same of discs, CDs were possibly identical to the original. 

Personally, I listen to mp3s because I can bring with me gigabytes of music within a microSD card, but I will buy the new Pink Floyd in double LP format because I'm a collector and I regret the fact that Division Bell was originally issued on CD only.

In a multmedia world, the trick may consist in offering a bit more than "just music". Multimedia packages including booklets, photos, anything possibly of interest which a download can't reproduce.As Silly Puppy says, downloads are becoming just like the radio.Owning a proper album in whatever format is another thing. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 11:25
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Does anybody remember the ad inside some old vinyls:

Home taping is killing music

It looks like it didn't happen. 

Ermm a couple of minor points.

The campaign was from the early 80s and was a reaction to improvements in technology that were occurring at that time, the first being the significant improvement that Chrome, SuperAvylin and Metal cassette tape was over the Ferric Oxide tape that pre-recorded cassettes were made from and the second was the emergent CD technology that offered superior quality source to anyone pirating an album, the third was the invention of the Walkman that gave the cassette a boost in popularity in the 1980s [cassettes were an old technology that had failed to compete with vinyl since their introduction by Philips in the mid-60s], a usable car cassette player was also a contributing factor. Vinyl was never under threat from home taping and it was already in decline, remember that in 1980 pre-recorded cassettes were out-selling vinyls. Now the home-taper could produce a cassette that was superior than what the record companies were producing themselves, home taping threatened the sales of pre-recorded cassette and CD, not vinyl. As a result of this levies were imposed on the sales price of blank tape - it would be another ten years before CD outsold pre-recorded tape, and by then sales of vinyl had dropped to four-fifths of sod all.

You are assuming that the campaign failed and music still didn't die, but how can you tell? If the music industry didn't die (and we know it didn't) then surely the campaign can be seen as a success. We all assume that the record industry was crying wolf, but what if it wasn't, how can you tell?
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 12:57
What seems clear is that we will not see again Pog bands touring in a dedicated jet plane Wink

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 13:22
^If that's not the sign of a crumbling civilization, I don't know what is!
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 13:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Why should Ms Minogue snr. be immune?

Fantastic point.  I think niche genres actually fare better, because fans of genres like prog/psych, metal, punk, indie rock, etc actually care about the music they listen to and actually like to give back to the community and the artists.  With vinyl being a hot commodity again, people actually buy LP's.  If they don't buy hard copies of music anymore, they buy t-shirts and other such merchandise.

People who only follow current generation popular music don't give a crap about supporting the music they enjoy, they simply want to jump on the newest hit singles and club tracks, consume, and move on.

Besides, hasn't Kylie Minogue been making music since the late 80's?  She's not exactly new.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 13:35
^It is a great point but unfortunately times have changed and "there ain't no goin' back", brother.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 17:12
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

(...)

On the doco of the 1970 Isle Of Wight fest the very same subject (free music) reared it's head. "Music should be free" claimed concert goers unable to find the necessary pound to get inthe field. (Tix weren't that cheap, one has to balance the cost of these against the miniscule wages doled out by the mighty). "The artist survives, how?" Asked the interviewer."Record sales" was the response. I'm sure Fripp liner note readers know how reliable that is. Plus ca change, n'est pas? as Geddy and his French friends might have said in the Trees.

(...)

A weekend ticket on the IOW 1970 was cost £ 3; so the cost of a Levi's 501 pants at that time.
Was it expensive for the three-day festival with the bands and the artists such as Moody Blues, The Doors, Chicago, Family, Jimi Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Who and so on? I do not think so.

Some thought so. Some people decide if someone's going to get paid, how much and by whom. Apparently 3 quid was roughly 10% of the average wage. I assume pre tax. (IMHo for a festival this was quite a good price but the constraints on people are perennial. May be they wanted a physical product....

Anyway if taking without paying is now a legitimate? business model, where does it end? It's cutural, the pirate bay get away with facilitating file exchanging - really just letting people home tape globally.

The point is that someone says "you don't get paid. I want to enjoy your thing but have no wish to fork out." Someone (else) might do that's the extent to which I am going to concern myself. Responsibility for you getting paid is not my concern. Play the music. it should be free. The people have spoken.

A lot gets stolen, more than many understand. It's not just the money, but the simple enjoyment and fun of it all.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 01:10

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

(...) 

(...) 

Some thought so. Some people decide if someone's going to get paid, how much and by whom. Apparently 3 quid was roughly 10% of the average wage. I assume pre tax. (IMHo for a festival this was quite a good price but the constraints on people are perennial. May be they wanted a physical product....

Anyway if taking without paying is now a legitimate? business model, where does it end? It's cutural, the pirate bay get away with facilitating file exchanging - really just letting people home tape globally.

The point is that someone says "you don't get paid. I want to enjoy your thing but have no wish to fork out." Someone (else) might do that's the extent to which I am going to concern myself. Responsibility for you getting paid is not my concern. Play the music. it should be free. The people have spoken. 

A lot gets stolen, more than many understand. It's not just the money, but the simple enjoyment and fun of it all. 

I already said that I think that YouTube only contributed to the popularization of the progressive rock in the younger population. Are these current progressive rock bands lost something because the songs can be downloaded from YouTube? I think not, 'cause If a band does not have vids at YouTube, it's almost as if that band does not exist - It's like in ancient times that a band has not been played on the radio at all; in ancient times, you was listening to a certain fm radio programme who played, among the others, the progressive rock songs; if you like it, you will burn it to a cassette; if you do much like it, you'll buy a single or LP. Of course, it wasn't the only way to hear the progressive rock back then, but it was the most common way; this is similar to "piracy" from YouTube, with the difference that YouTube is an interactive media as a part of Internet as well. 

Anyone of that prog audience who wants the quality of sound, beautiful album jacket with a nice artwork, liner notes,etcwill buy CDs and LPs or, at least, will pay for legal downloads. Those who don't worry about these things, they will listen to inferior sound of an illegal download, similar to those on the Isle of Wight Festival who were pitch their tents outside the field rather than to pay £3 for a weekend ticket and to become a part of the historyOf course, with the exception of that guy who was interviewed by accident, lol. So, how to sell to that kind of guys something that they do not need, a progressive rock album for exampleWell, that's an eternal question of all marketing magicians, isn't? In my humble opinion, only way is that some band(s) to record an album what would be like a "new DSotM" or a "new Tubular Bells" and, also, that the music industry have to be able to recognize (new) prog as an upward trend in sales and a profit made of white middle class and, consenquently, to invest a serious money in advertising new progressive rock bands, i.e. to pay a campaign created by the guys who know how to sell the things to the people who actually don't need it.

Edited by Svetonio - September 25 2014 at 19:39
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 08:26
Nothing is killing off prog. Our music stores in these parts are thriving and there are more and more prog selections every time i visit. If anything piracy has allowed prog to reach every household
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 08:42
A relevant note from Bob Ezrin -

http://fyimusicnews.ca/post/98271408357/the-day-the-music-died
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 08:45
BTW a question: I do not use "the Cloud", I'm getting old and I'm rather behind in everything concerning all this modern stuff, I just got my first smartphone a few weeks ago and so far I only use it for calling and messaging and at most emailing (which in any case I prefer doing from my computer).

Can the Cloud be used as a new file exchange platform in the way traditional file downloading sites have been until now?
I mean, if anyone uploads files to the Cloud and then just releases access links to other people, would that work? Would that be considered piracy?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>