Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 13:34
I like Krapp (well, in moderation).

https://soundcloud.com/krappattak

Actually, I think I might ask, "Are you ready for pain? Are you ready for sufffering? If the answer is Yes, then you're ready for Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans"

Edited by Logan - February 02 2016 at 13:45
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 13:58
LOL
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 16:42
I definitely agree that specific sections of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway would be awesome for someone transitioning from traditional rock, especially from that era.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 17:21
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I definitely agree that specific sections of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway would be awesome for someone transitioning from traditional rock, especially from that era.

I could believe that, hearing Hairless Heart in a seedy musical theatre pre-internet days and my subsequent search to find out what it was played the biggest role in me really delving into Prog, and, unfortunately, eventually leading me to the hellish pits of PA.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 19:13
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

It was for fun, but sadly, anyone asking something like that, I imagine is looking for more songs that sound the same as what they already have, and that, is not progressive in own right. Thus, I tried to have some fun, hoping to open up the ideas a bit. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not.

But, for anyone to enjoy progressive, long or short has nothing to do with it ... the music does, so when one automatically separates the music by what it is ... instead of what you want ... the concept of "progressive" is now dead ... and I prefer not to make suggestions. Music is "never" what we want ... music, lke any art, is one person/one group's expression, and you either appreciate it or you don't ... so these kinds of thoughts are scary for me as a 50 year listener of music ... all kinds of music!

Fair enough. Still, many people can explore and get into something something step by step, starting from where they are, and it is a process and needs time. Starting with the most adventurous thing may put them off all too early.

Then there are some who listen to something completely different from what they like and think it's a revelation. It can work, but it's for small minorities, I think.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 00:08
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

What would you play for someone who likes the following artists:
The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Bach, Dire Straits, David Bowie. Likes melodic but not too slow (boring).
Any recommendations?
Supertramp and Gabriel seem like a good start, but not really full-on prog. But you may even be able go far as Caravan, Tull, or Hatfield & The North. If he likes Bach and short songs, maybe even Gentle Giant?
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 00:26
Gates Of Delirium
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 09:08
I have sometimes said in the past, "Imagine a band that makes album after album full of Bohemian Rhapsodies". I know that the BR is not a "pure" prog song, and citing it as an example of prog is somewhat misleading, but IMHO it shows many of the qualities of prog, and everybody knows it and finds it cool, even many people who aren't much into prog.

But the best example of prog is, as many people here have already said, Close to the Edge. When I am asked what prog is, I usually say something like "A genre of more sophisticated rock music, for example Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush, Marillion, Dream Theater or Spock's Beard".

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 09:17
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Funny you should mention Faust. When I first discovered the album, only prog I had in my repertoire were PF and a little bit of late Genesis. But it completely changed everything I thought about in music (I was twelve at the time). I credit their first album as being my real introduction to music, despite being (still) one of the weirdest things I have ever heard.

And this is the part that is scary in a question like this one ... I feel like saying ... are you looking for music? Or just another song?

And sometimes, breaking the pattern and having fun with it, is the best answer, and while I was being out in left field having fun and a laugh, in the end, it's not really that far out of a suggestion ... it's an honest chance at learning something about music, that top ten, and stuff that is copy-copy, can not provide at all!

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Fair enough. Still, many people can explore and get into something something step by step, starting from where they are, and it is a process and needs time. Starting with the most adventurous thing may put them off all too early.

Then there are some who listen to something completely different from what they like and think it's a revelation. It can work, but it's for small minorities, I think.

After my introduction to Tangerine Dream (Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares), there was no longer any need for me to be babysat with new music. My ears were busted up good! So, if it puts them out, the likelihood is that they weren't into music anyway, since if you were into music, you would always find something of value that would pique your interest.

Music is not about intimidation ... it's about finding the beauty in between all those notes ... and if you can find it between 5 notes, but not in between the "other" 5 notes ... then you're not into music ... you're into your own choice of songs.

With all due respect, I would consider most of the folks here well rounded music lovers. And not exactly fat, either!

Edited by moshkito - February 03 2016 at 09:22
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 10:42
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Gates Of Delirium

My kind of guy LOL
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 12:10

Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Gates Of Delirium

My kind of guy LOL

Probably the most brilliant prog song ever but  not sure I'd play it for someone who was unfamiliar with the genre. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 14:56
I would play them Soup by The Can.......Scare them the frick away so they leave my rekkid store alone...no prog for you!! Don't touch my rekkid store.......

LOL
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 14:57
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

I have sometimes said in the past, "Imagine a band that makes album after album full of Bohemian Rhapsodies".

Never thought of that one, that's just the best way of making someone curious about prog! Thanks! Thumbs Up
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 10:23
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

I have sometimes said in the past, "Imagine a band that makes album after album full of Bohemian Rhapsodies".

That is exactly the song I use to try and explain Prog Rock to people who are unfamiliar. 

I tell them that the songs aren't straight-forward the whole way through... 
and that the songs usually consist of different parts, and those parts 
might be influenced by different genres such as pop, hard rock, classical, folk, and jazz. 

Besides "Bohemian Rhapsody", some other reasonable mainstream examples to throw 
at them are "Roundabout",  "Carry On Wayward Son", and "The Ballad of Billy the Kid". 

Edited by altaeria - February 05 2016 at 10:24
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 10:39

Unfortunately, I find this unfair to any piece of music. We don't go around taking one slice of Beethoven's 9th and say that it is prog, and the rest is proto. We don't do that to The Barber of Seville (or London!) at all ... and doing this to any piece of music is demeaning for my view ... why would an artist, create something ... just so you could think that the left side of the canvas is crap and the right side is great? Every artist will tell you to stick it on that account.

You either respect the whole piece as a representation of this or that, or you don't ... but tearing it apart ... here, let me give you a clue ... shall I tear up Guernica and give you a small square? You think you will know what that little square is all about in the big picture?

Why do we disrespect our own generations amount of work and art? I just find this so scary ... that we look at it with commerciality in mind, not art! And kill it any chance we get!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 10:05
Cogs In Cogs
Karn Evil 9 (First Impression, Part Two)
And You And I
Songs From The Wood

If that doesn't work then there's no hope.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 10:56
"Prog is a journey of a 1000 flavors, and it begins with a number of steps. It's either your thing or it isn't."
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

an acquired taste
Very succinct.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 06 2016 at 11:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123