Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTyrannosaurus Rex - Proto prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyrannosaurus Rex - Proto prog
    Posted: March 26 2015 at 06:58
I am just curious do they qualify, as a very influentual band to many, i read describtion in the influence of acid folk bands Comus and Jan Dukes the Grey, or are they just a psychadeic folk band, can Tyrannosarus Rex be influded without adding the glam rock band T-Rex who is not prog rock, but Tyrannosarus and their discog, do it quaify for proto prog, proto prog folk, or is it a stretch?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 07:02
Confused They are already here under Prog Folk (Tyrannosaurus Rex [not T.Rex]Smile
What?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 07:09

Does that mean T Rex should be here under Prog-Related? Wink
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 07:29
Not as daft as it first appears Mr cheese, because Bolan worked on a symphonic rock suite called Children of Rarn that was to be a T.Rex release. 

Initially this was intended to be a double album accompanied by a full-length novel of the concept but was never completed, with only a very brief snippet of the suite appearing on the first T.Rex album. In 1974 Bolan rehearsed a 40 minute version of the suite but the project was shelved. After Bolan's death Tony Visconti pieced together a 16 minute sample of what the final album could have been like from demo sketches that Bolan had recorded over the years that he released as part of the posthumous Marc: Words and Music compilation.

The Children of Rarn Suite isn't Progressive Rock, but it's certainly related. Personally I don't think the 16 minute Visconti version is enough to warrant adding TRex into Prog Related, but it gives a tantalising glimpse of what could have been.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply