FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFLACs from MelodiShop.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLACs from MelodiShop.com
    Posted: October 14 2014 at 15:47
They sell FLACs rather cheaply, ripped from CDs, so in their 16 bits/44.1kHz. Many iconic progressive albums are available. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 18:48
Looks dodgy.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 04:11
They'll give you first 10 tracks for free, so you can test them out. You can log in through G+/Twit-Face. I checked them tracks with the Audio Checker and they receive 100% CDDA probabilities. They're all 16 bit/44.1kHz, I didn't see any 24 bit tracks.
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 04:29
Looks like it's technically legal but the artists involved don't get any money from it

Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 09:33
Well if they are ripped from CD's to FLAC at redbook.....why not just buy the CDs, since there is no audio advantage, and the artist will get their due.

Its not like these are hi-rez files, so I see no benefit
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 15:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Looks like it's technically legal but the artists involved don't get any money from it
Their website claims they pay "full-scale author's royalties to owners of pieces of music, trademarks, names, slogans and other copyright objects used on the site"

If this is true then it probably reflects how much you could save on printing brochures, pressing CDs, packing them into jewel cases, advertising and posting them to customers
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 16:05
Dude, it's just another Russian rip site like AllOfMP3.

I won't use it, ever.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 16:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well if they are ripped from CD's to FLAC at redbook.....why not just buy the CDs, since there is no audio advantage, and the artist will get their due.

Well, pricewise apart, if you, for instance, plug your super fast FLAC USB into your blu ray player (yes, blu ray player, as only they can currently playback high fidelity pure audio titles) and send it over the optical/coaxial lead into your Marantz "dacamp", you might find yourself quite surprised how easy, convenient and beautiful in results experience it was in comparison to finding some decent, worthy CD player (which won't come cheap unfortunately) and using it/finding space for it. I think CD quality FLACs still make a lot of sense, but, most importantly, they are getting us ready for experiencing those magnificent 24 bit FLACs which, I hope, will get more popular over time
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 17:20
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Well, pricewise apart, if you, for instance, plug your super fast FLAC USB into your blu ray player (yes, blu ray player, as only they can currently playback high fidelity pure audio titles) and send it over the optical/coaxial lead into your Marantz "dacamp", you might find yourself quite surprised how easy, convenient and beautiful in results experience it was in comparison to finding some decent, worthy CD player (which won't come cheap unfortunately) and using it/finding space for it. I think CD quality FLACs still make a lot of sense, but, most importantly, they are getting us ready for experiencing those magnificent 24 bit FLACs which, I hope, will get more popular over time

Well I will not go deep into this but 16/44 is 16/44 is 16/44....The BRP will still only play it at 16/44 resolution. I don't know what "high fidelity pure audio titles" means or is. Unless you are talking about hi-rez files like 24/96 or 24/192 which yes if you have a DVD-A or SACD at that resolution a BRP can play them. If you run that BRP thru coax/optical to a stand alone DAC it needs to be able to process 24/96 or 24/192 because you are then by-passing the BRP DAC. If your Marantz dacamp is only 16/44 capable, then it will get truncated from 24/96 or 24/192 to redbook. DSD64 and DSD128 makes 24bit files a thing of the past almost....but you better have a serious budget to hear the true advantages of DSD and digital audio

Regardless of all this, downloading FLAC 16/44 seems meaningless...just buy the CDs or find the CDs used and get them cheaper...IMO
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:06

Their website claims they pay "full-scale author's royalties to owners of pieces of music, trademarks, names, slogans and other copyright objects used on the site"

That doesn't make it true. I'd be very surprised if this website paid royalties.

Edited by chopper - October 16 2014 at 10:29
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:25

That doesn't make it true. I'd be very surprised if a Ukranian website paid royalties.
That's racist/nationalist. Disapprove
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:28
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

That doesn't make it true. I'd be very surprised if a Ukranian website paid royalties.
That's racist/nationalist. Disapprove
It wasn't intended to be, it's just that a lot of illegal MP3 sites emanate from that part of the world. Apologies if I offended anyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply