Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat revived prog in the 90s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:10
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Honestly aside from Yes's "Union" (the idea of which seemed exciting until I heard it) and Gabriel's "Us" I didn't hear about much of anything going on prog-wise in the '90s. I basically gave up on it and explored other genres. I didn't even find out there was a renaissance until I started looking into it again the following decade. Bummer too because Anglagard played Milwaukee when I was living in Chicago but was unaware of them at that point.

what???, not much going on in the '90s prog only Gabriel and Unuion, Angrythere were  hundred of bands tring to revive the genre. I was 15 when Images and words was on the market, was an album that hit many listners right in the face, and many more

I didn't say there wasn't anything going on, it just didn't reach my sphere of influences. I was in Chicago listening to WXRT and didn't get on the internet regularly till 2004.

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 16:14
Prog pretty much ended in 83 or 84. There are bit and pieces of real prog around the place but rarely.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 20:13
I've missed your insane rambling doctor.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 21:10
Nothing. Prog is dead.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 01:21
I suppose its like some strange caper movie where someone stands behinds a corpse and moves the limbs about to give the impression that its still alive.Smile
progaholic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 06:43
In the hearts of prog lovers, prog never went away. It looked desparate but we always believed... and were proved right!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by Greg W Greg W wrote:

Nothing. Prog is dead.

Kinda weird that ProgArchives is still going on about it, hein?

Tongue

Originally posted by progaholic progaholic wrote:

In the hearts of prog lovers, prog never went away. It looked desparate but we always believed... and were proved right!

Music never goes away! It's our minds that forgets how to listen to something else! And a board like this trying hard to make it worse!

Make sure you remember that!

Edited by moshkito - December 09 2014 at 10:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 23:18
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Prog pretty much ended in 83 or 84. There are bit and pieces of real prog around the place but rarely.

I both have a violent urge to say, "noooo you're wrong!" to this statement and a simultaneous fear that you might be right....

Even in a lot of the new stuff that I like, I often find that there's something.... missing.  Hard to quantify, though.  Prog has gotten really, really, really synthy and electric.  I miss a lot of the old stuff where the acoustic and the electric were both used a lot, and progressive really did mean progressive - changing with time (not just repeating the same thing over and over again).  While I love plenty of new music that's labeled prog rock, I often feel that it's just taking certain elements of old prog - e.g. wacky synth sounds and fast-moving guitar riffs - and just using those rather than blending many different elements based on a creative vision.

Also, to those of you saying prog never really revived, I have to agree.  Yes, it's still around, but it never made it back into the mainstream market.  I was a teen in the '90s and I never heard anything that I would have called prog rock on the radio.  Songs with progressive elements, sure, but not prog rock.

That's not to say that there wasn't lots of below-the-radar activity, which I would suspect stemmed partially from the kids of the prog rock fans growing up... such as myself... as Smurph suggested.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 01:38
One of the things I'm taking from this discussion is the scepticism that drawing your influence from just progressive rock music is not in itself a progressive approach to music. However where does that leave a band like Muse who draw from a wide range of musical influences including punk and alternative music as well as prog? Is that not a progressive approach. The irony is that many consider them NOT to be a prog band because they are not 'proggy' enough yet doesn't sounding 'proggy' mean that you are not being progressive but just imitating?! Oh dear my head hurts!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 01:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

One of the things I'm taking from this discussion is the scepticism that drawing your influence from just progressive rock music is not in itself a progressive approach to music. However where does that leave a band like Muse who draw from a wide range of musical influences including punk and alternative music as well as prog? Is that not a progressive approach. The irony is that many consider them NOT to be a prog band because they are not 'proggy' enough yet doesn't sounding 'proggy' mean that you are not being progressive but just imitating?! Oh dear my head hurts!!

I 100% am on board with you here, that's exactly what I was saying.  But I like the way you said it better!  You helped me understand it more, myself...

The difference between "sounding proggy" and "being progressive" is a big one, and yes, I think most of the new prog music I hear just "sounds proggy."
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 02:03
maybe it was Queen with Innuendo ( the song) 1991, crazy song, video and lpud guitar
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 17:23
You know I thought of something today. In the '80s Marillion was was carrying the torch or was at least the the most visible band in that was completely prog in the classic sense. The departure of Fish at the end of the decade may have caused concern that it could go away for good. So new musicians were inspired to carry on. Just a theory.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

You know I thought of something today. In the '80s Marillion was was carrying the torch or was at least the the most visible band in that was completely prog in the classic sense. The departure of Fish at the end of the decade may have caused concern that it could go away for good. So new musicians were inspired to carry on. Just a theory.

At the risk of making everything 'UK centric' one of the thing that did change in the 90's was a general shift in emphasis back towards bands that could write and play their own music. A lot of people were fed up with the manufactured state of eighties pop music and the over reliance on video and a 'look' to sell the music. The 90's saw the battle between Suede , Oasis and Blur in the British charts. Now none of these were prog bands obviously but I think there was a shift towards proper bands who wrote their own songs and could play them as well. The looking back at the sixties for inspiration helped fuel a revival in 'real music' played by 'real' musicians. I can remember Keith Emerson making positive noises about this at the time with regards to one of his sons who was into Oasis.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 22:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

At the risk of making everything 'UK centric' one of the thing that did change in the 90's was a general shift in emphasis back towards bands that could write and play their own music. A lot of people were fed up with the manufactured state of eighties pop music and the over reliance on video and a 'look' to sell the music. The 90's saw the battle between Suede , Oasis and Blur in the British charts. Now none of these were prog bands obviously but I think there was a shift towards proper bands who wrote their own songs and could play them as well. The looking back at the sixties for inspiration helped fuel a revival in 'real music' played by 'real' musicians. I can remember Keith Emerson making positive noises about this at the time with regards to one of his sons who was into Oasis.

I hope you are right, because if so it might foreshadow a similar reaction to the current state of popular music.  Oh please, please, please let this be the case!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234