Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite non Gabriel Genesis songs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 20:20
There are many songs I like after Gabriel (and many other I don't, too). However, the ones I find most enjoyable would have to be "One for the Vine", "Mama", and the "Home bythe Sea, second home by the sea" combo. I guess I would have to add the "Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers in that Quiet Earth" combo, "Afterglow", and "The Brazilian" too (and perhaps even "Land of Confusion").
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 00:50
Never liked Mama. That weird thing that Collins does is just a complete turn off for me.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 07:19
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Never liked Mama. That weird thing that Collins does is just a complete turn off for me.
You mean the "evil" laugh? I can't take it seriously since I found out he stole it from Grandmaster Flash in the recent Genesis documentary.

Not much love for "Driving the Last Spike"? One of the best post-Gabriel tracks imo.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 08:21
All of ATotT, W&W & Spot The Pigeon EP, and also Burning Rope, The Lady Lies, Scenes From A Night's Dream, Cul-de-sac and Me And Sarah Jane.

Edited by Svetonio - October 14 2014 at 11:39
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 14:55
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You mean the "evil" laugh? I can't take it seriously since I found out he stole it from Grandmaster Flash in the recent Genesis documentary.

Not much love for "Driving the Last Spike"? One of the best post-Gabriel tracks imo.

I hated it before the documentary although I respect Collins honesty. 

Driving The Last Spike is ok . Tells a story nicely but I would have liked a bit more 'oomph'' personally.

Edited by richardh - October 14 2014 at 14:55
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 16:43
Burning Rope and many more. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 16:55
Still thinking about it......Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 19:29
^This.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 07:18
All of it....up to Touch, and even touch has Domino and Tonight, which are remarkable when you consider the market.  I mean, what other #1 album at the time (or any time) contained two eight minute prog-pop tracks?
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Vic333 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 11:29
Trick:
Squonk
Trick

Wind:
Eleventh Earl of Mar
One For The Vine

Three:
Down and Out

Duke:
Behind the Lines
Duchess
Cul de Sac
Duke's Travels

Abacab:
Abacab
Me and Sarah Jane
Keep it Dark
Dodo/Lurker

Genesis:
Mama
Homes by the Sea
Silver Rainbow
It's Gonna Get Better

Invisible Touch:
Tonightx3

We Can't Dance:
No Son of Mine 

Calling All Stations:
never heard it

Others:
Paperlate
Pigeons
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 14:07
I also love this track unreservedly

The Day The Light Went Out
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 14:41
The one I thought was fantastic for its particular position in the band's evolution is Heathaze. Then there's Dance On a Volcano, One For the Vine, Mad Man Moon, Entangled, Squonk, Blood On the Rooftops, Eleventh Earl of Mar, Me and Sarah Jane, the Home By the Sea saga, and most of Domino before it goes into its finale.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 15:47
Deep in the Motherload Great song with subtle use of varispeed tape tricks and almost every kind of keyboard is used by Banks, some extremely subtle, if you listen closely enough.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 18:43
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Deep in the Motherload Great song with subtle use of varispeed tape tricks and almost every kind of keyboard is used by Banks, some extremely subtle, if you listen closely enough.

ClapClap So right about this incredible song...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 01:28
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

yep I agreeClap

they opened their famous 1980 Lyceum gig with it. Oh for a time machine...
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 12:26

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

yep I agreeClap

they opened their famous 1980 Lyceum gig with it. Oh for a time machine...

Even with a time machine you would also need a bit of luck. I remember applying for tickets for the Lyceum (in the days you had to send off a cheque or maybe a postal order and then wait for months with your fingers crossed) only to be disappointed!  Had to wait for them to go back to big venues to see them again (ABACAB).

I really like Vancouver for some reason.
Help me I'm falling!
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 14:17

Trick is probably my favourite Genesis album and Duke has some very strong material. 

I'm guessing this thread will get moved to top ten lists so

1. Dance On A Volcano
2. Duke's Travels/End
3. Mad Man Moon
4. Deep In The Motherlode
5. One For The Vine
6. Dodo/Lurker
7. Domino
8. Home By The Sea
9. Fading Lights
10.The Lady Lies

Good list. I would add the Brazilian, Duchess, second home by the sea, Burning rope, Domino(one and two), driving the last spike, Congo, Man on the corner, unquiet slumbers for the sleepers, Afterglow, snowbound, silver rainbow and Entangled. Maybe a few more that I can't think of right now.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 17 2014 at 14:19
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 18:11
1) Deep in The Motherlode - my very favourite, I love this song and it's perfect for me, be it any live version or the studio one;

2) Los Endos - it has to be from the Seconds Out show, this version sounds perfect to me, especially the drums throughout the whole music - amazing! And it was wrongly included as a second part of Dance On A Volcano in that '77 album, go figure that;

3) Dance on A Volcano - I prefer the studio version of it, which still moves me a lot and deserves indeed honorable mention here;

4) Duke's Travels/End - yep, for me too and obviously well pointed out in this thread, really quite moving pieces that I like too;

5) ...In That Quiet Earth - this is for me a very interesting instrumental piece!

Edited by Rick Robson - October 18 2014 at 19:44

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 20:06
Does Genesis have any official live albums that include "deep in the motherlode?" There aren't any I know of but that would be cool.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 00:35
All on "Trick of the Tail" (although, admittedly Gabriel had some influence on some of those songs...)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>