Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush: Heavy Prog or Prog Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 21:33
It really boils down to personal opinion of what is metal and what is progressive rock. Do these two interplay and can they be mixed...? I think we all would agree they can.
Last night I saw the segment of Sam Dunn's Metal Evolution-Progressive Metal. As we know, he is looking for the evolution of metal, where did it come from.

This segment started with Rush and ended with Rush, much of it features Rush and even interviews of all three. Geddy kinda summed it up, they liked playing the long, structural, involved pcs..the prog epics, the Genesis, Yes stuff...but he said they also like to rock.

I still say that in 1974, not today, in 1974 that Working Man was a hard heavy song that had a lot of metal flavor. In 1974 people considered Led Zeppelin metal and Rush had that sound initially. Alex was consumed by how Jimmy Page just let it flow and how hard and distorted the sound was...Remember, you are talking about Rush just starting out and trying to emulate their influences of LZ, The Who, Cream..early on.
Once Neil came on board they began to explore the psychedelic/prog/art side of Yes, Genesis, PF. It was not till 2112 where that hard heavy rock came in with a strong progressive flavor. Heavy prog and also prog metal has been tagged to that album...I think Sam Dunn would agree.

Rush are/were part of the Metal Evolution.....Are they 100% metal like Judas Priest, of course not.

We have this vision of what Prog Metal is, but that vision was different in 1974-76. Again, there were some people that called Schizoid Man metal, in 1970ish sure why not...Today never!

Today Rush is not prog metal, it was in some of their albums...but in general overall to me they are a progressive rock band, because of how their songs progressed into mini epics versus long 20 min epics. Alex said it, they cannot get much shorter than 5-6 min long. The songs still have the elements of prog played hard and heavy, with some metal tones.

Heavy Prog works to answer this thread. But to me they are a progressive rock band.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 21:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Bull.   Rush has never even flirted with heavy metal.   Judas Priest, Sabbath, Scorpions...  Rush ?  
No I don't at all think so.
When Working Man was first played on
a small mid western radio station, listeners called to request that the
station replay the "new Zeppelin song". And that's no bull. Just
because Zep knocked the metal label and were more blues based, that
doesn't mean that they didn't play any.
Of course, because the Rush debut is unmistakably Zep-influenced, but
Rush's attempts at emulating the heavy rock sound was half-assed at
best.   And they never played metal at all (or even 'Good Times Bad
Times' -styled heavy rock).   'Working Man' is about as far from heavy
metal as 'Taxman' is.   It wasn't until they began to foster their own
sound that they became a real band.
I don't like posting from I Phones, hard enough for me with a PC, but I will.

Metal is also characterized, aside from the obvious power chords, riffs and riffing, by it's songs emphatic rhythms and deliberate stresses. Also prominent is the interplay between bass and guitar (and who does this better than Rush?)with Geddy's bass lines holding down the critical pedal point. I think Peart's drumming speaks for itself, but his obvious use of cymble checking is also a clue.

To, me 2112 is not a progressive metal album because it's metal music played with keyboards and a concept thrown in. It's Progressive metal because it's metal music played progressively.

If you don't see my points at this stage, it's probably a good time to agree to disagree.

I see your points, they just seem to be from a sort of theoretical perspective; e.g. 'this plus that plus the other equals progressive heavy metal'.   But I don't see things that way.   As a musician since I was fifteen, it's not the individual elements that make a style or sound, it is something else, something elusive and shared between the players in a band.   You can have a band with a distorted guitar, small drum kit, loud singer and heavy-bottom bass and not be metal at all.   2112 is not metal music played progressively.   Not sure what it is, maybe a space-themed hard art-rock album.   But it ain't metal.  

Something related to this which may engender some debate is whether Progmetal is more related to prog or to metal.   Or if that even matters.   From my point of view ~ which is that of someone who grew up road-crewing for the Bay Area metal scene in the '80s ~ progmetal is metal music played progressively.   It is not and never really was a part of the Prog movement even though it took inspiration from Tull and Genesis and others.   Sabbath; Maiden; Ozzy; Uli Roth; Metallica; Yngwie; and so on.   These were the early purveyors of progressive metal before guys like Voivod made it a real subgenre, not the sophisticated proggers.

Edited by Atavachron - September 28 2014 at 00:52
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 02:21
To be honest, I was kind of surprised to see people consider Rush as proper progressive metal ather than just influential to the genre until I saw that the Metal-Archives have included them... and that site is notoriously exclusive towards bands in ambiguous genres. (Led Zeppelin and Uriah Heep aren't included, for case of comparison)

As far as I can gather, what differentiates heavy metal from "normal" hard rock is the riffs being based overwhelmingly or exclusively on power chords. I guess that is what differentiates Budgie, Deep Purple and Rush from LZ, UH etc. I also think there's something of a cultural difference between the two, though, in the underlying ethos behind the aesthetic choices and that's where I think Rush are closer to the prog-rock side of the spectrum. It's a distinction of guitar-dominated songwriting vs. more dynamic group-oriented instrumental interplay, deliberate moral ambiguity in the lyrics vs. systematized ideological worldviews expressed in the band concept, maybe also a sociological differentiation of artschool/conservatory/university students vs. more self-taught street jammers etc.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It really boils down to personal opinion of what is metal and what is progressive rock. Do these two interplay and can they be mixed...? I think we all would agree they can.
Last night I saw the segment of Sam Dunn's Metal Evolution-Progressive Metal. As we know, he is looking for the evolution of metal, where did it come from.

This segment started with Rush and ended with Rush, much of it features Rush and even interviews of all three. Geddy kinda summed it up, they liked playing the long, structural, involved pcs..the prog epics, the Genesis, Yes stuff...but he said they also like to rock.

I still say that in 1974, not today, in 1974 that Working Man was a hard heavy song that had a lot of metal flavor. In 1974 people considered Led Zeppelin metal and Rush had that sound initially. Alex was consumed by how Jimmy Page just let it flow and how hard and distorted the sound was...Remember, you are talking about Rush just starting out and trying to emulate their influences of LZ, The Who, Cream..early on.
Once Neil came on board they began to explore the psychedelic/prog/art side of Yes, Genesis, PF. It was not till 2112 where that hard heavy rock came in with a strong progressive flavor. Heavy prog and also prog metal has been tagged to that album...I think Sam Dunn would agree.

Rush are/were part of the Metal Evolution.....Are they 100% metal like Judas Priest, of course not.

We have this vision of what Prog Metal is, but that vision was different in 1974-76. Again, there were some people that called Schizoid Man metal, in 1970ish sure why not...Today never!

Today Rush is not prog metal, it was in some of their albums...but in general overall to me they are a progressive rock band, because of how their songs progressed into mini epics versus long 20 min epics. Alex said it, they cannot get much shorter than 5-6 min long. The songs still have the elements of prog played hard and heavy, with some metal tones.

Heavy Prog works to answer this thread. But to me they are a progressive rock band.
    Geat summary. Catch.  As much as I've been drawing focus to 2112, that's a step that Rush didn't hang around for too long. Followed by two epic prog albums in the late seventies before going full prog in the eighties and beyond. Heavy Prog for me is a suitable tag. Good God, these guys even toured with a string section. If that's not Heavy Prog, what is? LOL

Edited by SteveG - September 28 2014 at 12:17
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 12:09

Indeed. Songs like "Vital Signs" and "The Weapon" are as "prog" as anything on Drama.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 19:07
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Indeed. Songs like "Vital Signs" and "The Weapon" are as "prog" as anything on Drama.

Yea and The Weapon being part of the Trilogy of Fear, make it part of a mini-ongoing concept (strong prog element)...Freeze being Part IV and maybe there will be more, who knows.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 19:24
"Freeze" kicked my arse when I first got VT. Hell, even the short preview MP3 the band released damaged me. It became my favorite 'Fear' chapter after "The Enemy Within."
Donny Doom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 06:44
Heavy Prog!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 07:28
Heavy Prog
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 03:54
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Heavy Prog

Atomic has the final word, Amen!
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:43
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Heavy Prog

Atomic has the final word, Amen!

He is my hero!
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 02:59
Rush is all of the above. They are Prog Rock, Prog Metal, Heavy Prog(or whatever the hell you want to call it). Plus much more. Cool

I've noticed they never went as lovey-dovey or cheesy as Yes, Genesis or King Crimson LOL

“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:11
^ When did Crimson went lovey dovey?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:13
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I said cheesy or lovey dovey 

I need to feel your heart beat, heart beat LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:21
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Ok the lyrics on that one yes, but the music is miles away from being cheesy or commercial like Yes, Genesis or even Rush.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:26

Ok the lyrics on that one yes, but the music is miles away from being cheesy or commercial like Yes, Genesis or even Rush.

Say what you want Sagi and it's perfectly fine that you voice your opinions even though I might disagree with you Tongue

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - October 06 2014 at 03:30
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:47

Say what you want Sagi and it's perfectly fine that you voice your opinions even though I might disagree with you Tongue
No, you must agree with me! LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 16:07
^Two classy Gents! Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 10:17
I believe that the so called metal side to Rush...and or the speculated and curious theory is often mistaken by people for the 60's heavy type sound the band was influenced by. The sound began with Blue Cheer and a few others attempting to add a frightening or scary "dark" sound in Psychedelic music. Upon first hearing it, I got the impression that something was deadly wrong. Not many people were ready for this sound. Rush were influenced by this sound, but they created something more modern which sometimes surrounded oddball time signatures and quick stops/breaks within the pieces. The original attempt in the mid to late 60's based on applying more distortion to guitar, influenced Rush and keep in mind that styles were developing when the members of Rush were kids in school, rehearsing, and performing at a dancehall. The term "Heavy Metal" did not exist in reference to a style of music during that time. The first Black Sabbath album 1970, was innovative to Metal music, however..the style of playing is still along the lines of 60's distorted guitar of the heavies. If anything , it contributed to the act of bands becoming even more heavier than that. When Metal, or what most of us define in sound stylistically to be Metal, ..was born, it took on a new role for the guitarist. It was important to master the notes in a Paganini piece..for example..the 24 caprices..because it meant the writing was based off the piece to a great degree. Many Metal guitar harmonies played by 2 guitarists on stage were emulating the music of an 18th century composer and fusing it with the most hard and even offensive volumes. Rush didn't seem likely to follow this path. 

Edited by TODDLER - October 07 2014 at 10:26
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 16:24
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I am not a great fan of Rush to be honest, 
Then you're dead to me.
me too! LOL

Rushfan4, this is for you