Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime Machine Prog Concerts!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time Machine Prog Concerts!
    Posted: October 15 2014 at 10:16
There's quite a few newer prog fans on the site, or even older fans like myself that missed the first KC concerts. If you could go back in time, what artist or band's would you like to see in concert. This can include bands with a particular line up and album tour or even at a specific venue. Who do you regret not seeing live from the past?

Edited by SteveG - October 18 2014 at 10:29
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 13:06
Where to start...?
Even though I was around and old enough when  the classic prog bands were touring I usually was at college or in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I never saw Genesis with Gabriel, Zep in the early days, nor Floyd in the early days.
I would have liked to have seen KC in the Lake period or even the Wetton era  but again was always in the wrong place when they did tour. Did see them 3 times with Belew.

Edited by dr wu23 - October 15 2014 at 13:08
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 13:13
I would give my right arm to go back to Germany ca 1971 and catch Tangerine Dream, CAN, Amon Düül ll and Faust at the peak of their powers. Must've been intoxicating (in more than one sense).
What else? Floyd in 71 as well. Get to hear them play Embryo and Echoes...rrrrrrauw
SBB live in Sweden 75 would be fantastic too.

I can go on for a long time, so let's just leave it at that. Many more where they came from including some Japanese shows with The Taj Mahal Travellers and Far East Family Band - the latter preferably with Klaus Schulze joining in.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 16 2014 at 11:00
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 13:45
^ Can I tag along in your time machine? Wink
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 14:04
i feel like i saw something like this before..... i would like to just to go back to the 70's in general, even if i don't get to go to any concerts because of money.
Progrockdude
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 14:35
^This may in fact be an old post Mike, as PA has been around for ages but a lot of newer members have not.

Due to business time constrants, I missed Floyd doing The Wall in 1980. A goofy premise for a concert show, frankly, but one of those events where "you had to be there". Cry

Edited by SteveG - October 18 2014 at 10:30
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 14:40
I wish I could go back to 1974, and see Triumvirat open for Fleetwood Mac in America. Also would have loved to see Triumvirat in America in 1975 opening for Supertramp or ELO.  This was when the lineup was with Fritz, Koellen and Bathelt, the real thing!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 15:03
ELP on the 1974 world tour
Yes Relayer tour 1974
Tangerine Dream 1974/1975 ish
Rick Wakeman King Arthur 'On Ice' (1975?)
Pink Floyd Animals Tour 1977
Rush - Hemispheres Tour 1978
UK after Danger Money 1979
Mike Oldfield on the Platinum tour 1979
Genesis Lyceum 1980
Eloy after Planets 1982

ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 15:39
The Who - pre-Tommy
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 16:50
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I wish I could go back to 1974, and see Triumvirat open for Fleetwood Mac in America. Also would have loved to see Triumvirat in America in 1975 opening for Supertramp or ELO.  This was when the lineup was with Fritz, Koellen and Bathelt, the real thing!
I would like to add, also,

Colosseum in 1971
Libra in the fall of 1975 in America
Wallenstein in 1977 in Germany for the one gig with the lineup for the album No More Love (I think it was Hildesheim)
Dzyan in 1974 in Europe promoting Electric Silence
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 16:52
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Can I tag along in your time machine? Wink

Always. 
The flux capacitor is sadly out of whack thoughCry

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 18:07
^ Great Scott! LOL

Anyway, I don't know where to start on the list, I wouldn't mind seeing any concert of the bands that I like, since I will probably see none of them. Presently, I regret that I didn't see Camel earlier this year.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 18:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Where to start...?
Even though I was around and old enough when  the classic prog bands were touring I usually was at college or in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I never saw Genesis with Gabriel, Zep in the early days, nor Floyd in the early days.
I would have liked to have seen KC in the Lake period or even the Wetton era  but again was always in the wrong place when they did tour. Did see them 3 times with Belew.

Belew > Wetton > Lake

so lucky u
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 19:51
Harmonium and Maneige.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 20:15
Floyd, Hendrix & Soft Machine when they played together
Rock In Opposition first festival March 12th 78- Henry Cow, Univers Zero, Samla Mammas Manna, Stormy Six, Etron Frou
Hatfield & The North
Cardiacs
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (yeah I know I should have seen them)
Germany in the 70's for Amon Duul II & CAN, they must have been on the same bill once
Oldfield
King Crimson when they opened for The Stones at Hyde Park for ITCOTCK

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 21:29
First and most important of all, I would love to have seen Pink Floyd at the tour from the Animals album. Then, perhaps some pre Dark Side Pink Floyd too, and some from the PULSE tour. Then, other bands I'd love to have seen, Yes, on several of their presentations, like still with Bruford but already with Wakeman, then perhaps some tour from Tales, and from Relayer, and from Going for the One, and also from the Keys to Ascension and Yes Symphonic. Genesis, mainly on the Selling England tour (perhaps the Seconds Out one would be cool too). King Crimson, with the original line-up and with the Wetton line-up too (perhaps the double-trio one would have been great too). And well, so many other great bands I'd love to have seen, like Camel, Renaissance, Focus, Banco, etc.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:11
Hi,

None really.

There are many things that could/should/would have been seen more and by people that really needed to see them, but it didn't happen.

I keep telling my friends that some "artistic events" only come once in a lifetime, and you have to catch them. Perfect or not, you will always remember them, to your last living breath.

I did not, specifically, mark this as just a rock music event, because that is a harsh limitation that folks here on this board have, but there is just as much in the world of arts, in painting, music, literature, film, and specially theater, that is so grossly ignored here, and they all connect to the music in the most subtle way possible.

No one here, (almost!) can relate to Gryphon's music connected with a Shakespeare play ... and you failed to go see it.  And that is just one example, as there are many more, specially in film, that is not about "entertainment" or "kissing the social buttocks", as it is about bringing the work up to date with something else ... something different.

I said to many in the 70's ... you got to see Misha, before you can't. It's dance, who gives a sh*t!

I said to many in the 70's ... you got to go catch some of those jazz folks and the likes of McLaughlin. Their musicianship is insane.

And some of the film makers were the same thing. Everyone in California wanted to get stoned and get laid, and many of them never saw the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" live, and with a motorcycle going right through your table in the theater! Most folks here don't even KNOW, names of the folks involved in it there.

I was saying in the 70's that Pink Floyd in quadraphonic sound was a must see ... and later they went to see ELP instead on the big sound. This was way before DSOTM!

The movie list is endless, but everyone only remembers a top ten film like "Five Easy Pieces" that is memorable for one line, and the rest of the film is not even something that you think about.

For those less adventurous, or otherwise, however the case maybe, there was always the midnight movie at your college, and it was either "Performance", or "Deep Throat" and on occasion "Behind the Green Door", though too many folks objected to the psychedelic look towards the end of the film at a time, when Sunshine, Purple Haze and other names were around, and they were clean ... and really good, but not something that mindless paranoids would ever try ... lest it trigger your fear that you can not get an erection, which was not the case!

Do I want to see any other concerts?

Yeah ... I would like ProgArchives folks to sit through Andres Segovia break a string and continue like nothing happened on the guitar and finish the piece, and then politely ask, if it sounded alright, and he got a standing ovation right there.

It's the "magic" that makes your life ... not anything else, and most rock bands fail in this area.

I miss the trees on fire at the Greek Theater ... courtesy of Lazerium ... and what it did for Tangerine Dream, but on another day, it was also done for a stinkingly cheap pop band, because the effect was cool.

I think we lost it.

And the time machine thing, long gone ... forgotten ... not valuable to anyone except you or I, usually looked at as some kind of geriatric idiots and hippies ... but I remember my night at the Cinerama Dome and then at the Aquarius ... and know what it meant to my history and person!

We just have to make sure we catch the events of today ... because yesterday's are gone, and lost in time!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:10
Fillmore East 31.12.69
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:24
Of course the classics from the 70's

Pink Floyd-DSOtM/Animals
Genesis-SEBTP
Yes-Relayer
Zeppelin-IV
The Who-Quad
Scorpions-In Trance
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 10:47
Well, I have seen quite a few , so my list would be short. 
Tangerine Dream - FBF trio/era
Triumvirat- Spartacus tour 
Wishbone Ash- 1975
The Strawbs- 1975
Manfred Mann's Earth Band- Bombers tour  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>