Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Van der Graaf "Cat's Eye" Promo Vid Unearthed!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVan der Graaf "Cat's Eye" Promo Vid Unearthed!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van der Graaf "Cat's Eye" Promo Vid Unearthed!!
    Posted: May 21 2016 at 08:34

From my VdGG Facebook page (just so you get the whole story ;-):

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!! Yet *another* astonishing, hitherto unseen video from Van der Graaf's golden 70s era has surfaced (well, unseen since 1977...) and the person we have to thank for it yet again is Herman Permentier. Herman was the man responsible for making the Refugees '70 video available to everyone, and now he's put a lot of time, travel, and $$ into taking an old 16mm film he acquired years ago and having it digitized, so that we can all enjoy it. This guy is a hero to VdGG fans, if you ever see him out at a Hammill/VdGG gig, please offer to buy him a beer / pop / coffee / whatever...

It's Van der Graaf from 1977, the five piece lineup (after Hugh and Jaxon split) featuring Peter Hammill (guitar, vox), Guy Evans (drums), Nic Potter (returning member on bass), Graham Smith (violin), and Chas Dickie (cello). They're miming to Cat's Eye, a single in France and one of the tunes off of the great Quiet Zone album. In an article on VdGG from Mojo magazine in '02, bassist Nic Potter (R.I.P.) was quoted as saying that he remembered doing a TV show with Peter larking about in a "plastic mac." While writing The Book (with Phil Smart), I asked Peter and Guy if they remembered anything about this. They didn't (and probably still don't even after seeing the vid!). But I talked to Nic about it, I asked him what a "plastic mac" was. He said it was like a see-through rain coat and he did still have vague recollections of the TV appearance from decades ago. Honestly, I thought he might have been mis-remembering a TV show that never actually happened, etc. But, this video unearthed by Herman proves that Nic was right! Coincidentally, I've been listening a lot to VdG's swan song, the double live '78 album Vital (featuring this exact lineup) quite a bit lately and have reaffirmed my thoughts on what a KILLER, take-no-prisoners lineup this was (and what a brilliant, like-no-other-band-on-the-planet group VdG were).

Thanks again Herman! Awesome, awesome stuff!!

jc
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 08:49
Well that was pretty amazing!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 12:29
Fantastic!  Any VDGG footage is worth it's weight in gold for me Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 17:07
Once again, thank-you's to Herman P and Bucka001 for sharing this footage .
And indeed, Vital is truly KILLER !! Brutal and beautiful at the same time. Dear Nic was a monster on the bass.
Too awesome.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 17:07
Sorry, don't know why a double post gets through sometimes.....
Looks like I'm going to crank up Vital today !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 21 2016 at 17:11
 Post Reply Post Reply