Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome bands that could qualify:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some bands that could qualify:
    Posted: August 20 2005 at 13:04

_Stratovarius : A Progressive Metal band full of classical influences, virtuosity, and long songs. It sometimes sounds very symphonic.

_The Beatles : The first half of their career is pop, but the second half is extremely progressive in its time, and was one of the bands that helped Progressive Rock blossom.

_Deep Purple : Like Queen, it has a progressive early career. This band is more progressive though, thanks to the classical keyboard work of Jon Lord.

_Led Zeppelin : Not very progressive, except for its revolutionary hard rock sound. There are some progressive rock songs in it (no quarter, in the light, kashmir, Caruselambra, Dazed and Confused, How Many More Times, Achilles Last Stand, Rain Song, and some others). Besides, that band is brilliant!

_Al Dimeola : I do not know most of his later albums, but albums such as 'Elegant Gypsy' cannot be missed on a prog site.

Edited by Zitro
Syntharachnid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 20:03
Thank you for supporting the Beatles!  If I were to place them in a subgenre, it would probably be "Pre-Prog", but that's still prog.  The Beatles were a gigantic step in the evolution of prog rock because they popularized the idea of rock as an art form.  When they released Rubber Soul and Revolver, this was an idea being thrown around before them by such artists as Zappa, The Moodies, The Beach Boys (kind of...) etc.  But without Sgt. Pepper, the idea wouldn't have taken off nearly as well as it did.   
Wolf Spider View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 08:40
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

_Stratovarius : A Progressive Metal band full of classical influences, virtuosity, and long songs. It sometimes sounds very symphonic. Typical power metal, nothing special really but Tolkki is an awsome guitarist. I said it before I`ll said once more: power metal is not prog and bands like Angra or Rhapsody don`t quallify for the archives. Classical influences and symphonic, epical, pompatic moments are the trade mark of power metal!

_The Beatles : The first half of their career is pop, but the second half is extremely progressive in its time, and was one of the bands that helped Progressive Rock blossom. I`ll agree with this one

_Deep Purple : Like Queen, it has a progressive early career. This band is more progressive though, thanks to the classical keyboard work of Jon Lord. DP is a hard rock band. Probably the best but still a hard rock band. Not prog at all to me.

_Led Zeppelin : Not very progressive, except for its revolutionary hard rock sound. There are some progressive rock songs in it (no quarter, in the light, kashmir, Caruselambra, Dazed and Confused, How Many More Times, Achilles Last Stand, Rain Song, and some others). Besides, that band is brilliant! Same here this is a hard rock band!!

_Al Dimeola : I do not know most of his later albums, but albums such as 'Elegant Gypsy' cannot be missed on a prog site. I love DiMeola albums i saw him lately on a concert but never thought of him as a prog artist. To me he`s just a extraordinare jazz guitarist.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 08:42
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

_Stratovarius : A Progressive Metal band full of classical influences, virtuosity, and long songs. It sometimes sounds very symphonic.

Typical power metal, nothing special really but Tolkki is an awsome guitarist. I said it before I`ll said once more: power metal is not prog and bands like Angra or Rhapsody don`t quallify for the archives. Classical influences and symphonic, epical, pompatic moments are the trade mark of power metal!

There are differences, not all Power Metal bands are alike. Stratovarius is a good example of a non-progressive Power Metal band.

Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 09:00
Stratovarius is very typical power metal. Not to be included here.

And you say yourself that Led Zep is "not very progressive". So why are you suggesting their inclusion? Doesn't make sense.
Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 16:54
Stratovarius is prog, their orchestral and classical influences in their Power Metal justify that.  Just listen to the album Episode.

The Beatles will not be added to the Archives unless a pre-prog appreciation is added to the site.  They influenced prog but aren't prog.  It's like saying chocolate syrup is chocolate milk.

Deep Purple aren't prog just because of a concerto album and a keyboard player.  Nothing else about them is similar to prog at all.

Led Zeppelin will find it's fans categorizing them into everything.  They're so influential that you can tag them to most, but they're not prog, no matter how many tiny bits of prog similarities.

Al DiMeola should be added and I think will soon.
morpheusdraven View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 18:13
Originally posted by Syntharachnid Syntharachnid wrote:

...But without Sgt. Pepper, the idea wouldn't
have taken off nearly as well as it did.   

without Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, Sgt. Pepper would have never
made it itself...I think a lot of Pet Sounds is pre-prog at its best, brilliant
vocal harmonies, ambitious instrumentation and of course compositional
and studio perfection that didn't happen by accident. Brian Wilson is a
genius (and his solo SMiLE should be required listening by all prog fans)
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 18:18
Al DiMeola is fusion and should be added.
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
Mnemosyne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 12:36
Al DiMeola and Deep Purple can be added, the rest, don't think so.
I'm a Man-Owl-Fish.
Creator-Observer-Muse.
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 00:01

Stratovarius is Power Metal - I say that because I own 4 of their albums and they are not progressive metal in substance. The only track I think comes close to progressive metal is "Elements Pt One" - an awesome track which any progressive metal group would be proud to add to their catalogue. Unfortunately, Stratovarius does not do the prog metal thing consistently enough to warrant them being added to the archives.

As for the Beatles, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Al Dimeola - again lack of consistency in producing prog elements in their music IMO, excludes them from the archives.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Post Reply Post Reply