Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [ClassicVinyl] Need to know which pressing this is
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed[ClassicVinyl] Need to know which pressing this is

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: [ClassicVinyl] Need to know which pressing this is
    Posted: January 06 2016 at 19:46
So I found a pressing of Days of Future Passed by The Moody Blues today at the local used books store for $7.99us. The vinyl seems to be in near-flawless condition but I would like to know which pressing this is. Of course it's not the original UK pressing that's far superior to the US pressings, but I'd like to know if it's a pressing of the original mix or if it's the remix that was later released. I know that only the remixed version was used for the CD and cassette releases, so I was wondering if this is a good find for my novice level vinyl collection.

Click here for full resolution image

Edited by EloyFan - January 07 2016 at 00:03
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 20:00
That looks to be this particular 1967 American pressing:

As a pre-1978 pressing it is the original mix version.
EloyFan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 00:22
Thanks for the info. I listened to the entire thing tonight. It sounded great and had no skips or scratches at all. I'm quite surprised it aged so well, especially since the best of A Question of Balance I could find still had some skips and scratches. :(
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 09:02
Nice copy for $8.00.....they are usually in worse shape used.
Thumbs Up

Mine is too worn out to play so I play the cd version.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 14:58
Yes, this is the US issued version under the London label. Deram was part of UK Decca Records. Deram was actually a name given to a newer recording process that Decca experimented with to get away from that early 60's hard left, hard right recordings like from the boy band Beatles Dead used to do.
Deram was using 2 4-track recorders to get 8 tracks to create more space within the instruments, these Deram recordings are very good....This MB album is one of the first "pop" rock albums to use this in 1967.

I have the same one, yours looks in VG+ condition for $8.00 is excellent find!
EloyFan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 01:18
So, I was on a facebook group and found a person that had a similar pressing that is different from mine. The other DES-18012 pressing has a red label with no LONDON logo on the record, whereas mine has the white & orange label with the LONDON logo. There's also several things different with the two covers. These are the fact that my cover doesn't have a barcode and that the backside of my cover seems to be a misprint which includes the DE-16012 catalog number, so the manufacturers just glued a corrected paper sheet over it (you can see it faintly). Does this add value or not, even with the Permanent Marker that's on the front (the D)? One more thing is that on mine it does say "Stereo DES-18012" on the top-left side of the front while the other one doesn't. There's a lot of things that say that mine pre-dates the other (especially the barcode), but there are some inconsistencies that need to be cleared up before I'm sure.

Mine:
http://i.imgur.com/1vQQw73.jpg

There's:
http://i.imgur.com/5C4dIZS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eVsVg1N.jpg

Edited by EloyFan - January 17 2016 at 09:25
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 15:08
You can look at all the versions on discogs that have been entered, find the one that matches yours with deadwax info and all. You might find a notation about the sticker.......
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 15:20

Hi,

Never had a chance to check this one out, as the version I had was the American one, and not the original English one.

At the time, many of the American releases were bad copies of the English pressing, and this was the case for Rolling Stones, Beatles and the like, where you can buy Sgt Peppers, or Majesty's Request and the English version is superior in quality, and this goes, almost all the way to DSOTM with PF, where the English pressing was superior to the American copy.

Later, when the "remastered" this and that came out ... guess what? ... they were the same pressing as the English originals. Nothing new in them!

Either way, it was a massively great album!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply