Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow many album listens before a review?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: How many times do you usually listen to an album before reviewing it?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [6.67%]
1 [3.33%]
4 [13.33%]
1 [3.33%]
2 [6.67%]
20 [66.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 12:41
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Wasn't there a member who did reviews after only one listen?

I recall a member, who wrote his reviews without listening, purely by song titles.LOL

That was me at a greener age... but people evolve, you know

Edited by Quinino - May 26 2016 at 12:54
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 13:55
More than 5 seems good, but honestly not many more (generally...at least in terms for reviewing...there are plenty of albums that I've reviewed that I've listened to many times, but jujst for personal enjoyment).

The main exception would be some albums that I listen to twice and know all I want to say about it/know that I'll probably either never listen to it again or rarely listen to it again so to get a review out of the way quickly. Obviously, these albums are generally at the bottom of the scale...
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 19:08
Depends on the album. Sometimes the immediate impact is such that I "put pen to paper" immediately (though publishing later). First impressions are very important to me. Some albums take me 20 listens through before I can find the words and motivation to write a review. Some albums I've listened to nearly 100 times and still have yet to pen a review. Can't really explain why--it's all dependent on how my Spirit is moved.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 21:03
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Depends on the album. Sometimes the immediate impact is such that I "put pen to paper" immediately (though publishing later). First impressions are very important to me. Some albums take me 20 listens through before I can find the words and motivation to write a review. Some albums I've listened to nearly 100 times and still have yet to pen a review. Can't really explain why--it's all dependent on how my Spirit is moved.

Absolutely correct analysis, BrufordFreak ! To counter that problem, I now start writing a basic intro upon first listen, covering some history (whether a new act or a familiar one) and studying the overall style and trying to get what the artist is thinking. A second run through starts filling the gaps and the third generally results in finishing the actual review with track by track focus. There are some discs that simply defy my ability to write any kind of review , so I just drop it, for a while or forever. I hate writing negative reviews , as I feel reluctant to bash any musician doing his damnest in a non profit market.  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12