Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMartin Turner - for prog-related

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Turner - for prog-related
    Posted: November 19 2015 at 09:56
I hope I'm doing this right.

I would like to suggest adding Martin Turner (former bass player/ lead singer with Wishbone Ash) as an artist in his own right on Progarchives. This is for two reasons:

1. Ted Turner (also ex Wishbone Ash) is already on Progarchives as a solo artist
2. Martin Turner has released a number of albums in his own right, some of which have been included already in the Wishbone Ash discography on the site. These albums are described as being by Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash, which is a different band to the official WA so should therefore be listed separately. In addition, there are two solo albums by Martin Turner, and a live album attributed to "Martin Turner and Friends" which are not listed on the site.

My suggestion is that he should go under "prog-related" in the same way as his original band is listed.

Below is a brief biography, mostly sourced from his autobiography, plus links to YouTube clips and the three unlisted albums on Amazon.

BIOGRAPHY: Martin Robert Turner (born 1st October 1947, Torquay, England) is a bass guitarist and singer best known as a member of Wishbone Ash throughout the 1970s. He began his musical career in a number of local bands in Devon, the most prominent of which was THE EMPTY VESSELS. This band consisted of Martin Turner, his brother Glenn on guitar, and drummer Steve Upton. The band moved to London in 1969 where they met Miles Copeland III, who offered to manage them. However, Glenn Turner returned to Torquay, and in trying to replace him, Martin Turner and Steve Upton recruited two guitarists, Andy Powell and Ted Turner, and the new band was named WISHBONE ASH.

Turner was the frontman for Wishbone Ash until 1980, when he parted from the band following a disagreement over future direction. He then formed a band with other musicians including keyboard player Eryl Price-Davies, guitarist Stewart MacKenzie, and drummer Ray Weston. This band was named THE WOLFGANG, but they had little success and disbanded.

In 1987 Turner was asked to rejoin Wishbone Ash for a reunion of the original lineup. He stayed with them for three albums before being sacked from the band in 1991. Over the next decade he concentrated mainly on studio work, including remastering several of the classic Wishbone Ash albums for CD release. He also released a solo album, Walking The Reeperbahn, which included recordings made with The Wolfgang a decade earlier.

Martin Turner returned to live performance in 2005 when he put together a band to play the classic Wishbone Ash material. He named this band MARTIN TURNER'S WISHBONE ASH, to differentiate it from the official band which was still performing with Andy Powell at the helm. Three live albums (including a DVD) and a re-recording of the 1972 album Argus were released under this band name, but in 2013 Andy Powell brought a court case against Turner for breach of trademark, and as a result Turner had to remove the words "Wishbone Ash" from his band name and perform under his own name (with a reference to his past time with Wishbone Ash being allowed in the publicity). A subsequent live album, recorded before the court case but released afterwards, was credited to MARTIN TURNER AND FRIENDS, whilst his first album of original material since 1996, Written In The Stars, was released in 2015 as a solo album.

ALBUMS

Already listed under Wishbone Ash - I suggest these are moved to the Martin Turner Entry:

Studio album - Argus Through The Looking Glass 2008

Live albums - New Live Dates Vol 1 2006, New Live Dates Vol 2 2007, The Life Begins Tour 2011

DVD - The Life Begins Tour 2010

Albums not currently listed (Amazon links)

Walking The Reeperbahn 1996

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Reeperbahn-Martin-Turner/dp/B00000JAD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447947894&sr=8-1&keywords=walking+the+reeperbahn+martin+turner

The Garden Party - A Celebration Of Wishbone Ash Music 2014

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Party-Celebration-Wishbone-Music/dp/B00MW67L0M/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1447948053&sr=1-1&keywords=martin+turner+garden+party

Written In The Stars 2015

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Written-The-Stars-Martin-Turner/dp/B012B84RRA/ref=pd_sim_15_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=511axlNv0sL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=06BB9080FFYKDR11QSGM

YouTube Links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mzkFIUQWi8 (Low Toby by the Empty Vessels)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtR_QjhBEJI (For My Lady from Written In The Stars)

I am happy to submit reviews of the three unlisted albums if you add them to the site. I can also send some MP3 files if you tell me where to send them to. Also any other information you would like, please ask. The Written In the Stars album can be found on Spotify if you want to check out how progressive it is.

Alan Bloor

Edited by AlanB - November 19 2015 at 13:11
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 00:47
Alan B posted this up over a month ago with no responses from "The Teams".

Can this be looked at.

Martin Turner should be included in "prog-related". His fellow Wishbone Ash band member Ted (no relation) Turner is here on PA in "prog-related' and he is far less prog-related than Martin ever was. BTW, Martin's new album Written in The Stars is a cracker and very proggy throughout.

C'mon prog-related team...... get to it!!!
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 03:16
Thanks for the support Barry -I was wondering if this one would sink without trace.

By the way, one thing I missed off my original post - Martin Turners website is www.martinturnermusic.com

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 03:50
There isn't something like Prog-Related Team. Proto-Prog and Prog-Related "sub-genres" are in the admins' hands and you need to find an SC who will support your case and forward it to them. Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 04:28
Thanks Tuzvihar. How do I do that please?
 Post Reply Post Reply