Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:56
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Plat du Jour, s/t
Michel Madore, Le Komuso à cordes

Those are two good examples. Both great and I'm almost certain neither has ever seen a proper CD release.

Some news, a CD reissue of Plat du Jour is now out on the Paisley Press label.  I think that is probably a pirate operation, and it's probably a needle drop, but I've ordered it anyway. Will report further when I receive it.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 05:20
^  I now have the Paisley Press Plat du Jour CD.  As expected it's a needle drop, but it's been well done from an LP or LPs in good condition and the sound is perfectly respectable - certainly does not impair my listening enjoyment, and rocks hard through my main speakers. If surface noise bothers you though (it doesn't really bother me) it's not one to listen to on headphones.

The booklet is of the "single folded sheet" variety and reproduces the lyrics. I imagine it just duplicates the original gatefold.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 16 2016 at 05:21
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 06:25

^  I now have the Paisley Press Plat du Jour CD.  As expected it's a needle drop, but it's been well done from an LP or LPs in good condition and the sound is perfectly respectable - certainly does not impair my listening enjoyment, and rocks hard through my main speakers. If surface noise bothers you though (it doesn't really bother me) it's not one to listen to on headphones.

The booklet is of the "single folded sheet" variety and reproduces the lyrics. I imagine it just duplicates the original gatefold.

Actually, I get some pretty good results needle dropping some good-state vinyls onto CD-r.... I've got a couple Paisley Press and they do a fairly good job. I stopped condoning most bootlegs/pirates by now, compared to a decade ago, since most of what hasn't been reissued by now the industry will probably always find reasons not to do it. Soooo, I stopped feeling sorry for the frigCensoredging industry  (not that the artistes really received any kind of serious income from these 70's lost gems reissues anyways).

BTW: I always wondered how the industry did such horrible jobs with their first generation CDs reissies of vinyls  back in the 80's... OK, the technology has greatly improved between 85 and 00 (when the first hi-fi CD burners appeared, but it's still a wonder how they did such a botched-up job... and those EQ-ed loud war remasters didn't fare much better

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 06:41

Plat du Jour, s/t
Michel Madore, Le Komuso à cordes

To which I would add Maneige's Montreal 6AM, and to a much lesser extent their last (and poor) Images.

Plenty of worthy stuff from Quebec still unreleased... I think that ProgQuebec is more or less never going to release any old classic-era albums in CDs (they could lways be tempted with the vinyls), so I'd almost wish Pairley Press did a few of them (like Solstice's 2on1)

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

hmm I have Solar Music live on CD.  I wonder what I can get for it

A good sunburn if you hanfg on to it too long TongueLOL

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Eider Stellaire released three albums in the 80's, and only their debut was reissued on CD.
I'm so lucky to have tracked down their second album.

Apparently the next couple are not nearly as interesting either

And it's the same for Abus Dangereux... 4è Mouvement is the only one that received a CD reissue >> the rest have been featured in a couple of compilation.

One could also think of Octobre (the Qu band), whose classic albums (except one) have never seen areissue in CD other than in a double CD compilation

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 06:59
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Actually, I get some pretty good results needle dropping some good-state vinyls onto CD-r.... I've got a couple Paisley Press and they do a fairly good job. I stopped condoning most bootlegs/pirates by now, compared to a decade ago, since most of what hasn't been reissued by now the industry will probably always find reasons not to do it. Soooo, I stopped feeling sorry for the frigCensoredging industry  (not that the artistes really received any kind of serious income from these 70's lost gems reissues anyways).

BTW: I always wondered how the industry did such horrible jobs with their first generation CDs reissies of vinyls  back in the 80's... OK, the technology has greatly improved between 85 and 00 (when the first hi-fi CD burners appeared, but it's still a wonder how they did such a botched-up job... and those EQ-ed loud war remasters didn't fare much better

Yeah, I don't really like buying from pirates, but anything this obscure that's never had a legit reissue isn't getting one now. So if it's a choice between Paisley Press or paying a fancy price for second hand vinyl, which also doesn't benefit the artist, then Paisley Press it is.

I hear you about some of the official CD reissues that come out. Sound-wise I'd certainly rather have a well done needle drop than some of the messed up remasters I've bought. Amazing the bad-sounding releases even some of the big names have had.  Like a CD reissue of Relayer I had that I swear was worse than the second generation tape copy I had in the eighties...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 11:45
I've read that Shadowfax's Watercourse Way CD is a different edit than the original vinyl. I have a feeling though that someone here is going to correct me.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 11:48
I won't.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 13:03
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I've read that Shadowfax's Watercourse Way CD is a different edit than the original vinyl. I have a feeling though that someone here is going to correct me.

Couldn't prove it by me....I only have the cd these days.
 My vinyl went missing.      (That and now I can't find two classic Beefheart vinyls either.)
Unhappy
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 11:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Couldn't prove it by me....I only have the cd these days.
 My vinyl went missing.      (That and now I can't find two classic Beefheart vinyls either.)
Unhappy

I just picked up the CD for €10 and am waiting for it to arrive.  I looked into the question of the differences between the CD and the LP, and the most authoritative information I can find is from a thread on Progressive Ears by rcarlberg. I'm not sure it's allowed to post links so I'll quote here.

Originally posted by rcarlberg on Progressive Ears rcarlberg on Progressive Ears wrote:

I just pulled out my LP of Watercourse Way and found inside it an e-mail from Stu Nevitt dated August 1, 2000:

Hi! Mt name is Stu Nevitt. I wanted to thank everyone for remembering the band. I miss it & Chuck very much. As far as Watercourse Way re-issue goes, I thought I could answer some of these questions for you. It was re-mixed, more "subtractively" than anything else. After we got the original masters back & listened to them we learned how sloppy our playing had been. I was the biggest culprit. My kit was a big double bass drum set & my 2nd bass drum was AWFUL! We completely took that out when we re-mixed. The additional recording that was done were some parts & solos that had intonation problems. Unfortunately we weren't able to use the original artwork, by Terry Lamb (if I remember correctly). That was Windham Hill's decision. Concerning Will Ackerman having been a fan of Watercourse Way: he had never heard the band AT ALL when he signed us. A South African singer/songwriter friend of Chuck's & Phil's, Robit Hairman, played some of Alex DeGrassi's music for Chuck. Chuck put it on his 4 track recorder, added some lyricon, & Robit gave it to Alex. When Will heard the tapes he offered Chuck a solo deal on the spot. He loved the lyricon! Chuck presented a plan to reunite Shadowfax (we had broken up in 1978 & Chuck & Phil moved to LA... G.E. & I stayed in Chicago) & Will agreed, sound unheard. There were a few shifts in our sound over the years. The WW album was strongly influenced by Mahavishnu Orchestra & Oregon. For the 1st Windham Hill project we intentionally slanted it toward the acoustic side, so as not to alienate the label or its fans. We got progressively aggressive & louder up to the Folksongs album on Capitol. By that time though, a rift was developing between G.E. & Chuck. G.E. wanted to take things in a more vocal direction. We played a show at the Universal Amphitheatre in LA shortly after we signed with Capitol. We did quite a few vocal tunes & Capitol hated them. G.E. quit the band a while later. We did go back to a "safer" kind of Shadowfax music after that, but I always loved what we were doing. If anyone would like to get in touch please feel free. Thanks again!

Sadly, Stu passed away March 15, 2008 of complications from type 1 diabetes and heart disease, at only 56 years of age.

and:

Originally posted by rcarlberg on Progressive Ears rcarlberg on Progressive Ears wrote:

I've been comparing the original 1975 vinyl mix with the 1985 CD re-issue, going over the changes with a fine-toothed comb (because that's the kind of geek I am).

Changes in remix for Lost Lake Arts re-issue:

Track 1: The Shape of a Word
00:00 count-in removed
00:00-00:34 dual guitars mixed to mono
00:31-00:40 panning of cymbal eliminated
01:03-01:27 doubling of electric piano by synth is removed
01:40-01:57 panning of 2nd synth line eliminated
02:01-07:05 piano mixed much higher, panning eliminated
04:39 gong hit re-recorded
06:30-07:05 synth mixed way back
07:10-07:19 bell tree removed

Track 2: Linear Dance
Track is slowed down a semitone, bass guitar mixed much higher
00:00-00:25 dual guitar tracks mixed to mono, synth line is doubled and mixed to wings
00:25-01:04 guitar track re-recorded, 2nd guitar removed (R-channel), synthesizer removed
05:16-05:35 bassoon & strings at end removed, seque to next track removed

Track 3: Petite Aubade
Instrumental balance substantially altered throughout
03:19-05:50 harpsichord removed
03:20-05:58 recorders mixed much higher

Track 4: Book of Hours
00:00-01:08 bell tree added
01:37-01:55 synth removed, crunchy guitar mixed higher
02:05-03:12 electric piano removed
03:19-06:32 soprano sax removed
05:40-06:29 second doubling guitar track removed

Track 5: The Watercourse Way
Track is slowed down a semitone
00:05-02:45 piano removed
00:06-02:45 doubling of acoustic guitar removed
00:17-05:44 soprano sax re-recorded with Lyricon

Track 6: A Song For My Brother
09:44 fades out 14 seconds earlier

So largely quite minor changes.  I think there are some misleading statements out there about the differences because some people confuse the remixed CD with the fact that on their second Wyndham Hill release, Shadowdance, they recorded completely new versions of The Watercourse Way and Song For My Brother. These are apparently much more "New Age" / blander than either the original or remixed versions on the Watercourse Way album.

Just to complete the slightly confusing picture, the original LP mix of Waterourse Way was also made available on a pirate CD from "Tachika".

Edited by Mascodagama - May 13 2016 at 11:38
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 11:41
I'd love to see this on CD:

The LP isn't even on Discogs, so I imagine it is too obscure to ever see a reissue.

NB "George" Hirota is better known as Joji Hirota.  I think this may have been his only record as George.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 13 2016 at 11:44
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 12:15
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 12:26
Oktober - Uhrsprung (1976) was not released on CD, as far as I know, but it is a great album.

Edited by Formentera Lady - May 14 2016 at 12:39
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 15:45

Audio gimmickery aside how do you feel about the album? I love it to pieces! Sorta like this whiteboy avant take on Stevie Wonder with small flourishes of zeuhl, fusion and punk energy. Love at first listen.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 16:42
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Audio gimmickery aside how do you feel about the album? I love it to pieces! Sorta like this whiteboy avant take on Stevie Wonder with small flourishes of zeuhl, fusion and punk energy. Love at first listen.

I also love it - quite a unique sound they got on this album!  I'd heard it on Youtube through laptop speakers, but it sounds fantastic blasting on my proper rig.  Really tight band that sounds a bit like Defunkt jamming with Weidorje (after they all went to a Clash gig and took a noseful in the toilets).

Come to think of it I believe it was your review of this album that got me interested in the first place, so thanks for that David Thumbs Up

Edited by Mascodagama - May 14 2016 at 16:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234