Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFar out Synthesizer Solos in Early Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 21:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

"Solo", in my book, is for the "hits" ... you don't go to see Turandot for one aria or solo. You don't go to see Clapton for one "solo" ... it's an idiotic idea. The issue is that we refuse to give rock music, and its many variations the credit it deserves as solid music that deserves consideration and mention in the history of music ... everyone here, talks about it as just another pop song with a bridge and a solo in it and nothign else ... and after a while that discussion, and THAT SONG are blank, boring, repetitious and have nothing to shake you with!

Why are you, and others, refusing to elevate teh music, when so much of it is way better than merely a pop song? Ohhh btw, Tangerine Dream is a bunch of fa****s and ugly old f**kers that can't play, since all they do during their shows is solo from beginning to the end ... !!!!

I was just listening to a Jascha Heifitz recording of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D Major on the way to work today. Here's an edited movie version:

F*cking unbelievable solo, dude! Amazing how many of the greatest classical composers of all time put solos in their works. Why do you think they did that? They must not have consulted you. Had you only been around when Vivaldi was composing, there would be no silly solos in the Four Seasons. And the music world would be better for it! No needless soloists like Paganini, Vladimir Horowitz or Pablo Casals with their idiotic rock 'n' roll attitudes.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Sorry!!!! Your music definition and understanding needs to spread out a bit more. On the floor with a piss is a good start!

You need to stop and read what you type before hitting the "post reply" button. Because you sound like a dick.

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 31 2014 at 21:45
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 13:46
Le Orme - Sospesi Nell'incredibile (Felona & Sorona)

Everytime I listen to this wonder l never tire of saying: "This is fantastic!!" Such a sheer expression of deep feelings translated to a genuine "capo lavoro"!

Edited by Rick Robson - February 08 2015 at 13:47

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 13:50
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Le Orme - Sospesi Nell'incredibile (Felona & Sorona)

Everytime I listen to this wonder l never tire of saying: "This is fantastic!!" Such a sheer expression of deep feelings translated to a genuine "capo lavoro"!

Clap

yeah that album has spawned more 'just what was he playing' questions than any album I ever remember discussing.

the funny thing is Toni when asked about it... couldn't remember just what his keyboard setup was for that album LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 13:55
^LOL  hell yeah Micky! Maybe not even Toni himself remembers it anymore hahah

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 14:05

I doubt it... he has my email.. he never got back to me as he said he would if he remembered. LOL

unless he forgot about me as well.. if you really remember.. you really weren't there.

So when do we get the Le Orme never existed thread?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 14:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I doubt it... he has my email.. he never got back to me as he said he would if he remembered. LOL

unless he forgot about me as well.. if you really remember.. you really weren't there.

LOL I'm for it too!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 14:21
of course I'm waiting for the 'Micky never existed' thread... I have no shame..I'm all into vanity man. LOL What if Micky never existed. What would this place be like? Sleepy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 15:26
Sensations' Fix is my favorite synthesizer based band.
A lot of their music consists of interaction between 
synthesizer and guitar. Whether you consider these 
passages to be solos or not would be up to the listener.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 05:01

LOL I'm for it too!
Just what is the keyboard that opens up the album ?? I thought it was a mellotron many years ago, then a modified organ, now I'm thinking it's some distorted string synth....can't make my mind up......
........apparently, neither can Toni......
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 12:34
Is there a place that has translations of these lyrics in Italian Prog?
I really have no idea what they are singing about.   It's probably
something I want to know. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 14:29
Haven't looked for a specific track solo but Manfred Mann's Earth Band "Nightingales and Bombers" album immediately came to mind relating to the Synthesizer.
jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 14:52
Aye.
Definitely.
Manfred was a master of the instrument.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 15:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

LOL I'm for it too!
Just what is the keyboard that opens up the album ?? I thought it was a mellotron many years ago, then a modified organ, now I'm thinking it's some distorted string synth....can't make my mind up......
........apparently, neither can Toni......

LOL  funny... I took that album to work with me today and had a great listen to it..it had been a long time since I had listened to it.. and I still can not figure what he was playing.  I do think that is one of the great mysteries of prog rock, I've never seen a definitive answer to it.

I really can't remember anything of that era that sounds anything like it, whereas later musicians had access to all kinds of new synths and sh*t to play with.  Basically you had a few primitive synths and a handful of organs and that was it. Maybe it was something done up special by Farfisa? Who knows. He doesn't remember that is for sure LOLLOL
Daniele Spdavecchia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 21:50
I love Le Orme synth work on Felona e Sorona, even the melodies played on synth are interesting. I think Toni's Farfisa was running through a overdriven amp.

Another song with an unusual synth sound is from PFM: "Trama le Trame Blu"... the all song is very fusionesque with lots of interesting musical phrases.

The most dissonant work might be on Gentle Giant's "Acquiring The Taste" and Pink Floyd's "Atom Earth Mother" albums.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 00:21
^ Did Toni use Farfisa at all ?? I think I'm quite 'anal' (no - not in that way.....) about the source of obscure sounds produced by many of our beloved Prog bands, and this Felona thing has me quite stumped. I notice on the live album that Toni has the backing ripped off his, what looks like a Hammond, with all these wires hanging out of it. It's such a spacey, stringy sound I've heard nowhere else. Now, if Toni was too stoned to recall, I guess then, none of us will know. And it's an AMAZING sound which adds otherworldly texture to the piece.
I could go on for years about this subject - Ratledge, Stewart, Sinclair, DeCamps etc.
Why modern players don't incorporate these sounds and aural experiments these days ????

I think, for example, Jordan Rudess has his 'signature' sound - but it is almost like the equivalent to a shredding guitar. Same for Hans Lundin from Kaipa. Almost like a synth that emulates guitar. Recent Le Orme too.
I simply fall for unique sounds and how they are generated, what equipment/effects were used etc.
I'm dumbfounded Pagliuca can't recall what stuff he used. Hey, I'm messed-up and I can still pinpoint the first time I heard the song 'Babe' on the radio, and I was 7, on a camping trip with my Dad and Sister, and fishing of the shore of a place called Lakes Entrance. I even recall what I ate around then........ a thing called a Hamburger. I didn't eat meat until this point in time. The takeaway joint was called 'Chequers', and I was hooked. I digress.
All I can say is that the dope back then was more effective than in the late 80's - early 90's.........
Toni...........rack your brain, lots of us need to know..........
Daniele Spdavecchia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 12:08
Pagliuca puzzles me too. While Aldo Tagliapietra (Le Orme bass and voice) continued on the same path, Toni seems to be a different person who took a more commercial path.

In the music industry in general everything has become very "safe". All the old bands use sample of the old sounds for their keyboards. On one side I understand that new instruments are more reliable, but there are lots of good new synths waiting to be tweaked.

I feel the words free and out-there are very rare nowadays in music, that's why we hold the past very dear.
I am glad I am not alone feeling like this.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 12:35
Opening "Felona and Sorona" sounds like a processed Hammond Organ.
A little faint phaser, some chorus and reverb.  It's going to take off the
initial attack if you cut off the original source signal and only record the
processed line.  He's probably using a Leslie amp as well.  A lot of tremlo
type chorusing.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 09:03
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I'd like to recommend Gentle Giant's Alucard ,  Nothing of All and The Queen (1970), The Who's Song Is Over (1971),  Aphrodite's Child's The Capture of The Beast (1972), Uriah Heep's Sweet Loraine (1972), Pink Floyd's Absolutely Curtains (1972), Caravan's The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again (1973), and  Seventh Wave's Eversolightly (1974)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234