Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Moving Mazes(CH)->Psyched/SR, Crossover, Eclectic?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMoving Mazes(CH)->Psyched/SR, Crossover, Eclectic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving Mazes(CH)->Psyched/SR, Crossover, Eclectic?
    Posted: January 24 2016 at 01:30
Moving Mazes - for "Psychedelic/Space Rock", "Crossover Prog", "Eclectic Prog", "Symphonic Prog", "Canterbury Scene", "Progressive Electronic"
Well, I leave it to you to decide...

The band has made one digital album so far, called "Moving Mazes 1st - A new concept". It is available on the BandCamp site http://www.movingmazes.band 

personally did all the work to produce these songs. 

I have enough composed songs/material for at least 14 more virtual CD project.
In fact I've randomly chosen which songs will be on each of these 14 CD to come, from the hundreds of songs at disposal. Random choice was also used for this 1st one. 
So the quality (or the lack thereof) will more or less remain consistent throughout the whole project.
(There is still a little bit of polishing and "not so good songs" elimination work to do for the 14 to come.)

Complex time signatures are used on at least one song of this 1st virtual CD, but not much more than that. This is the result of the random choice. This is going to change with the next CDs, as at least about 50 - 100 songs or more do have (very) complex and changing time signatures.

I did the Moving Mazes Music mainly on keyboards. 

Some hand-made synthesizers sounds are unique in this music. They help to achieve kind of a distinctive sound.

There are some freely (zero dollar) downloadable songs on my site. Other are for sale. But you can hear them once or twice freely. This will help you to make up your mind. And to better categorize this music and decide if it can be accepted on the Prog Archives site. Every week or two, I will upload one additional song, until it reaches at least 15-20 songs (already ready). In case Prog Archives is interested to obtain one or two of these songs in advance please contact [email protected]. Same for web prog-rock radios, if they are interested in (temporary) exclusive content.

Bio:

Born 1954, I studied music theory, violin, piano in the classical music conservatory of Geneva where I still live. I obtained a 1st prize in music theory. I also play bass and guitar, but not very often, and not on this 1st album. (Although the first ideas for the first song of that album was found on guitar. But the guitar was afterwards recreated on keyboards) That song, that I consider the best on that album, was therefore named "At least some kind of guitar". It might be the last I will upload on my Site. Except if you ask me to change my mind about that.

I work in a bank, were I do functional testing in the IT department.

Moving Mazes, the concept :

The idea of the name "Moving Mazes" came from some reflections about living in a physical world, in which we learn by trial and error, hurting ourselves by hitting walls we do not see at first. 
Life has become so complex, that it is like being in a moving maze, where the walls in fact do move. There are so many dimensions available for examination in the external reality, i.e. so many possible points of view, that the concept of a moving maze may well describe what human life is and how it feels being one, at least at times. 

The name also implies a kind of game aspect as well, as reality can be explored, a better image of it can be made, and a better use and understanding of what life really is can bring achievements

I, Jean-David Roth, have several other projects... :

1. Reduce unnecessary suffering on the planet.
  2. Film scenario writing
  3. Game programming, Virtual reality, NVC (NonViolent Communication)...
  4. Film music writing
  5. Software writing

... to name a few.

Miscellaneous :

I will assemble a real band with other musicians if my music finds an audience, then perform concerts. Tell me if you think it should be done, and be part of that audience if you like it.

I twice performed live under the name "Eyes in Eyes". I also played with other bands when I was aged from 17 to 27, but too much work was put into these bands that regularly split at the time they finally were ready to make concerts, sometimes just performing one gig in the better cases.

My main influences are Genesis, Caravan, Gentle Giant, Jean-Luc Ponty, Kit Watkins, Robert Wyatt, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, and many many others (Recently Opeth and Riverside).

Jean-David Roth, Geneva, Switzerland

The music is at  http://www.movingmazes.band 

Edited by MovingMazes - March 28 2016 at 05:42
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 03:48
Hi there:)
Sorry for the late reply. I just had a quick listen to your album and it reminded me of the soundtrack to Cocktail. I'm not sure it fits in here on PA, but I will pass your suggestion onto the PSIKE team :)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
MovingMazes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 14:17
Hello Guldbamsen, 
Thank you to have listened to my music. I had a try on the Cocktail soundtrack, but apart from the very beginning, I was a bit surprised. But thanks again.Smile

Edited by MovingMazes - March 18 2016 at 14:35
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 14:29
Hello everybody,
If someone would like to comment on my music I would be glad to hear constructive criticism, and to know if you think it can be considered progressive music or not in your opinion. 

LOLSmileSleepyCrySleepySmileLOL

Edited by MovingMazes - March 18 2016 at 14:37
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 22:57
Hi Jean-David, I think Crossover is the only place that could fit your work here on PA, I've let brought it to them.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 20:32
I just wanted to tell you that I've uploaded several more songs since my first demand.
I just uploaded 5 more today and there are now 20 songs available that can be listened to at http://www.movingmazes.band

You  may nevertheless prefer to wait until all 24 songs will be available.
I will make the 4 lasts songs available to the general public on the final launch day of this first album.

If someone knows about a prog rock magazine or online radio that might be interested to do the launch with me thanks for letting me know.
I may lower the prices for the launch period, and or make the 4 remaining songs available in exclusivity for a radio for some time, just before the launch day.

No hurry to tell me I'm not good enough... :) But if you think I might deserve to be part of the famous progArchive, I would be very glad to finally enter it after my 40 years devoted to music (part-time)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 23:28
Hi again Jean-David

Just one thing: It is never a question of whether PA likes the music being suggested to it's database, but entirely a matter of ' is this progressive ROCK?' If it isn't then it does not belong on the website regardless of how people feel about it.
I must admit that I do not hear any prog rock in your music, but then again I listen to a lot of music that isn't featured here on PA. PA is not a sign of quality or similarly a 'badge of honour'.
Good luck
David
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 00:03
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 05:51
Thanks a lot, DamoXt7942. I'm very proud to be here. Did not knew I was already. Smile
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 06:31
Please let us know upon Official 'review our music' forum if you want to get some reviews.

This thread has finished the role so it's been closed. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply