Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAngelo's Rock Orphanage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 01:30
Echolyn I heard you listening

I intended to wait with this review until the vinyl was out, but that would take too long now that it's postponed (although only by a week) - the world needs to know all there is to know about this album, now. If only because I just started a new love affair - with Echolyn.

Echolyn Cover

Echolyn have been around for over 25 years if we count from their founding in 1989. The current line up has only been in effect since 2003 when bass player Tom Hyatt formally joined the band, joining the other members who had been there from the start. Now 25 years together, with only the bass player replaced has made Echolyn a stable force when it comes to composing their music. Full review here...

Edited by Angelo - September 02 2015 at 01:37
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 01:31
Angelo's Rock Orphanage on ISKC Rock and Web Radio

Although I started carefully, by offering to do this once a month, I quickly changed my mind. From this week onward, I will provide a weekly playlist to ISKC Rock Radio, which will be played on Wednesday evening between 9PM and 11PM.

cropped-facebook-banner07-jpeg-.jpg

The playlists will sometimes deviate from the ISKC standard, in the sense that I record interviews with artists every once in a while, and these will be aired as part of the playlist sequence as well when appropriate. Keep an eye out for those, if all goes well we'll be featuring a Silhouette interview next week and one with Kristoffer Gildenlöw the week after.

My playlist for this week, Wednesday September 2nd on ISKC Rock & Webradio is included below.

02/09: Canada Québec 3 pm / US: PT noon, MT 1 pm, CT 2 pm, ET 3 pm / Chile Santiago, Brazil Rio de Janeiro 4 pm / UK 8 pm / Mozambique 9 pm / Estonia, Latvia, Lebanon & Ukraine 10 pm
03/09: India New Delhi 0.30 am / Japan 4 am / Australia Melbourne 5 am

Listening Link: http://www.iskc.nl/rock.m3u
Radio APP - http://iskc.nl/iskc_radio_app.htm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ISKCWebradio
Chatroom: http://stinto.net/en/chat.htm?refId=azc43
Email us at: [email protected]
Time conversion: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
Playlist:

Savatage - Welcome to the Show
The Minstrel's Ghost - The Son
Kalle Vilpuu - Industrial No4
ANURYZM - Full Agonist
Marco Ragni - Sea of Vibes
Gekko Projekt - progressive rock band - Frienda
Transport Aerian - Full Body Access
Abel Ganz- Heartland
Odin of London (ft. Colin Tench) - Catherine
Beardfish - Ode to the Rock ’n Roller
United Progressive Fraternity - UPF- Don’t look back - Turn lef
Fractal Mirror - Stars
Coalition - Across the sea
Dave Kerzner - Ocean of Stars
Kinetic Element Official Site- Travelog
Unreal City - La Meccanica dell'ombra
Dave Brons - Father

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 15:25
Over the past 9 months, I wrote quite a few reviews and had many discussion with people about music. One topic that keeps coming back is the role of vocals. They have mixed role - both telling the story through lyrics, and adding something musical by their melody. However, when they're absent, music can still tell stories, which is what Estonian guitarist Kalle Vilpuu proves on his album Silver LiningsThere are a few voices to be heard on this album, but only to support the music, where needed, without lyrics. [ full review here ]

Kalle-Vilpuu-Silver-Lining

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 15:27
Science fiction, something I like a lot when I was a teenager, and that can still get my attention when I run into a good movie or book. Apparently, I should add music album to that list as well - given this new release by Gekko Projekt.

With Reya of Titan they have released a concept album that tells the story of Reya, a space miner who ends up becoming the queen of Saturn's moon Titan. The lyrics tell the story, not just the facts but also the emotions, and the music adds to that. Did I just define again what a concept album is...? [ full review here ]

gekkoi

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 15:33
On ratings for reviews

A few months ago, I thought it was a good idea to add some ratings to my reviews, in order to give people a feel for what to expect without having to read the full review. That felt paradoxal, because on one end I write the reviews, and at the same time I devised a way for people not having to read them. Yet, I did include the ratings for some reviews.

Looking at ratings as such, I've always had mixed feelings about them, mainly because of the way they are interpreted. [ full article here ]

OnRatings

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 15:52
Today I had a discussion with a friend on how people listen to music. There's a lot of rock and metal music being released under the moniker 'progressive'. Regardless of how fitting that moniker is (complexity and experimentation does not always mean that the music is 'progressing', pushing forward the boundaries of music), it's a fact that a lot of this music is not something you grab on first listen. It takes at least a bit of time and effort to get into it, to give it proper listen and let it sink in. This is no different with the album All is not for Allreleased a few months ago by Anuryzm, a metal outfit hailing from the United Arab Emirates. [ full review here ]

cover

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 19:02

Murky Red - No Pocus without Hocus

Sometimes, it's hard to get into an album - as a listener, or as a reviewer. And in other cases, it just happens naturally. The latter is the case with Murky Red's new album No Pocus without Hocus, and album that I could listen to since 4 weeks before the official release. 

?
Album cover - click for hi-res image

With this album, it is clear that Murky Red have grown since their debut - or maybe they just stopped being shy and are no longer holding back on what they have been wanting to play all the time. Of course, they still mix rock and blues, more elements have been added now. Heavy guitar riffs, mixed with melodic guitar solos, a well educated organ, and some nicely mixed in percussion are used to build rock walls, which are interleaved with psychedelic sound trips (no, not soundscapes), surrounding the hypnotising voice of Stef Flaming.

[Click here for full review]

Edited by Angelo - October 25 2015 at 19:02
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 08:06
I've been quiet for a little bit as far as my blog was concerned. Four new posts (3 reviews) today though...

After a short break - on to 2016

Today I realised it's been over a month since I posted anything here, and the last post wasn't even a review. I have been reviewing, for other sites, and I've been busy with other music related activities (more on that in future posts). This year, 2015, was a bit of a special year for me, in many ways.

Daniel

A year in which I had a lot of time to spend on music and other things that are supposed to bring joy and happiness. Not entirely because I wanted to,... [Full 267 words]

Seconds before Landing - II

Composer, singer, drummer and midi player, that is the description John Crispino's name has on the album IIthe second release of his personal project Seconds before Landing. On the album he gets the assistance of Steve Schuffert on guitars, JD Garrison on bass, Jamie Peck on piano, saxophone and fluteand Maurice Witkowski on acoustic guitar. 

secondsbeforelandingii

With a line up like that, there is a hint that this could be a jazz rock influenced release, ... [Full 326 words]

IZZ - Everlasting Instant

IZZ have been around since the 90s, and were founded by American brothers  Tom (keyboards, vocals) and John (bass, guitar, keyboards, vocals) Galgano. Over time, the band became known for incorporating different styles into their music, and for combining four vocals: the two brothers, and female vocalists Laura Meade and Anmarie Byrnes). They've been getting more attention since their fourth album My River Flows (2005), and released their seventh, Everlasting Instant in 2015. 

izzeverlastinginstant

For me, this album was the first I heard of IZZ, another band I had heard about but never got around to listening until this year. [Full 740 words]

Il Ballo Della Castagne - Live Studio

The Austrian (and according to some Italian) band Il Ballo Della Castagne is the brain child of singer Vinz Aquarian and guitars/keyboard player Marco Gargegnani. They founded the band in 2007 and released four studio albums since then. The album under review here, Live Studio, is the fifth, and was recorded live (in band setting) in the Nadir studio in Genua, Italy. 

ilballo

Il Ballo Della Cassagne is considered part of the Rock Progressivo Italiano (RPI) movement within progressive rock, but is more fittingly described as Dark Italian Prog. Unlike most RPI bands, they don't copy the sound of the progressive rock acts that Italy brougth forth in the 1970s (PFM, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Le Orme, Museo Rosenbach), but rather create their own mix [Full 376 words]

Edited by Angelo - December 06 2015 at 08:07
ISKC Rock Radio
Ier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 12:55
Keep up the good work Angelooooooooo! Big smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 05:30
I will, Iris!

ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 17:02
David Bowie - Blackstar
When I ordered David Bowie's Blackstar at the end of 2015, I was excited - looking forward to reviewing the album, as my first review of 2016. I was never a big fan of Bowie, until just over a year ago, and it was magical to discover his first 14 albums while getting the announcements of a new album that was 'going to be different than anything he'd done before'. The video for the title track, and the audio track for Lazarus, which only got video added the day before the album was released, certainly showed that Bowie was up to something very new. Electronic music, with a jazzy, avant garde feel to it, and weird images of a blind folded Bowie in the video - indeed things he had never done before. 

[Full review]

Blackstar_album_cover

Edited by Angelo - January 16 2016 at 17:02
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 02:23
Looks like I've been neglecting this spot a bit recently. Oops. Here's a summarised update of what is on the blog, and some things I did in parallel.

Reviews published:

CD Presentation:

Other articles:
It's been a bit quiet, hasn't it? (on a short break I took)
How will it grow (3)? (On some music I'm working on)
Alvin's CM Album announced! (Don't forget to check the date on that one)

Apart from these posts, I've been running the Wednesday edition of The Prog Files on ISKC Rock Radio, recorded a tiny little bit of bass for the Colin Tench Project, and found out that (for reasons unclear to me) two people have blocked me on Facebook, including a ProgArchives SC LOL.

Edited by Angelo - June 12 2016 at 02:26
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 03:04
And today's post of course....

No idea if I'm going to post this here every week, but I was postively surprised by some entries in the Gagliarchives Top 20 for the week of June 10th, which I caught on Tom Gagliardi's show this morning. Usually I don't catch that programme, since it runs from 4AM-8AM local time on Sunday morning for me, but he had an extended show today, running till almost 9AM. Definitely a list to keep an eye on, even if you can't catch Tom's show.

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 09.48.09

ISKC Rock Radio
Ier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 14:15
Keep up with the good work, sir! Hug
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 06:29
So bad... I didn't keep this up to date. But the blog is not dead, nor is the radio show...

Colin Tench Project - Hair in a G-String

Classically trained (but not in guitar) guitarist Colin Tench is about 132 years old now. He was there when George Martin was conceived, errm, conceived The Beatles... Having learned to play the instrument at 22, after a 110 years he can barely be distinguished from the ones who started at age 5. This is the point where I could say 'All jokes aside' and continue, but with this album I'm afraid that's very hard, as there is a lot to laugh about, in between 80 minutes of seriously good and well performed music. [ 843 more words ]

http://www.angelosrockorphanage.com/…/colin-tench-project-…/

Edited by Angelo - October 02 2016 at 06:29
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123