Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush - Caress of Steel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 08:36
Originally posted by Sardonite Calamity Sardonite Calamity wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I like Caress better than 2112 Approve

2112 never clicked with me the way it did with most Rush fans

Interesting... I just love the story 2112 (the song) tells.

I certainly don't dislike the album but I hardly listen to it anymore. Caress, Kings, and Hemispheres all really resonate with me. 2112 not so much. Not sure why
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 15:51
Don't really listen to the first 2 or 3 Rush......just listen to Kings, Permanent Waves and Moving Pics.....sometimes play Hemis....or Signals.
I have always had mixed feelings about Rush and their albums. Love the musicianship ....but many of the songs and Geddy's vocals sometimes leave me cold.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 13:56
This is really an underrated Rush album, never understood why. Lifeson's guitar work on this album is one of the best in the whole Rush career. My favorite track is The Necromancer, which I prefer over any Moving Pictures track. Esp. part III of this epic song is outstanding. 
Maybe the underestimation of this album is a reason why Alex Lifeson is the underrated Rush member compared to Geddy or Neil, who are so praised. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 14:49
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Maybe the underestimation of this album is a reason why Alex Lifeson is the underrated Rush member compared to Geddy or Neil, who are so praised. 

Wow I can't relate to this at all.  To me, Lifeson is the most impressive member of Rush in terms of what he does with his instrument.  The other two are great also but Alex is the reason I listen to Rush, bar none. 
No tricky drum fill or brilliant bass line tops an extraordinary guitarist. 

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:00
I liked Fly By Night better but much to enjoy here too. The Fountain of Lamneth doesn't flow too well at times but has some great parts. Without this 2112, Kings and Hemispheres wouldn't have happened which is Rush at their peak for me. 

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 19:13
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Wow I can't relate to this at all.  To me, Lifeson is the most impressive member of Rush in terms of what he does with his instrument.  The other two are great also but Alex is the reason I listen to Rush, bar none. 
No tricky drum fill or brilliant bass line tops an extraordinary guitarist. 

Back in the 80s, it was always Neil and Geddy who seemed to get the props for their proficiency. Alex always got the shaft when compared to other guitarists. I remember this quite clearly. 

Edited by Jeffro - September 27 2016 at 12:38
Sardonite Calamity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 20:37

Maybe the underestimation of [Caress of Steel] is a reason why Alex Lifeson is the underrated Rush member compared to Geddy or Neil, who are so praised. 

No, it's because of this: there are a lot of guitarists out there. Drums are expensive, and bass is boring (I don't personally think that, I'm a bassist myself, not because I was a bad guitarist). Everybody wants to play the guitar because it is the centre of attention, it sounds awesome, you do all the riffs and you get all the girls (big reason).

Alex is up against some tough competition; he has Jimi Hendrix, Les Paul, Slash, John Pettruci, Van Halen and other guys that have all made a name for themselves, and everybody focuses on the guitarist. In comparison, what very famous Bassists are there? (In rock). We have Flea, Les Claypool, John Deacon, JPJ. Not much else.

I don't deny Geddy's skill, he's remarquable and much better than any of these bassists I mentionned. (The only other bassist I would put in the same class as Ged would be John Myung.)

Finally, Alex just has a lot of competition and a lot of expectations. He is truly fantastic, but he has a history of guitarists who have all made a name for themselves.

Side note: Caress of Steel is one of my top 4 favourite albums from rush (along with Farewell to kings, Counterparts and Hemispheres.)

Edited by Sardonite Calamity - September 24 2016 at 20:40
I used to have a really good signature but I forgot it...
ster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 22:44
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The production lets the album down for some I guess. Even rockers like Bastille Day sound a little muted and muffled. Imagine that song with the same production as Anthem off FBN. It would - as they say - 'kick ass' a lot harder than it does. However that blurry production does suit Necromancer and FOL very well IMO. It lends those songs a very strange and unique atmosphere.

I agree that the production is off on COS. They were probably keen on taking the edge off and going more prog sounding. The rockers on the album suffered from it. I have read all of the Rush books and Terry Brown is very critical of his production on this record.
I heard a Rush tribute band do “I Think I’m Going Bald” and it was incredible. The album version needs more bite. But after listening to COS for years and years I kind of wouldn’t want to change a thing at this point. It has a certain feel and mood that I really dig now. 
Rush were trying to go into a new direction after doing hard rock for quite a while going back to their early days. COS is a little clumsy and goofy in some spots and it didn’t age particularly well but ended up being one of those necessary transitional albums that took them from “Zeppelin clones” to what they became from 2112 on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12