Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Rush Songs 1984-1996

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 21:59
Thanks!

I really tried to like Test for Echo. In support of the Rush-ies, I even bought the CD. I made several attempts to give it a chance (like I did with The Phantom Menace). But, in the end, I had to face up to the fact that the Rush I knew and loved had morphed into something I no longer connected with.

My buddy who is a huge Rush fan loves Driven. The bass line is fairly catchy, but to me, it sounds almost like a bar song when the strummy guitar comes in. I much prefer the punchy futuristic sounds of Rush from the 1980s.

Subdivisions, The Weapon, Vital Signs, Distant Early Warning, The Big Money, etc. I do think the “The” is in the wrong place. It should just be Big Money and The Manhattan Project, but somebody at the label obviously didn’t understand proper article usage, and mixed it up … like when people annoyingly say The Twitter.

I also did a “what the?” at that Erotica Neurotica Psychotica mumbo jumbo from Roll the Bones … and that cringeworthy attempt at rap. Now I love Blondie’s rap …in Rapture … but Rush’s rap makes me squirm and my eye starts twitching like Johnny English and Mozambique.

Honestly, though. I have a hard time listening to most music that came out after 1989. I’m stuck in a time warp.

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 22:15
LOTS of underrated songs from the band's 80s and 90s eras, so making a top ten here isn't easy. But I'll try my best:

1. Lock and Key
2. Kid Gloves
3. Red Sector A
4. Available Light
5. Time Stand Still
6. The Big Money
7. Afterimage
8. Time and Motion
9. Dreamline
10. Marathon

In any case, I think post-MP Rush often gets too much hate from the prog community. In fact Grace Under Pressure is in my top 5 Rush albums in general (as well as Clockwork Angels) 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 22:17
I get post-Signals and pre-hiatus as fair cutoff points, but in my mind the natural divisions in Rush's catalogue occur every four albums: Rush to 2112, AFTK to MP, Signals to HYF, Presto to T4E, and then just three with VT to CA (unless you include the Feedback covers EP).

I say that not as a mark against this poll, but just to note that it's weird for me to think of all the songs from GuP to T4E together and to try to rank them. They really massively changed in these years. How do I compare Red Lenses with Driven? 

Well anyway, I'm not going to bother trying to rank too many of them. Here are 5 of my biggest favorites from these years, in no particular order:

Marathon
Red Sector A
Available Light
Double Agent
Time Stand Still

Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 14:54
1. Animate
2. Bravado
3. Red Sector A
4. Available Light
5. Driven
6. The Big Money
7. Nobody´s Hero
8. Dreamline
9. The Garden
10. Marathon

ProgLin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgLin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 02:13
1. Between the wheels
2. The Pass
3. Middletown Dreams
4. Available Light
5. Bravado
6. Emotion Detector
7. Red Sector A
8. Afterimage
9. Mystic Rhythms
10. Animate
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 05:38
Force Ten
Stick it Out
Afterimage
Red Sector A
Big Money
Manhattan Project
Prime Mover
The Pass
Animate
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 10:32
Between the wheels
Leave that thing alone
Animate
Distant Early Warning
Resist
Emotion Detector
Middletown Dreams
Marathon Man
Show Don’t Tell
Available Light
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 12:14
a lot of
my first post did not respect the 1984-1996 era so, my list vanished

Edited by mellotronwave - February 01 2022 at 12:52
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 12:19
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

a lot of , all from 2012 ( the LP not the year) on

The album is called "2112". Big smile
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 12:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

a lot of , all from 2012 ( the LP not the year) on

The album is called "2112". Big smile

right ;-)

Edited by mellotronwave - February 01 2022 at 12:47
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 15:28
I stopped listening to them after Grace Under Pressure (which I actually like). If that album falls in the right time period, then everything from that bloody album! What came next, Power Windows? That must have scared me.

Edited by Boojieboy - February 01 2022 at 15:34
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 15:51
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I stopped listening to them after Grace Under Pressure (which I actually like). If that album falls in the right time period, then everything from that bloody album! What came next, Power Windows? That must have scared me.

No second chances? Smile
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 16:18
No. They drifted too far away from why I enjoyed their music. First got into them with A Farewell to Kings, and saw them on tour then too. But by the mid-80s, the magic was gone (IMO). But many bands change, especially towards a more common / accessible format, so it's hard for many to resist.

Edited by Boojieboy - February 01 2022 at 16:19
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2023 at 04:52
1. Nobody's Hero
2. Between the Wheels
3. The Pass
4. Resist
5. Marathon
6. Mission
7. Bravado
8. Afterimage
9. Turn the Page
10. Emotion Detector
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123