Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (129)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [25.00%]
2 [25.00%]
2 [25.00%]
2 [25.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (129)
    Posted: February 21 2015 at 16:21
Altais : St
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irm2rbzaLsA

Captain Ilor : Blue Sunshine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w79CYmeeew

Michel Colombier : Wings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACeUOgNisUE

Mosaic : Ultimatum Plus ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVW7nCPV2eQ
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 16:23

Altaïs
Altaïs Zeuhl

Review by Sagichim 
Collaborator Eclectic Prog Team

3 stars Oh..I wish this would have been a whole album. Altais is an extremely obscure band from france who managed to release only this very short EP in 1986, not much is known about the band, and when I say not much I mean nothing. They are actually a brief glance at the world of Zehul, this EP contains only three songs clocking at 14 minutes, and if that's not enough, the last track is 2 minutes of atmospheric keyboards, which can be regarded as a filler. So basically we are looking at two songs, the only reason I'm reviewing this is because I really like those songs.

Altais plays a heavy type of Zehul, very dark and creepy. Aside from the inevitable Magma influences, the closest comparison I can make is Shub Niggurath which surprisingly released their debut album in that same year. It's not as slow going as Shub, but that very low thundering and deep bass along with the frightening atmosphere is very much alike. The keyboards are used mainly for essential atmosphere but there is some modest playing too. Vocals are in gibberish or is it Altaisish? Whatever it is they are very good, and when I say good I mean it suits the music perfectly, Philippe Goudier's vocals are deep and growly (not growls like in metal) more like a pissed madman, I think their vocals are one of their best aspects.

Actually for a very small band that only played a brief visit and came up with only two actual songs, this is very good and mature, I believe if they had a chance to continue, this would make one hell of an album. The music is not focusing on one particular idea, it changes from one part to the other pretty quickly and very easily too. "Altais" is the first song, it starts with a mysterious mood, wind noises and a typical Zehulic female vocals in the background, which makes you wonder where would this go? then they hit you with a relentless bass as vocals are mumbling over it. It then stops and the tension immediately rises as it gets even more creepier, the bass continues to growl as Ziltoid The Omniscient hops for a visit and asks for another cup of coffee using the local idiom, only this time he is really pissed. Then comes the mantra chanting turn using all the vocals they can think of, along with some cool breaks, this is excellent as the rhythm gets more intense until it explodes. "Promenade" is a song that shows their sympathy for percussions and all kinds of noises. It's a little more complex, great rhythm from the beginning with a slow piano lead and cool percussion noises, I love it. The piano keeps on going like it's looking for something as the bass helps him out only this time it sounds like a sedated beast. After a quick piano interlude It continues the same path only now it's more intense with all kinds of noises, elephants and birds too. Very good stuff.

This very small snippet of Zehul is a very good addition only if you would like to complete your Zehul collection, but not essential in any way. The first song appeared on a Musea compilation of Zehul called "Enneade". I'll definitely keep listening to it whenever I have a spare ten minutes. 3.5 stars.

Soleil Zeuhl label owner Alain had a teaser announcement on his website a couple of months back, that they were going to reissue some unreleased material from a "late 70s Zeuhl" band. Well, the news has now come to light. And here's the announcement after CDRWL contributor TheH correctly answered the quiz!: 

"Bravo! This is indeed ALTAÏS. That band has a unique story : it was born on the ashes of another zeuhl band named APSARA who split when 2 of its members left for joining another zeuhl band, then named GORGONUS. Very quickly afterwards, GORGONUS will be renamed .... SHUB NIGGURATH...! On the other side, the remaining members of Apsara, renamed the band ALTAÏS.

Our issue will gather the official ALTAÏS maxi (3 tracks, 14 minutes - 1 track already available on Musea's comp. "Enneade") + the sole studio track ever recorded by APSARA (10 minutes, never released) + live APSARA tracks (40 minutes).

The complete story of the 3 bands will be detailed into a booklet written by Calyx. 

In short, it's gonna be the early days of Shub Niggurath and its short-lived twin band (Altaïs)" 

First day buyer here! I thought Altais to be an 80s band, so I guessed incorrectly (and we're now finding out that Apsara existed between 1981 to 1983, so the hint turned out to be misleading based on incorrect data initially provided by the band).CDRWL.

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 20:10
The only one I know is Altais but I voted for Captain Ilor. Great stuff.Thumbs Up
Magma America Great Make Again
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 20:17
Mosaic
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 01:08
Thanks guys. Heart

Darryl, this Captain Ilor is Great Kraut. Their best in my opinion. Only the first one : MINDf**k exists on Cd.     I have it. This is psychedelic rock, but very good. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 03:15

Captain Ilor ‎– Blue Sunshine

Label:
Coloured Rain ‎– 014/82
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album 
Released:
Genre:
Style:

Tracklist

ABlue Sunshine Part I18:23
BBlue Sunshine Part II17:51

Credits

• Guitar [Acoustic/Electric Guitars], Piano, Flute, Vocals – Swara*
  • Guitar [Wah Wah Guitar And Various Other Stringed Instruments], Synthesizer [Moog], Vocals –Captain Ilor
  • Organ, Percussion – Mr. Rainbow
  • Percussion – K. Deter*
  • Vocals, Sounds – Julia (41)

Check out this one too. 

Captain Ilor ‎– Gnadenloser Paarungstrieb

Label:
Coloured Rain ‎– 007/78
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album 
Released:
Genre:
Style:

Tracklist

A1Erwin The Funky Refrigerator6:20
A2Mindsurfer's Serenade14:30
B1Gnadenloser Paarungstrieb8:55
B2R.R.S. Blues8:55

Credits

• Bass [Wah Wah] – Ilor* (tracks: B1)
  • Flute – Swara* (tracks: B1)
  • Guitar [Leslieguitar] – Ilor* (tracks: B2)
  • Organ – Merlin (16) (tracks: A2, B1)
  • Percussion – Karl Deter
  • Synthesizer [Moog] – Merlin (16) (tracks: B1), Swara* (tracks: A2)
  • Vocals, Bass – Swara*
  • Zither [Diverse Mit Drächten Bespannte Holzbretter] – Ilor*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrdaE9pCM_A
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 10:31
I picked Altais and I believe the re-issue will be available in April which I look forward to.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 10:46
Yes John, and with a concert in bonus. Hope the sound will be good. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 04:36

Mosaïc - Ultimatum[1978]{France}(Zeuhl)

Listening exclusively to Mozart and Haydn, wonderful though they are, won't give you much of a handle on what Charles Rosen is on about in The Classical Style; there's more to Romantic opera than Verdi and Wagner, and bebop didn't conveniently die out when Charlie Parker did. Take progressive rock, for instance (and that must be one of the most spectacularly stupid monikers ever dreamt up) – if you find yourself having to teach a class in the subject one day and need just one album to illustrate the instrumental aspect of the genre, you could do no better than Ultimatum, recorded in a studio just south of Paris in 1978 by the group Mosaic (the brothers Brebion – Hubert and Yves – on drums and keyboards respectively, with Jean-Yves Escoffier on guitar and synths and Philippe Lemongne on bass and synths). All the prog trademark elements are there: the earnest and never-resolving augmented triads and self-consciously clever polyrhythmic riffing of the so-called Canterbury school (not to mention The Mothers of Invention), in yer face guitar embroidery à la Holdsworth / Beck, skittery showcase drumming (Wyatt, Bruford, Vander..), not too many vocals to speak of (does "Le torero d'alu I,II,III, IV" actually count as a song? As far as the bawling on "Mercenaire" goes, the less said the better..) but what there are come straight outta Henry Cow. There are also the obligatory doses of silliness (the garbled phone messages of "Rue Tabaga") and weirdness (the queasy strings of "Souvenirs, souvenirs"), and to top it all off – Meidad Zaharia has that obsessive record collector's passion for ultra-rare and preferably unreleased material – lots of bonuses: three tracks recorded as a demo in 1977, with a certain Valentin Bontchev on violin (very good he is too), one live take and a home studio job called "Spoutnik" from 1976. Unless you're a real prog nut, it's highly unlikely you'll have heard Ultimatum – it was released in an edition of 500 and only 200 copies of the three-track demo Cuvée 77 were made, on cassette only – but Bontchev's solo on "Bonjour Docteur" (forget Ponty and Lockwood!) is one of several reasons why you should. Prognotfrog.(http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/monthly2004/12dec_text.html)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 06:10
Voted for Blue Sunshine Thumbs Up
It's a shame the Altais album is so short Disapprove
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 06:12
Patience. Soon it will be longer. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 02:03

COLOMBIER - IN THE VANGUARD OF FUSION MUSIC
June 5, 1971
By Richard Williams

One's initial reaction to the appearance of  MicheI Colombier's 'Wings' might be summed up in a paraphrase of one of Frank Zappa's better slogans, "Just what the world needs: another rock cantata."

Unfair, unfair. Colombier, although you may not have heard of him (yet), is a most interesting musician, a man of many parts who has much to say, both musically and verbally. 

"Wings," an album which A&M will shortly release, was written by Michel, with words by Paul Williams (who does the same for the Carpenters) and features singers Herb Alpert, Lani Hall (ex-Brasil '66, and Alpert's consort), Bill Medley (ex-Righteous Brothers), and Vermettya Royster (lead singer with the Sister Love). 

If there's something of an A&M "family" flavour about the whole thing, then that's not unnatural, and in fact Medley was contracted to MGM at the time fie was invited to sing on "Wings." He, too, is now with A&M.

Firstly, though, a word about Colombier's rather unusual background. The son of a classical violinist, Michel spent some of his school years in the Conservatoire at Mulhouse, France, before moving to Paris when he was 18, also to attend the Conservatoire there.

But he was growing more and more interested in jazz, and left the academy when he realised that It wasn't giving him the kind of instruction he needed. He took jobs in night clubs as a jazz pianist, and later began to make a name for himself as an arranger and writer of movie scores. 

In 1968 he became Petula Clark's arranger, and travelled to America with her for TV shows, where he began scoring movies at Universal In Hollywood. It was while Petula was recording her segment of a show called, 'The Brass Are Comin' that Alpert, the show 's star, first heard him, and liked what he heard. 

In fact he liked it so much that he invited Michel to write something which would combine all the elements of his musical background - pop, jazz, and classical - and the Frenchman was given a virtual carte blanche. 

"After Herb had asked me," he says, "I spent two or three months doing nothing. He'd given me too much freedom, and when that happens you just don't know what to do. I didn't know what to write ... in fact I began to think that I had nothing at all to say. But then I thought 'Herb wants me to spend so much money on it, so I must have something to deliver.'

"I got very depressed and nervous; I sent my family away on a trip to Israel, because I can't work In the situation of normal life. It was Spring, and Paris was very beautiful, with the sun and the birds and the trees, and that stopped me working too, so eventually I had to close the shutters on the windows to get some kind of nighttime atmosphere.

"I even insulted the maid; she wanted to cook beautiful meals for me, but I told her to go away and just leave a plate of bread and cheese. She's no longer with us. I listened to Stockhausen . . . and got very bored. It was a fiasco, but eventually I started to find melodies and chords and patterns, and finally I had some sort of a basis on which to work. 

"I decided to book the musicians and the sessions here and then, because that forces me to work, when I have that fear of the sessions getting closer. Then I felt much freer." 

All the instrumental sections were recorded in France, some with an 87-piece symphony orchestra - in particular a track called " Emmanuel," which is wholly classically-orientated. The pressure of work was so great that he says It was like he "was dreaming within a dream, like dreaming you're dreaming, you understand?" 

Well, just about . . . anyway, the background vocals (yes, you guessed: Venetta Fields, Clydie King, Sherlie Matthews, and - believe it or not - Rita Coolidge) and the jazz horns were recorded in Hollywood. The horns will be familiar to anyone who reads the personnel on big-band albums. Lanny Morgan, Tom Scott, Don Menza Kai Winding, and Benny Powell are just a few of the stalwarts. 

When it came to writing the lyrics, Michel merely indicated to Paul Williams the scope of feeling he was after, rather than any kind of story-line. "I didn't want 'I love you, you love me' words - I wanted something much more personal, and I told him not to get afraid of writing anything erotic. Like the beginning of 'All In All I - that's very ... personal, yes?" 

Err, yes. But what about the whole concept of fusing these different types of music? Doesn't that kind of thing tend to bleed the individual forms of Michel was quite upset by the question. 

"No, it's natural to use all the good things about each kind of music. It would be ridiculous to have a symphony orchestra playing pop, or to have Miles Davis playing classical music. It's easier to use everybody in their own bag. I used Jean-Luc Ponty on this album and I recorded him in front of one of the best symphony orchestras In the world. He was frightened, but afterwards many of the straight, string players came up into the booth to hear the playback." 

Yes, but doesn't it dull the edge of classical music to juxtapose It with pop, and vice versa? "I don't see how. You couldn't kill Aretha Franklin by putting her in front of the LSO. I think It's important that music will he one - all music is one, and If you let that separation go on, already you see musicians who are not helping music to progress. They'll laugh at Xenakis, as If it were insincere music, and that doesn't help their profession. If you play always the same thing, the music will be dead in no time." 

There's one thing that's for sure - if the day of Fusion Music (did I hear someone call it Consensus Music?) is coming, then Michel Colombier will be up in the vanguard. And "Wings" might just be the prototype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYIHAFWUo_k

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 06:25
Excellent music Pierre, I enjoyed everything here especially Captain Ilor!

I'll go with Altais though, I just love that little EP. And thanks for the update I didn't know it's being reissued with so much bonus material, I'll be definitely buying it when it'll come out Approve
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 07:55
Thanks for your vote and your review, Jimi 

Post Reply Post Reply