Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Mahavishnu Orchestra prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Mahavishnu Orchestra prog rock?
    Posted: August 12 2005 at 22:37

Another newbie here. I can't believe I've been on the net for years and never found this place. Great website! I've been feasting on the reviews, finding all sorts of new directions to go in.

I love all the 70s prog standards: Tangerine Dream, Gentle Giant, Gong, and the 70s Canadian stuff, FM and Nash the Slash. Check out FM's first album, Black Noise, I think the best prog rock to come out of Canada. Syrinx is another forgotten Canadian band. They were doing electronic music in the very early 1970s.

I vote Mahavishnu Orchestra from the early 70s to be prog rock. I know they usually get lumped in with jazz-rock fusion, but there's more rock than jazz, and they really took rock in an amazing, unique direction, which is what I think prog rock is about. The albums "Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds of Fire" are staggering.

I think Miles Davis' 1969 Bitches Brew should be considered one of the first prog rock records. I know, jazz-rock fusion again, but Miles was the first to think of taking rock music in an innovative new direction. Jazz-rock seems so obvious now, but he was the first to do it, and this is still the best electric jazz-rock fusion album ever, any prog rock fan would appreciate it.  Interesting that John McLaughlin was the guitarist on this album and the Mahavishnu Orchestra albums.

Hope I'm not being a heretic bringing up jazz-rock!

Tim
FM, Nash the Slash, Camel
olafr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 10:32

....I agree with you that Mahavisnu can be classified as prog-rock.... they have incredible instrumentalists, and a sort of King Crimson ice-cold guitar feel (combined with viloin) that is unique!

....and Billy Cobham is unbelievable   

I myself like all kinds of music, especially seventies rock & progressive, also more instrumental stuff like Camel and Focus.... the best period for me is from 1968-1975.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 14:01

Seem to be quite acceptable around here!

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=649

Welcome Roaryg by the way!Big smile

NegativeTrend View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 18:14
Another fusion loving noob welcomes you. :)

little_neutrino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 00:11

Totally agreed on Bitches Brew. I mean if we can consider Crimson's Starless and Bible Black to be a proggy record we can certainly let in Bitches Brew. And how "progressive" was that - being the first to combine guitars and keyboards with jazz AND throw in some psychedelia to the mix?

Syrinx sounds awesome! Especially since they're Canadian

Go everyone in this thread for loving fusion.

(ps dude I love your avatar!!)

Edited by little_neutrino
 Post Reply Post Reply