Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoctor Who - Favorite Doctor

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which doctor is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [8.00%]
1 [4.00%]
4 [16.00%]
8 [32.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [20.00%]
3 [12.00%]
1 [4.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doctor Who - Favorite Doctor
    Posted: March 24 2016 at 08:18
Vote for your favorite doctor.

I discovered the show with Matt Smith, so I'll vote for him.

Edited by Modrigue - March 24 2016 at 08:19
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 09:52
Watched from mid-Tom Baker and followed Peter Davison, but went off the show around Colin Baker's time. (An error on my part as re-watching his stories, he was quite good!)
But I voted for Sylvester McCoy. I turned down a date in school so I could watch his first episode.
And his first series aside, McCoy was a great Doctor. 
Of course, if the BBC weren't try to kill the show off to fund disasters like the soap opera "Eldorado" there's a chance it would have been killed off a few years later.
But through no fault of McCoy!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:35
Watched them all over the years,,,,my wife's favorite is either Baker or Tennant.....I like Baker, Tennant, and Smith....voted for Tennant, but Baker will always be the one who brought Doctor who forward imo.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 11:12
Of the new ones, David Tennant but I have to vote for my favourite from my younger day - Patrick Troughton. I loved the episodes with the Yetis in the Tube tunnels.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 14:09
Tom Baker, he is THE doctor.

Edited by Pastmaster - March 24 2016 at 14:09
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 15:55
I'm too young to know any of the older guys, though I suspect I'd like a good number of them (esp Baker).

Of the new ones...i'm torn between Tennant and Smith. I love both and they seem to be cut from the same cloth. Since Smith is down, I'll vote for him. But really either will do.

I also wish McGann was given a chance to play the doctor more. His brief portrayal in The Night Of The Doctor was very enjoyable.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 18:04
Tom Baker

EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 18:25
Tom Baker
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 18:50
I decided to vote for Peter Capaldi as I think he is easily the best of the 'darker' incarnations of The Doctor.
My earliest memory of Doctor Who was from Planet of the Spiders.

Since the reboot I have liked all of the Doctors, although my least favourite of the four is David Tennent

I enjoy watching all of the Doctors and when I was asked recently who is my least favourite I reluctantly had to select Colin Baker, but that was due to  things going wrong behind the scenes with Eric Saward being at loggerheads with both Colin and JNT.

It is a great shame that Peter Davison didn't do a fourth season as he and Nicola Bryant worked so well togethert.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 20:24
Its a toss up to me of Tom Baker and David Tennent.  Gave it to Tennent to tie it up a 5 between the two of them.
caretaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 20:37
I think they all did a great job. Everybody that saw him loves Tom Baker. Tennant and Smith were good as is Capaldi. But no love love for Eccleston?
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 20:51
Again, this only one, black and white model is counterproductive for my favouritism of the grey/gray areas.
But for after dinner discussion of the salon variety, I voted for Pertwee, for his shadings.  And his companion Jo was my favourite tingle Tongue.  I like Capaldi and had hopes for his interpretation, but feel he is regularly betrayed by the direction the writer/producer has consistently taken.  The Soul and Magick is missing for me even though I stay with it.

cheers!
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 21:13
I liked Ecclstone's Doctor.
He took no nonsense.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 23:00
Originally posted by caretaker caretaker wrote:

I think they all did a great job. Everybody that saw him loves Tom Baker. Tennant and Smith were good as is Capaldi. But no love love for Eccleston?

I enjoyed Eccleston but sadly he wasn't there long enough to really develop the character...another season would have showed us what he might have been able to do.
Haquin
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 06:44
Didn't yet get to see Tom Baker through Sylvester McCoy. From the remaining, Hartnell reigns supreme, followed by McGann and Capaldi.
Bigger on the inside.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 15:36
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Again, this only one, black and white model is counterproductive for my favouritism of the grey/gray areas. But for after dinner discussion of the salon variety, I voted for Pertwee, for his shadings.  And his companion Jo was my favourite tingle Tongue.  I like Capaldi and had hopes for his interpretation, but feel he is regularly betrayed by the direction the writer/producer has consistently taken.  The Soul and Magick is missing for me even though I stay with it. cheers!

Traditionally I would say Jon Pertwee, but he was also the first one I was exposed to. I love his Doctor (not so much his Venusian Aikido). Just re-watched Inferno.

I agree with Capaldi, I think it's mostly the writing that has let him down. Most agree that he is a great actor, but the scripts have not been that great on the whole. One thing I haven't liked with him is that there has not been sufficient story-arc (I like serials). That said, I think Heaven Sent is my favourite of any Doctor Who episode (it doesn't make enough sense to some, but I can make sense of it). It's so dark, and I had long wanted for him to do more of a solo performance in Doctor Who (lose companions and focus on him).

-----------------------------------------------------------

I haven't watched many of the episodes of the first two doctors. I don't have a problem with black and white as I have loved the original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits shows since I was a kid (and many other black and white shows). One of these days I will watch more of their eras.

Tom Baker was excellent, even if I prefer the Pertwee years. I did think it started to go down hill, got a bit too silly, later on in his tenure.

I never fully warmed up to Peter Davison (who is David Tennant's father-in-law). I liked him. That said I have seen and enjoyed all of his episodes, some much more than others. Liked him a lot in All Creatures Great and Small and his Five(ish) Doctors Reboot for the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who I absolutely loved.

I'm a fan of Colin Baker's tenure, though the writing was really spotty. I did not rally like Perry with her fake American accent and not even her "not fake" chest accents. Sorry, if that sounds sexist, but they really did seem to want to show them off in the show. I wish they hadn't dressed him like a clown and probably made him too abrasive at the outset (plan was to have the audience grow to like him, but since he failed to strangle Perry... I won't go there).   Loved Revelation of the Daleks.

Sylvester McCoy just rather irritated me with the rolling Rs, and had some real stinkers.

Paul McGann: I used to frequent sci-fi forums before I joined this site and hadn't considered him cannon back then, but no he is now. I liked his mini-epsiode the Night of the Doctor, but I could not make it through his Doctor Who made-for-TV movie, which was hoped to spur on anew Doctor Who show. I found it terrible. And I was a fan of other work he had done.

Christopher Eccleston: He was good. I didn't like the new Doctor Who at first much with Rose (despite also liking him as an actor beforehand), but quickly became a fan and was very sad to see him go.

David Tenannt I loved at the time, and he is my wife's favourite Doctor. I was extremely sad to see him go "I don't want to go", and he had great episodes but I found his character a bit limited and now seems kind of dated. Many of my still favourite episodes were during his time, though.

Matt Smith: I think he was brilliant and a year ago I would have said that he was definitely my favourite of the new Doctors. He is my daughter's favourite.      
Again, was so sad to see him go. His series six in 201l is for me the strongest year for new Who.

Anyway, i have seen all of the episodes aside from much of the two seasons, and of course the made-for-tv movie, its not easy to vote even if I lean towards Pertwee. I just hope the next series can come close to Heaven Sent in terms of my appreciation, but I don't expect it to.   Very sad that Doctor Who is on hiatus.

When the new show runner makes episodes, it will be interesting to see how it goes. I don;t have very high hopes considering the episodes that he has written for Doctor Who.

What an embarrassing fanboy I am, my post is far longer than all of the other responses combined, and yet I still haven't managed to convey anything of any value even to myself.

EDIT: Just wanted to add this (love the Dead Ringers/ Jon Culshaw spoofs of Doctor Who:

Edited by Logan - April 01 2016 at 15:46
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 17:17
I wish the show would return over here...it's been on hiatus a long time.

Unhappy
Haquin
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 18:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Traditionally I would say Jon Pertwee, but he was also the first one I was exposed to. I love his Doctor (not so much his Venusian Aikido). Just re-watched Inferno.

I agree with Capaldi, I think it's mostly the writing that has let him down. Most agree that he is a great actor, but the scripts have not been that great on the whole. One thing I haven't liked with him is that there has not been sufficient story-arc (I like serials). That said, I think Heaven Sent is my favourite of any Doctor Who episode (it doesn't make enough sense to some, but I can make sense of it). It's so dark, and I had long wanted for him to do more of a solo performance in Doctor Who (lose companions and focus on him).

thank you Logan for your personal overview of all the Doctors, classic and next wave.  every actor, producer, writer and creative team bring his, hers or their personal interpretation to the mythos.  highlights and lowlights abound, but each series has its moments of magick. 

don't feel bad of the length of your post.  your thesis is highly appreciated.

cheers...

Edited by Guy Guden - April 01 2016 at 18:30
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 23:10
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

thank you Logan for your personal overview of all the Doctors, classic and next wave.  every actor, producer, writer and creative team bring his, hers or their personal interpretation to the mythos.  highlights and lowlights abound, but each series has its moments of magick.  don't feel bad of the length of your post.  your thesis is highly appreciated. Cheers...

Thanks, Guy.

True, and I'm glad there's such variation -- each team bringing their own vision has helped to keep it fresher, or possibly stinkier at times, but less stale overall. Not many shows have lasted this long, even if you include the long break between McCoy and Eccleston (sorry, for omitting McGann there, but he never had a series...).

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I wish the show would return over here...it's been on hiatus a long time Unhappy

Shame Syfy stopped carrying it. Was lucky In Canada that our sci-fi channel "Space" stuck with it. I guess BBC America was showing it, so SiFy lost the rights. I used to watch the show on the BBC iPlayer so as to get it faster. I have Netflix Canada and it has all the new series except the last, think Netflix US might have already dropped the show (BBC is planning a new streaming service). Anyway, dailymotion has carried lots of Doctor Who if you are not adverse to watching through your computer or a tablet or if you have a SmartTV or some such thing, and have broadband. I subscribe to cable, but watch cable shows less and less (other than the news).
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 13:03
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Tom Baker, he is THE doctor.

Never was able to watch any other.
 Post Reply Post Reply