Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBased on gut feeling...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Who do you think will win the US presidential election?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [63.41%]
15 [36.59%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 14:58
that bad.. hey perhaps there is a D.T album I want to listen to! LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:03
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hey.. I want to play!!

agreed... Isis is a danger.. we face FAR worse..

the top 5 dangers facing the United States according to the Big Mick

1) bigots, racists, nativists and christian fundemantism. More of danger to America and what it stands for than any f**king Terrorist can manage.
2) an ignorant apathetic electorate who don't bother to educate themselves before sticking their feet in the ballot box!
3) civil war.. oh make no mistake we are in one... just fought for now in the political arena.. biut already some (on both sides) are taking it the next level. Outright violence.  It the vacating of the middle, decades ago by the right, and VERy soon to come for HIllary will be the last of the centrist Democratics.. the Democrtic Party. Moving both parties.. and their supporters even farther from finding any common ground.
4) IPA beers
5) prog rock...

1 and 2 have been around for a long time and I don't see them going away.
3 is a very real possibility because both sides are getting farther apart and neither side will give an inch.
You're on your own with 4 & 5.

1 and 2 have become tolerated and generally accepted as being a part of life in America and, like I said, have been around for a long time.
ISIS has not been around that long and their influence is growing. I do not want to see them become tolerated and generally accepted. 
Personally, I don't think anything can be done about 1 and 2 and they probably will eventually cause 3.
But something can still be done to stop ISIS and putting these seemingly unsolvable problems ahead of terrorism is a mistake.
But hey, we're America. Making mistakes is what we do.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:05

I wouldn't recommend it. It's all you and Raff have never liked about them multiplied by 20 Trump Hairpieces. 

Believe me, it's yuge, yuge bad. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:07
^^ISIS will flame out and eventually another group will take over, and so ad nauseaum until one day several things happens that have more to do with actual structural changes and even with the US foreign policy itself (and the whole Middle East zone). 

There was Al-Qaeda (well, it still exists), there was Zarqawi, now there's ISIS.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:16
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I wouldn't recommend it. It's all you and Raff have never liked about them multiplied by 20 Trump Hairpieces. 

Believe me, it's yuge, yuge bad. 

sold LOL  If I can.. I listen to it tonight to ease my convention speech withdraw...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:19
LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:54
Cool perhaps an off the cuff review might be needed.. but only if you say it is as bad as you say. I am sort of scared though..  what if I like it Teo. I don't think I'd be able to show my face on this forum again...

for the record... jokes aside..

4) lightning strikes
5) Isis..

you do know lighning kills 15 times more people in the US than islamic terrorits...

it isn't the danger isn't real.. the governement and all those agencies are doing what they need to do .. all that can be done to keep us safe. Terrorism is a danger as much a part of our day to day life as drunk drivers..crazy sex crazed red headed women ...right wing loonies with guns.. or very angry people of color striking out against a century and half of racism.. for it is still alive today. Look no further than the GOP.

It is a dangerous world out there.. ISIS.. one of many...there was Al-Queda before it.. there will be another one after ISIS is stomped out.. that is a fact of life now and has been for years now... but so many others are self inficted and brought upon ourselves.  We are doing good enough of a job of killing ourselves.

Edited by micky - July 29 2016 at 16:00
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 16:01

Cool perhaps an off the cuff review might be needed.. but only if you say it is as bad as you say. I am sort of scared though..  what if I like it Teo. I don't think I'd be able to show my face on this forum again...

This album made me dust off my reviewing skills, so bad it is. Tongue
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 16:02
*spits this double bock all over my monitor*

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 16:53
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Anywhere near? Where do you place ISIS on the list of threats that America faces?

Pretty low, deaths caused by cops and right wing terrorists within the US number much higher than those caused by ISIS. The environment of course being the highest on the list.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 17:49
sorry! Missed your post earliers... I saw nothing but red when Teo mentioned DT LOL

hey.. I want to play!!

agreed... Isis is a danger.. we face FAR worse..

the top 5 dangers facing the United States according to the Big Mick

1) bigots, racists, nativists and christian fundemantism. More of danger to America and what it stands for than any f**king Terrorist can manage.
2) an ignorant apathetic electorate who don't bother to educate themselves before sticking their feet in the ballot box!
3) civil war.. oh make no mistake we are in one... just fought for now in the political arena.. biut already some (on both sides) are taking it the next level. Outright violence.  It the vacating of the middle, decades ago by the right, and VERy soon to come for HIllary will be the last of the centrist Democratics.. the Democrtic Party. Moving both parties.. and their supporters even farther from finding any common ground.
4) IPA beers
5) prog rock...

1 and 2 have been around for a long time and I don't see them going away.
3 is a very real possibility because both sides are getting farther apart and neither side will give an inch.
You're on your own with 4 & 5.

1 and 2 have become tolerated and generally accepted as being a part of life in America and, like I said, have been around for a long time.
ISIS has not been around that long and their influence is growing. I do not want to see them become tolerated and generally accepted. 
Personally, I don't think anything can be done about 1 and 2 and they probably will eventually cause 3.
But something can still be done to stop ISIS and putting these seemingly unsolvable problems ahead of terrorism is a mistake.
But hey, we're America. Making mistakes is what we do.

1and 2 have been around a long time. What is different, and why I feel it is so much more dangerous is...

unlike Terrorism those forces, which of course have now taken over a major political party, can do what no terrorist group can do though they dream of it. Use fear to have a society fall upon itself. In short... to make American less by changing who we are as a nation, as a society. We are a nation of immigrants, where no religion is put above others, and none are restricted. Diversity is the key to our nations success, we are one horribly mistake of an election to doing everything Al-Queda or Isis could have dreamed of..... taking down America from its perch as leaders of the free world. A place where others can point to and look to for inspiration.  To be honest, and perhaps this is my wife talking LOL, the fact we may have already passed that point thanks to our continued history and legacy of racism and bigotry.... but it can get worse.

another reason why 1 and 2 are so high...  they are of course why #3 could happen..

as far as 4 and 5...  proudly on my own there. LOLThumbs Up
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 20:32
Mick, I know that sometimes you lean slightly toward liberalism. Hell, sometimes you make Whoopi Goldberg look like a moderate.  Smile
The threats that some of you have brought up are very serious and it is not my intent to shadow them with the immediate threat of ISIS. They really should be two separate discussions because the threats you bring up are internal threats that need to be dealt with right here in this country. 
ISIS is an external threat that can be and should be dealt with by our military and they should be dealt with quickly. They are not going to fade away because they are getting stronger. They went from 4,000 fighters to 30,000 fighters in about a year and now their numbers are estimated to be 80,000 - 100,000.
So, like I said, these should be two different discussions (but not here, this is the Trump / Clinton thread) Wink
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 02:15
okay, okay...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 06:30

Mick, I know that sometimes you lean slightly toward liberalism. Hell, sometimes you make Whoopi Goldberg look like a moderate.  Smile
The threats that some of you have brought up are very serious and it is not my intent to shadow them with the immediate threat of ISIS. They really should be two separate discussions because the threats you bring up are internal threats that need to be dealt with right here in this country. 
ISIS is an external threat that can be and should be dealt with by our military and they should be dealt with quickly. They are not going to fade away because they are getting stronger. They went from 4,000 fighters to 30,000 fighters in about a year and now their numbers are estimated to be 80,000 - 100,000.
So, like I said, these should be two different discussions (but not here, this is the Trump / Clinton thread) Wink

LOL I think my views on guns are enough to keep me out of Goldberg territory.. but I appreciate the complement. Embarrassed Almost as much as the woman yesterday that 'snagged' me yesterday belting out a Dionne Warwick song while working and told me I have a beautiful singing voice.

Point taken..  it is a a great intellectual conversion to be had personally.. and a mandatory one this nation needs to have.. as we are nearing a real fracture point....but this isn't the place for it.

As far as the personal side... your ass is retired.  Why don't you get yourself out to Progday next year.. dig some great live prog not from stale nostalgia acts/retro prog but progressive fresh new and unknown groups, awesome BBQ, drink good strong Mick-beer by the gallon while dying in the heat LOL .. and talk a bit deeper about some of these things. You'd love it there.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 07:47
political divisions at home aside..  back to Isis.

I have to admit, I told Raff the night of the Paris attacks that hopefully we would see France (which I have always seen as more akin to America than England ever has been regardless of our 'special relationship') do what we would have done. Hunt those motherf**kers to the ends of the earth and exterminate them. Of course they will be replaced with some other group for the roots causes of radical militant Islam are not of our doings, thus not in our control to fully eradicate, it is a internal issue in the Islamic/Middle East world and only they can back their faith (which I have studied in college to some not so small degree due to my personal experiences) and found to be a beautiful religion.

Anyhow.. I'm rambling..  I thought or perhaps more hoped France would do what we have not, politically unable  perhaps thanks to the lingering legacy of Bush Light folliesmisguided and massively costly in human and financial terms). They did not.  Another point in which I diverge from traditional 'liberal' thought is I am very much a hawk, in obviously measured and well considered and practial terms. THe military is not a a welfare state for southern dead-enders with no other recourse, nor a state subsidized outlet for defense industries. It is a tool. It can be used and should be used when needed.

I do think Hillary and Obama differed in their approach to handling Isis.  Obama's policy is killing Isis.. at glacial movement but is without having our troops die... HIllaries more likely approach would be to directly stamp them out.  Hard to say which would have better in hindsight.. for it is debatable that if ISIS had been taken out forcefully and directly that the attacks that plagued Europe just in the last year would not have happened.  It is the age of the unsophisticated/lone wolf terrorism cell. The days of elaborate and well financed 9-11 style attacks have likely been stamped out. All it takes now is the internet, hate, and a weapon to make a terrorist.

It is a fight that has to be waged. To eliminate Isis.. as it will to eradicate the one that pops up to replace it... but IMO there is no question that it will not stop terrorism. It is a part of our lives now, has been here for over.. sh*t..  we are getting old... 15 years.  Europe now is facing the reality we have had ...  you don't live in fear of course.. I'm more scared of drunk or texting drivers than some radicalized killer with a gun.. but you have to learn to live that you live a world where it can happen..and happen at any time. Especially those of us who live in obvious 'target areas'.  It just becomes a part of day to day living.. you do learn to take greater note of your surrounding and what is going on around you.

my thoughts fwiw...

Edited by micky - July 30 2016 at 07:49
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 07:51
^^ Ah yes, Dionne. What a classy lady. Back in the day she had a very impressive string of hits. I'm going to guess that you were singing Do You Know The Way To San Jose because it's got that catchy little tune that sticks in your head. But you probably weren't even born when that song was a hit.  Smile

I look at ISIS from a military point of view (it's a throwback to my days in uniform). You identify your enemy, you engage your enemy, you defeat your enemy. 
Unfortunately, the problems that you and others brought up are not so simple. 
It bothers me a lot that racism is still such a problem in this country. When you consider the fact that the civil rights movement goes back about 56 years you would expect a lot more progress than we have had.
I'm an ornery old conservative who will never change but I had many black and Hispanic friends in the Army and during my thirty years in construction. I was married to a Mexican woman for twenty six years so I just don't see why people can't get beyond the race thing.

I don't get out much anymore but I'm sure we would have a great time listening to prog and tossing back some Coronas. We could sit around and discuss many topics and try to out BS each other.

And don't give a thought to that liberal comment. Hell, I have friends who like liberals.  Smile Wink

Edited by TeleStrat - July 30 2016 at 07:52
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 10:08
It is a fact that if ISIS is destroyed another group will pop up and take their place. Of course that means that the new group must be destroyed, and then the one after that, etc. I know that a lot of people do not like this but can someone come up with another way?
Containment? Both the Taliban and Al Qaeda were contained but not destroyed and they are still around. The last I heard was that Al Qaeda is gaining strength again.
Negotiate? Does anyone actually think that ISIS will ever sit across the table from John Kerry and work things out?
Islamic jihad has been around forever and it will continue to be around long after everyone on this forum are long gone.
To compound the problem, ISIS is not just an extension of the Taliban or Al Qaeda. 
They are well funded, partly because they have been selling captured oil on the black market and partly because there never seems to be a shortage of groups (and governments) that secretly channel funds to support terrorism.
They have been able to grow their ranks very quickly by using the internet and by using female operatives to entice young men into the cause.
They also use the internet to recruit lone wolf terrorists. There message is basically, "Come here and join our fight. If you cannot come here then fight where you are".
They are also much more brutal than the previous terror groups. Sawing off heads, putting people in cages and setting them on fire and dropping gay men headfirst off rooftops and then posting videos of their brutality on the internet for the whole world to see.
How could anyone not want to wipe these people off the face of the earth?

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 12:14
point 1) nope... again.. from what I see.. and I do believe I am reading it correctly. Radical Islam is tied to conditions inherent to the Middle East. It will up to them to finally eradicate it, be it of love of their faith which is being hijacked or pure self interest. Perhaps that is the one thing we can do... really..really pressure the Middle eastern kingdoms to address the problems in their own houses.. giving those who pervert Islam more than enough new dead-ender recruits to replace those killed off.

point2) containment does not work.. no more practical than destroying them. To do either.. you have to address the root causes of radical Islam. That is not within our power to do IMO. That has to come from within.. perhaps some day it will happen.  Perhaps when Oil finally is displaced, either as replaceable to clean/green energy sources or the bottom of the oil market falls through the floor.

Negotiate?  No.. we are not the Democratic Party of the 80's.  The egg heads are gone... the doves not yet in acendancy... two basic political maxims I believe in

you can not legislate morality
you can not negotiate or reason with lunatics. 

note the obvious parallel with our current political situation LOL

point 4)  those that hope that someone else will do it .. that someone being us.  We have shown no problem in killing not only those that needed to be put down but looking the other way to massive collateral civilian damage inherent in combating such a non-defined shadowy enemy .

Edited by micky - July 30 2016 at 12:26
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2016 at 12:36
oh .. and it was I was Say a LIttle Prayer for you. It was not the first time my singing abiities have been singled out.. I've been recruited for church choirs.. while sh*t faced in bars.. and won standing ovations in bars during karokee night ...while completely sh*t faced and falling over the speakers...

Definitely a bit before my time (47 now)  I just had the good luck to have very musical parents very much into her and so that music was as much a part of my childhood and playing with my penis and sucking on my thumb..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234