Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite non Gabriel Genesis songs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite non Gabriel Genesis songs.
    Posted: September 01 2023 at 16:12
A Trick of the Tail is great, and the next two have their moments. So, I'd probably say:

Dance on a Volcano
Entangled
Ripples
It's Yourself (Trick outtake, which should have gone before Los Endos)

Eleventh Earl of Mar
Blood on the Rooftops

Down and Out
The Lady Lies
The Day the Light Went Out (another outtake, but great song!)

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2023 at 19:27
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Why is it when the OP asks for a favorite, PA folks reply with a lengthy list??

Oh, my dear Charles, it's prog. The lists have to be unendingly long, and you have to read them in 7/8 time.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2023 at 19:09
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Don't you just LOVE how these ancient threads keep resurrecting?
    Even more interesting is that the OP hasn't posted in over seven years. And... no one reads the OP that asks for only one song and the following albums - Trick and Wind are excluded.

My choice is Home By The Sea.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2023 at 17:31
^ Sorry that came across as very obnoxious of me. Anyway, I would have loved to see that tour. Deep in the Motherlode was an early fave of mine from when I started to really get into exploring Genesis just a few years before I joined this site. I kind of owe my Prog journey to trying to find the band and album for the track Hairless Heart which I heard at a bar and was smitten with.

Edited by Logan - August 31 2023 at 17:32
Just a fanboy passin' through.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2023 at 17:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

There were plenty of damn good post-Gabriel Genesis songs, I'll go with "Dance on a Volcano." 

The title is "Your favorite non Gabriel Genesis songs.", plural, so I would think that listing more than one is well and good. If you mean many, yeah, people can go overboard.

Here is the original post (did you read it?):

Originally posted by Greg W Greg W wrote:

I admit, that this is just a thread to find out songs from the post Gabriel era Genesis that are actually good. I have the 1st two lps after Gabriel left and I like Trick of a Tail very much while Wind and Wuthering has its moments, but is considerably weaker IMO. I guess I want to know what songs outside of these two lps are good.

Considering that the OP was specifically wondering about ones other than Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering, your post does not look like you really considered the OP's wishes since you specifically mention one on Trick of the Tail.. That said, this topic is so old that it does not matter.

Anyway, outside of Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering, my favourite post Gabriel studio album is ...And Then There Were Three... Of that I suppose that Deep in the Motherlode is my favourite, followed by Burning Rope and Undertow as I recall (been quite a few years since I last played it).

OK, I stand chastised!!  Thanks!!  

Bands and musicians change and evolve over time, as we know.  What speaks to us in our youth doesn't always resonate as we age.  As long as musicians keep trying to make an honest effort, I'll give it a listen.  

I saw the "And Then There Were Three" tour, it remains one of my favorite post-Gabriel efforts.  I agree, "Deep in the Motherlode" is outstanding, they opened the show with that song.  Daryl played bass guitar and Rutherford played guitar.  Impressive!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2023 at 13:57

There were plenty of damn good post-Gabriel Genesis songs, I'll go with "Dance on a Volcano." 

The title is "Your favorite non Gabriel Genesis songs.", plural, so I would think that listing more than one is well and good. If you mean many, yeah, people can go overboard.

Here is the original post (did you read it?):

Originally posted by Greg W Greg W wrote:

I admit, that this is just a thread to find out songs from the post Gabriel era Genesis that are actually good. I have the 1st two lps after Gabriel left and I like Trick of a Tail very much while Wind and Wuthering has its moments, but is considerably weaker IMO. I guess I want to know what songs outside of these two lps are good.

Considering that the OP was specifically wondering about ones other than Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering, your post does not look like you really considered the OP's wishes since you specifically mention one on Trick of the Tail.. That said, this topic is so old that it does not matter.

Anyway, outside of Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering, my favourite post Gabriel studio album is ...And Then There Were Three... Of that I suppose that Deep in the Motherlode is my favourite, followed by Burning Rope and Undertow as I recall (been quite a few years since I last played it).

Edited by Logan - August 31 2023 at 14:09
Just a fanboy passin' through.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2023 at 13:51

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2023 at 10:00
Don't you just LOVE how these ancient threads keep resurrecting?

1. Dodo/Lurker
2. Me and Sarah Jane
3. Duke's Travels/Duke's End
4. Mad Man Moon
5. Duchess
6. Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...in that Quiet Earth
7. Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea
8. Squonk
9. Ballad of Big
10. Keep it Dark
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2023 at 10:43
1. Dance On The Volcano
2. Robbery Assault And Battery
3. Please Don't Ask
4. The Lady Lies
5. Home By The Sea / Second Home By The Sea
6. Invisible Touch
7. Domino
8. Afterglow
9. I Can't Dance
10. Squonk

Collins era Genesis is really good, even the pop stuff can be really excellent!
D~B
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2023 at 00:52
Here are my top ten favorite post-Gabriel Genesis songs:

1. Ripples...
2. Blood On the Rooftops
3. Entangled
4. Afterglow
5. One for the Vine
6. Mama
7. Fading Lights
8. Mad Man Moon
9. Eleventh Earl of Mar
10. Duchess
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 06:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

all of them on the Trick album, most on the Wind album (except the awful turd YOSW),

to a lesser extent, all of And Then, except FYFM, and most of Duke (except Misunderstanding and Turn it Off Again), than after that, only That's All.

BTW, I don't think much of the Pigeon EP.
......only the 2nd half out Inside and Out !!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 01:52
all of them on the Trick album, most on the Wind album (except the awful turd YOSW),

to a lesser extent, all of And Then, except FYFM, and most of Duke (except Misunderstanding and Turn it Off Again), than after that, only That's All.

BTW, I don't think much of the Pigeon EP.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 17:35
Turn it on Again
Home by The Sea Pt1/Pt2
Land of Confusion
The Lady Lies
One for The Vine
Dance on a Volcano
Squonk

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 10:59
^I'm sure Hackett appreciated Collins' musicianship enough to not want to leave the band, but it's been chronicled that when he brought Please Don't Touch to the band for a possible group effort, Collins said something along the lines of "Can't get behind it." (sorry for not getting the exact quote). Also, in Collins' autobiography, he wrote that the quality of the songs Hackett was bringing to the table at the time of 'Wuthering wasn't particularly good.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 00:25
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Please Don't Touch (should have been on the W&W track listing)

Should of, could of, would of, with no thanks to Collins.

Collins? What did he do? 
Steve said many times in interviews that Phil was the only one who could make him stay longer in Genesis. Actually Phil was not there when Steve told the others he was leaving. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 20:33
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Should of, could of, would of, with no thanks to Collins.

Edited by Rednight - July 03 2018 at 20:34
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 00:16
Most of A Trick of the Tail, some of Wind, some of ATTWT, and Duke’s Travels. Then the Home By The Sea extravaganza, and stretching it a bit - Domino and Fading Lights.......or are those last 2 just extended Pop tunes ??
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 22:32
Blood on the Rooftops
In that Quiet Earth
Entangled
One For the Vine
Los Endos (but not long enough)
Mad Man Moon
Ripples
Trick of the Tail
Your Own Special Way (but too long)

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 16:31
Dance on a Volcano 
Entangled
Eleventh Earl of Mar
Blood on the Rooftops
Burning Rope
The Day the Light Went Out (rare)
The Brazilian
...to name a few

Edited by Boojieboy - June 27 2018 at 16:32
RM_Lidster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM_Lidster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 07:59
Entangled
Robbery, Assault and Battery
Eleventh Earl of Mar
One for the Vine
Ballad of Big
Scenes From a Nights Dream
Many Too Many
Turn it on Again
No Reply At All
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>