Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKenji Ito for Neo Prog, or Progressive Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kenji Ito for Neo Prog, or Progressive Metal
    Posted: May 15 2016 at 15:23
While I am happy to see artists like Motoi Sakuraba, I was very saddened to see no Kenji Ito in the Prog Archives, especially after hearing three phenomenal albums of his, RE:BIRTH II / ROMANCING SAGA BATTLE ARRANGE, RE:BIRTH II / ROMANCING SAGA BATTLE ARRANGE -SEN-, and RE:BIRTH II -REN- “SAGA” BATTLE ARRANGE. Amazing music, and to me it sounds like prog rock.

Kenji Ito, born July 5th 1968 in Tokyo, Japan, is a talented keyboardist and composer and has been working in the video game music industry for over 25 years. His most well-known games he has composed for are the SaGa series, Chocobo series, Mana series, and Shadow Hearts. He has worked with Nobuo Uematsu in composing music for Squaresoft, one game in particular is Romancing SaGa 2 for the Super NES. 

Lately, however, Kenji Ito has been composing and arranging stellar Prog Metal albums based on the battle songs in his games, with keyboards played by him mostly and the other instruments performed by a dream team of excellent (but mostly unheard of) rock musicians, including Masaru Teramae, Atsushi Enomoto, Yu "masshoi" Yamauchi, Noriyuki Kamikura, Reiko Tsuchiya, and Masahiro Makihara. Many of these musicians are from Nihon Falcom's music team.

Kenji Ito's style is Japanese progressive rock, neo-prog, even power metal sometimes, with soaring electric guitars, guitar solos, violins similar to Japanese prog band Outer Limits, and melodic keyboards. Kenji Ito is a master at creating melodies in a neo-symphonic style, and some of his songs have even Latin influences. I have no doubt whatsoever that his songs are Prog, just listen for yourself to the songs I've linked.

I believe Kenji Ito woud make a great addition to the Prog Archives, he definitely plays prog music from what I hear and if Kenji Ito cannot be in the Archives, then why is Motoi Sakuraba? Too many non-prog video game albums? Motoi has far, far more, and his countless video game albums aren't listed here. Just stick with these three main albums:

RE:BIRTH II / ROMANCING SAGA BATTLE ARRANGE
Released Aug 29, 2012 by Square Enix Music, distributed by Sony Music Distribution

Tracklist (from vgmdb.net)
01Battle 1 Medley - from Romancing SaGa 1.2.3, Romancing SAGA -Minstrel Song-4:48
02Battle 2 - from Romancing SaGa 34:02
03Magical Tank Battle - from Romancing SaGa 34:10
04Occult Castle Battle - from Romancing SaGa 34:45
05Four Demon Nobles Battle Medley - from Romancing SaGa 36:08
06Believing My Justice - from Romancing SAGA -Minstrel Song-4:15
07Last Battle - from Romancing SaGa 25:02
08Last Battle - from Romancing SaGa 34:54
09Decisive Battle! Saruin - from Romancing SAGA -Minstrel Song-7:26
10Seven Heroes Battle - from Romancing SaGa 25:02
Disc length 50:32

RE:BIRTH II / ROMANCING SAGA BATTLE ARRANGE -SEN- 
Released Feb 26, 2014 by Square Enix Music, distributed by Sony Music Distribution

01Re:Birth II - Sen: Lethal Strike - Decisive Battle Medley4:58
02Re:Birth II - Sen: Battle 25:25
03Re:Birth II - Sen: The Sewers4:08
04Re:Birth II - Sen: Battle with Kujinshi3:42
05Re:Birth II - Sen: Battle #14:15
06Re:Birth II - Sen: Battle #54:26
07Re:Birth II - Sen: Last Battle - Asellus5:09
08Re:Birth II - Sen: Memories Stirred - The Battle with Sherah4:02
09Re:Birth II - Sen: Melodies of Good and Evil5:25
10Re:Birth II - Sen: The Seven Heroes' Battle4:34
Disc length 46:04

RE:BIRTH II -REN- “SAGA” BATTLE ARRANGE
Released Apr 15, 2015 by Square Enix Music

01Re:Birth II -Ren- Boiling Blood~Save the world Medley from SaGa 2 Hihou Densetsu5:09
02Re:Birth II -Ren- Pile Up Stacks~Hold Out Medley from SaGa 3 Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light4:47
03Re:Birth II -Ren- Sound the Charge! from Imperial SaGa4:32
04Re:Birth II -Ren- Vanguard Liftoff! from Romancing SaGa 34:01
05Re:Birth II -Ren- Battle #4 from SaGa Frontier5:30
06Re:Birth II -Ren- Red's Last Battle from SaGa Frontier4:12
07Re:Birth II -Ren- Emilia's Last Battle from SaGa Frontier5:39
08Re:Birth II -Ren- A Piece of Courage from Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song-3:56
09Re:Birth II -Ren- Oblivion Calling - The Battle with Death from Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song-5:16
10Re:Birth II -Ren- Ardent Rhythm from Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song-4:47
Disc length 47:49

His vgmdb profile has way more information, with way more of his work, but those three listed above are the most relevant in terms of prog. His vgmdb profile is found Here.

Here are some examples of his songs:

Who can deny the Neo-Progness of this track?

Song from -Sen-, with examples of symphonic violin sound

A more pure example of Metal influence in this song:

From -Ren- song with flamenco influence to show variety

Official website for album RE:BIRTH II / ROMANCING SAGA BATTLE ARRANGE -SEN- is HERE.
Kenji Ito's official website is found Here

EDIT: Changed main genre to Neo-Prog. 

Edited by FroggyGlenn - May 18 2016 at 02:21
FroggyGlenn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 02:36
No replies yet, huh? Maybe Kenji will one day get recognition he deserves. Anyways, I added more information about each album, including track names and length. I am new to this, so forgive me, but I'm doing my best. Also, I changed the suggested genre to Neo-Prog mainly due to the majority of his songs over three albums.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 07:00
Not to be confused with the multi-instrumentalist Kenji Ito (aka Itoken) of Japanese Avant Prog band Harpy (who probably deserve to be considered for inclusion here), Zuppa di Pesce, Itoken Trio, Kuricorder Pops Orchestra, and others.

Go to the harpyitoken YouTube channel for samples of Harpy's music.

As for this particular Kenji Ito, his music certainly has prog tendencies, but whether he actually fits one of our dedicated subs I'm not so sure. There is some metal fused into it here and there, but I definitely don't think the Prog Metal team would approve him, and similarly the Neo Prog boys (who are about as active as a Koala Bear in a gas chamber these days anyway).

He reminds me a bit of people like Yngwie Malmsteen, who flirt with prog, but never really embrace it fully. We have him in Prog Related..and that's probably where Kenji Ito would best fit too IF (and it's a big IF) he was much more widely known than he is, and had stamped his mark on - or had influenced prog - in some readily identifiable way too.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised to see this Kenji Ito in the archives any time soon - but maybe the Harpy Kenji Ito (and his mates) could be in with a shout? Embarrassed
FroggyGlenn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 08:54
Thanks for the reply, maybe you are right. This Kenji Ito maybe is not really prog enough because perhaps his song structures are a bit too simple, like the video game source material, although he does use instruments that are familiar to prog.

Ah well, it was worth a shot. i will listen to that other Kenji to check him out.

Edited by FroggyGlenn - May 18 2016 at 08:57
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 04:43
Kenji ITO is one of renowned Japanese musicians / pianists mainly for PC games but I consider progressive game music should be not progressive rock (that's why I've never suggested Nobuo UEMATSU ... it's well said Nobuo's such a prog freak though). His one and only (not-for-game) work "Everlasting Melodies" is not progressive of course.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - May 19 2016 at 04:44
 Post Reply Post Reply