Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSage Judd : Experimental Jazz-Rock Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sage Judd : Experimental Jazz-Rock Fusion
    Posted: May 21 2016 at 21:13
Hey guys, my name is Sage Judd. I am 19 years old and I play Piano, Saxophone, and Bass. I make my own music and recordings in a variety of unique styles that draw on a wide variety of influences. I try to incorporate various progressive rock/metal and electronic/hip-hop influences into a primarily jazz-based sound. Sometimes my college music friends appear as guests on some tracks as well. 

I put a lot of effort into writing, playing, and recording my own music, and I hope you enjoy it! I'll post several tracks here, all of them link back to my soundcloud. I update it fairly regularly, and it is the best place to follow my music.

This is my most recent composition. It is primarily inspired by Zappa's more dark prog-rock works and by a lot of experimental 20th century harmonic devices. There is some math rock influence in there as well. It sounds kind of boss-battle esque, and I am very happy with how it turned out. I used a Yamaha P-105 digital keyboard and a MicroKorg synthesizer for all of my keyboard sounds on this one.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/synth-test-2

This is my other most recent track. This one is a lot more jazz and hip-hop inspired, but it has a lot of rock sensibility. For the synth sound, I actually ran my MicroKorg through an amp simulator and a cab impulse within Cubase. This gave it a really cool distortion, and a tone that sounds like the halfway point between an electric guitar and a synth. The same drum patch as the previous track was used. I'm pretty proud of this one. I also used some chopped up/distorted rhodes patches for the bassline and stutter effects.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/sage-judd-catnip

I had a college friend help me with brass and I did saxophones on this track. We were going for a merging of a big-band jazz sound with elements of prog rock and metal. Somewhat Zappa-inspired. There were some reverse horns and various ambient techniques used on this track as well.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/sage-judd-groof

And finally, I wrote this song a while back when I was on a massive trip-hop kick. I was also listening to a lot of the Brecker brothers. My friend supplied trombone and trumpet, while I did sax and keys. In the solos later, we experimented with various harmonizers. The trumpet had an octave-up pitch shifted harmony, and then a delay. The sax at one point has a fifth-up pitch shifted harmony as well. 

I hope you enjoy, I loved making each of these songs. There are more on my soundcloud page. I am always open and very appreciative of any feedback, I love to hear what you guys think!
 Post Reply Post Reply