Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat are you looking for in an album review?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 13:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Not another review of Fragile, DSOTM, Hero And Herione and other albums with 30+ reviews. Tell me something I don't know.

I think those can help establish a baseline for a reviewer. 
One can then establish how much his/her taste equals yours and put a proper weight to his/her opininions.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 14:13
The reviewer should convey clearly WHY does he absolutely love the album, or why does he find it very good, or quite alright, or weak, or completely forgettable. Comments like "this is sonic heaven, the best album I have heard in years" without any further explanation why, are meaningless.
Also, although each album is supposed to be unique in its own way, similarities or references to other better known bands or albums can be welcome in practice to give you a clearer orientation.
I have bought quite a few albums based on super-positive reviews which after listening to them for several tries did not impress me at all. I should try to find now some of those reviews to see why did they mislead me. Anyway there's always a limit to the trust you can put on other reviewers' opinions, at the end of the day we are all different.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 14:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I thought about this when I wrote my review for King Crimson's first album, which still is the only one of theirs I have ever done ... it was the only album where my words made sense!!!

However, it is lost in the bunch of "reviews", and I doubt that anyone else has read it to see the difference and have an appreciation for something else

Never too late to post a link, Pedro

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 07:48
I've got to agree with "qualify why" - I've had reviews where someone comes on, just posts a few stars, bu88ers off. 

Well, that was useful. Not only does it not help the artist, it doesn't allow anyone else to form an opinion, either. At the end of the day, reviews are all about personal taste, or lack thereof. It's a subjective... subject. ;-)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 13:05
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I thought about this when I wrote my review for King Crimson's first album, which still is the only one of theirs I have ever done ... it was the only album where my words made sense!!!

However, it is lost in the bunch of "reviews", and I doubt that anyone else has read it to see the difference and have an appreciation for something else

Never too late to post a link, Pedro

I'm a bit too blind these days to be able to find these things in this place ... it is a really hard effort tha tonly adds to the headaches ... I will save this link, and thanks a bunch.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345