Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho's next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 02:54
LOL 
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 03:08
Anyone seen Rodrigo y Gabriella in concert? 500 teens singing (not mouthing) the words to Wish You Were Here... That wasn't a single and doesn't get air-play... Not even the dire Wycliffe Jean version.
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 04:29
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Everybody knows Video Killed The Radio Star, yet no-one has heard of The Buggles
Yet there is a little difference between The Who and The Buggles, I'd say. The Buggles is de facto one-hit wonder ("They are best known for their 1979 debut single...")
The Who is one of the greatest and the most celebrated 'Classic Rock' bands ever, in the same league with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

Yeah but I doubt this kid would've been mouthing 'Hey Jude' or 'Brown Sugar'.   There appears to be something truly eternal in the Who's music that even the Beatles and Stones can't seem to match.   I always assumed it would be Floyd or Zep that would continue to capture teens, but instead it's AC/DC, Sabbath, and The Who.

Floyd, as a band in the genre of progressive psychedelia, has a great, worldwide popularity. If nothing else, everybody knows Floyd due to The Wall.
Led Zep were a heavy blues-rock band that is world-wide knowing due to their songs Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir and Who Lotta Love.
AC/DC and Black Sabbath were great 70s heavy rock bands. Black Sabbath is still to be influential to young heavy bands.

However, it's something bigger with The Who. You have the mods-60s The Who with My Generation the song as a hymn of one (any?) generation. Then comes "pop art" The Who as a part of the British Invasion and you have a power pop / psych-pop 60s The Who and the songs like I Can See For Miles (that one is especially timeless and could be a hit right now!). Then comes Tommy and Woodstock festival 1969 that launched them into the orbit.
1970, the greatest live recorded Rock album ever, Live at Leeds  was released.
1971, Who's Next was released with a ground-breaking songs as Baba, BBE and WGFA that decades later featured in the great 'punk-movie'Summer of Sam.
1972, The first-class single Join Together / Baby Don't You Do It  released.
1973, Quadrophenia
1975, Tommy  the film by Ken Rusell & double LP soundtrack (Mr Townshend was completely rewriting the opera, this time in a 70s proggy style with so much of crazy synths played by him). No doubt that Rusell's Tommy  is one of the most memorable films of 20th century cinematography. The Who By Numbers the album released.
1978, Who Are You  the album and the first-class hit single released and the title song, decades later, was used so beautifully in very popular CSI tv serie.
1979, The Kids Are Alright was the best big-screen rockumentary at the moment when it comes in the cinemas; a soundtrack double LP album released and went Platinium.
1979, Quadrophenia the film.
1979 / 1980, the great "come-back" tour, the first tour without Moon. 
1981, Face Dances  the album released, with first-class single You Better You Bet / The Quiet One released.
1982, the "firewall tour" with the full stadiums in USA & UK and the full arenas in Europe and with The Clash as an opening act. A double live album Who's Last released.
1985, The Who participated at Live Aid what the whole world was watching live on tv.
1986, the band was perfoming Quad in its entirety at one-day event in Hyde Park, London.

It's not all, but I think it's quite enough to whip e.g. Led Zep to death.

Oh and there are many The Who songs that were / are radio friendly, there are countless The Who covers by so many young bands from variety of genres and, of course, these countless, amazing and memorable The Who concerts from 60s to 00s ( John Entwistle died ) as for example their stunning performance at Concert for New York (available at Youtube as many other The Who live footages from different eras).

Edited by Svetonio - March 11 2015 at 07:55
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 05:02
Ermm LOL
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 21:24

Svetty, you are aware that several of the Zeppelin remasters have charted? For instance, their 1969 self-titled debut hit #7 on the Billboard charts in 2014. That is not including previous releases (which were already multi-platinum), just the one's Jimmy Page has released starting in the last two years.

As much as I love them, I don't think The Who have anywhere close to the same firepower.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 21:37
^ But in this case it's not about firepower but simply power--  few can compare with the pyrotechnics of Zep in their prime, but ain't no one under 30 singing 'The Rain Song' and just a handful who know the words to Stairway.   Zep will always be a monster of rock, one of the undisputed Kings, but their music was largely dressed-up white man's blues.   They didn't really start writing songs until the fifth album; whereas The Who's discipline for very deliberate and universal songcraft seems to be paying off in the long run.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 22:40
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Svetty, you are aware that several of the Zeppelin remasters have charted? For instance, their 1969 self-titled debut hit #7 on the Billboard charts in 2014. That is not including previous releases (which were already multi-platinum), just the one's Jimmy Page has released starting in the last two years.

As much as I love them, I don't think The Who have anywhere close to the same firepower.
That Page and Plant's ability to make an excellent 70s heavy blues-rock album can not be even compared to Pete Townshend's ingenuity that was created these hymn-like, timeless The Who songs  that always will stay beyond a current fashion.

Edited by Svetonio - March 11 2015 at 22:41
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 12:46
My daughter likes Pinball Wizard when I play Tommy around the house. My sons are too young and impressionable to be subjected to songs like Cousin Kevin and Uncle Ernie, but my daughter is interested in plays and theater , understanding Tommy for it's art form more so than developing some prudish reaction to the bizarre lyrics or feelings of the emotionally disturbed. She understands Sgt. Pepper and The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society with the same logic. She is 13 years old, began listening to the British Invasion period and American Rock n' Roll at age 3, Prog and Classical later blah, blah,...but she knows all about the bands who started out in the British Invasion period and a few years later turned into Psychedelic Rock. Her awareness developed naturally by hearing the music around the house. Both of my sons are currently hooked on Contemporary Insanity by Happy The Man. They act as if they feel the power of that track and have questions for me regarding the music. This interest developed out of their exposure to hearing music and not through their personal interest in playing an instrument.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 14:59
And here I thought this thread was going to be about 'Who's Next'...which is my favorite Who album.
Embarrassed

btw....I'm bettting Dean is about right when he said Elton John...more people prolly know it from his version.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12