Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis-Calling All Stations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 17:58
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

[/QUO
Whoa .... OK , to be clear, I have pretty much everything Genesis have done from Trespass on , hell I've even got a copy of Spot the Pigeon and most of their solo efforts. They are for me my all time favourite band and my favourite Genesis albums range from Selling England to Duke, but We Can't Dance brilliant ? Not in my book. It's even less appealing than Invisible Touch and going by my recent listen I'm thinking CAS is better than either of its predecessors. Indeed CAS is probably better than Genesis the album. "Better" in this context means of course only that my ears think so but to me those albums simply lack depth.
[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose it can be said that 'music is in the ear of the beholder (or listener). So I stand my ground with We Can't Dance because I still heard all the classic Genesis elements in this album; "Fading Lights," "Spike," or "Living Forever." But that's my ear, as we all have them to enjoy this great historical parade of music from a 'brilliant' band.
[/QUOTE]

..... and so you should stand mate, so you should. The older I get the more I believe that in the ear of the beholder it is. Hell, I think much of modern pop is complete rubbish yet I can do no better, indeed I can do no.

After your post appeared last evening my time, I lined up the supposed Duke Suite tracks and let 'em roll. Now while I'll admit Fading lights e.g is not bad there is , imo, nothing on We Can't Dance to match Duke.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 18:06
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

When CAS came out, I was completely underwhelmed. I shuffled to it a few years later during a long train ride across India, and that's when I realized that there is some very nice stuff in the album. Perhaps it was the boat ride down the Ganges that morning that made me meditative enough to dig the music.

I think the album is too subtle to connect with people the way other Genesis albums did. I find Banks and Rutherford's playing to be subdued, but I like Wilson's singing. Perhaps the album would have fared better if they produced something a bit more challenging. 

'
Thoroughly agree. I wonder with CAS if the problem was that in fact it harked too far back in the history of Genesis and in fact sounds too much like pre Invisible Touch Genesis when the Genesis public had grown used to the idea of Genesis being, rightly or wrongly,  PC's backing band. Does anyone really believe that the Genesis of even W&W era would have gone on to become the phenomenon of We Can't Dance without Collins' solo success ?
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 19:36
Calling All Stations is definitely my least favorite, but I still stand by my opinion that there was no truly awful Genesis album; I mean, there's nothing by them that I could give a straight-up 1/5. In fact, I enjoy some of Phil Collins' later records such as Invisible Touch. Yeah, it's cheesy pop, but at least it's pretty fun to listen to. 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 19:37
Plus, I love Land of Confusion Big smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 19:44
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I stopped buying after Wind and Wuthering....though GKR makes a decent point about stopping after PG left.
Ermm
But Trick of the Tail is my favorite! Cry

I definitely think Trick is a more focused and better sounding album than the muddled Lamb.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 21:44
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

...Alien Afternoon,Not About Us,The Dividing Line,One Man's Fool are all very good with that traditional G sound.Ray Wilson did a decent vocal on this,and its a pity Banks and Rutherford didn't give the band one more album with Wilson on board.I actually now prefer CAS to We Can't Dance,which had some good tracks,but had plenty of filler too! Are they're any other supporters of CAS?...
I agree with you Thumbs Up. I did not like We Can't Dance at all Angry. So I was quite relieved with CAS. Only thing is, that really EVERY song is faded out...bah! But at least, I wished they'd tried another album with Ray Wilson. I also like, how Ray Wilson interpretes classic Genesis with band and small orchestra. I was at the concert and it was superb! E.g keyboard solos of Follow You, Follow Me played by violins sounded great!
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 01:26
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Me too. Smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 04:23
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Me too. Smile

I actually prefer metal band Disturbed's version..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 04:39
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Me too. Smile

YEAH. 100% AGREE. I listened and watched their video in my friend's place but I don't know anything about them. Can you give me some information about this metal band?Smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 04:43
OK, so it's probably too long, it's a shame that all the tracks end on a lazy fadeout and the promise of Spock's Beard's Nick D'Virgilio playing drums on a few tracks really didn't amount to much (if only because he wasn't given anything adventurous to play!), but `Calling All Stations' was always a rather decent album. There was a darker sound trying to creep back into much of the music, Ray Wilson had a huskier tone that was a nice break from the previous few poppier albums with Phil, and - the main reason I love it - Tony Banks' keyboards are front and center and plied over every bit of it. Definitely his best performance on a Genesis disc since...I don't know, `Duke' or `Abacab'?

It's depressing that in a lot of ways the band seems to dismiss it altogether now. Not fair to Wilson, who had the dismal task of trying to take on the HUGE personality, charisma and attention that Phil Collins brought to the band.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 05:10
I've only ever managed to sit through the whole thing once, and it's the only Genesis studio album I don't own so I guess that makes it my least favourite of theirs by default. It's probably more consistent than We Can't Dance, but WCD still seems to go by much quicker where CAS drags on. Also, being a more arty pop record than rock, it should have some kind of hit material, but nothing jumps out at me from it. The whole thing's mediocre to me, and at least WCD has "No Son Of Mine", "I Can't Dance", and my personal favourite "Jesus He Knows Me". I need to give it another listen in case I missed something big, but it's never gripped me. This isn't purely down to the fact that there was a change in personnel, as Tony and Mike aren't exactly on form and the chemistry between them is much more inferior to the earlier stuff. Almost taints the Genesis name, and should have been a separate side project, but it's better than nothing and it seems more of as a swan song than We Can't Dance would be.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 04:53
Had CAS in the "play" stack for about a week.....thought it was waaaay too long -can't process it all in one sitting; thought it lacked a Genesis soul - it didn't sound like them in parts but in others it sounded like outtakes from WCD; thought it a bit schizoid - they tried for hits and for a proggier feel with Wilson on board; thought the best Banks moments were the weakest on any of the Genesis records; still think it's not a total failure, but it's a sh*tty way to go out - not that WCD was a peak, but I feel it's far better than CAS.  
I agree with a lot of others in wishing they hadn't used the Genesis name.   
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 06:05

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Me too. Smile

YEAH. 100% AGREE. I listened and watched their video in my friend's place but I don't know anything about them. Can you give me some information about this metal band?Smile

To be honest I don't know much about them, apart from the fact that they're form Chicago and have put out about 9 albums. I only have Ten Thousand Fists, which is the album with Land of Confusion on it. I bought it some years ao after I heard that version on the radio. The rest of the album is ok. Good solid 'modern' heavy metal with not much in the way of lead guitar heroics. Good riffs though.

Most of their albums are up on TY I think. Have a listen..

Edited by Blacksword - August 16 2015 at 06:10
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 10:17
Thanks so much. You answer my question before I asked!! about the rest of the album.Thumbs Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 10:43
You're welcome!

TY = YT (Youtube) by the way. I'm sure you worked that out, but I'm the worlds worst typist!!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 11:08
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Genesis should have ended when PG left the band. Tongue

Nope, Gabriel's departure was a good uppercut, Hackett's departure was KO

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 13:52
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Genesis should have ended when PG left the band. Tongue

Nope, Gabriel's departure was a good uppercut, Hackett's departure was KO
True, but some albums during the Collins era weren't bad.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 16:26
Ray Wilson still plays some great live stuff of all Genesis era's. BTW CAS failed to sell for one major reason IMHO....it was released the same day Princess Diana and Dodi were tragically killed in Paris. I was in the UK at the time and a major portion of the populace entered about two weeks of mourning. Just bad luck if you wanted to release something on the 31st August 1997. I was lucky to seem them live in the October just before they pulled the touring gigs in the USA.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 17:46
Their worst album, no doubt.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12