Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why did Roger Waters never get beyond The Wall?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy did Roger Waters never get beyond The Wall?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 06:58
I see there is some love for Mr Waters here at PA.  I have never thought much of his bass playing nor vocals. ..though he did come up with some decent concept ideas for Floyd.
PA ratings for solo works:
-Music From the Body- 2.91
-Pros and Cons- 2.99
-Radio Chaos- 2.90
-Amused- 3.94   

Looks like he's not all that well received based on those ratings though Amused did get well more than 3 but imho it only deserves about 3 stars.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 07:11
Amused to Death is - in my book - the best solo album by any Pink Floyd Member. His other albums are decent, but far from great. The PA ratings of Pros and Cons and Radio KAOS reflect my humble opinion accurately.
In general, I like David Gilmour's albums better (including About Face; On an Island proved to be a slow but steady grower).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 08:00
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Amused to Death is - in my book - the best solo album by any Pink Floyd Member. His other albums are decent, but far from great. The PA ratings of Pros and Cons and Radio KAOS reflect my humble opinion accurately.
In general, I like David Gilmour's albums better (including About Face; On an Island proved to be a slow but steady grower).

It might be the most 'dynamic' of the solo things by the ex members but I just don't care for his vocals , melody lines, and his angst ridden lyrics.
I also like Gilmour's solo things better as far as listening pleasure. BTW here's a clip to his upcoming new solo album.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 09:21
^I have heard this one recently and I just gave it another listen. To be honest, I am not impressed by this track. It sounds like a David Gilmour interpretation of a mainstream pop song. It doesn't make more sense to me than just an announcement on a French railway station.
The voice and the guitar sound familiar, trusted, and I still like them, though. But this amuse gives me the same sense of disappointment as when I had when 10CC turned up with "Dreadlock Holiday" some 37 years ago.

Still this song has one virtue: it gives me more patience to wait for the rest of the album.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 11:08

^I have heard this one recently and I just gave it another listen. To be honest, I am not impressed by this track. It sounds like a David Gilmour interpretation of a mainstream pop song. It doesn't make more sense to me than just an announcement on a French railway station.
The voice and the guitar sound familiar, trusted, and I still like them, though. But this amuse gives me the same sense of disappointment as when I had when 10CC turned up with "Dreadlock Holiday" some 37 years ago.

Still this song has one virtue: it gives me more patience to wait for the rest of the album.

I agree with you...I was not that impressed but I thought I would post it for you in case you hadn't heard it yet.
Even as it is...it's a lot easier for me to listen to than Waters music which annoys me for some reason.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 12:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I agree with you...I was not that impressed but I thought I would post it for you in case you hadn't heard it yet.
Even as it is...it's a lot easier for me to listen to than Waters music which annoys me for some reason.

Thanks anyway Smile.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 11:36
Because he ran into it...
Sorry if someone else already made that obvious joke Tongue
Wicket View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 12:54
(First take on this subject)

I agree with the idea had "Amused To Death" been a Floyd album, it could've been right up there with the best of them, but to me it seems like an album Waters made as if he thought he could rival the collective efforts of Pink Floyd and do it all by himself. It sounds to me like he tries way to hard to be Pink Floyd here, and it's just missing that extra something.

I've always loved Floyd for that signature sounds that both Gilmore and Waters contributed to, that laid-back style with soothing vocals and piercing, echoing guitar solos. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to "Great Gig In The Sky" in the car (and how many times I've tried singing that falsetto), and they've always made such great jams and very relaxing tunes. Maybe that's why I've fallen slightly more in the Gilmore camp than the Waters camp. The angst and sting of his voice was crucial to the effect it portrayed in The Wall. That angst and sting though just don't work all the time, and especially on "Amused To Death", it almost sounds like Waters is in pain singing half the time. It's actually kind of upsetting.

That's personally why I liked Gilmore over Waters. Sure, the post-Wall albums aren't on par with pre-Wall albums, Floyd was split between the calm of Gilmore and the angst of Waters. It was this combination that made Floyd so successful, and why neither's solo careers interest me. One could never create the same Floyd effect without the other, and both of them suffered for it.
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played" - Arnold Schoenberg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456