Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelmut Koellen in the Studio

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these studio recordings is Helmut's Best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [66.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helmut Koellen in the Studio
    Posted: August 23 2016 at 17:02
I thought I'd venture a poll regarding the studio recordings of the late Helmut Koellen, known in prog circles as Triumvirat's  Lead Vocalist/Bass and Six-string Guitarist on their two most successful albums in the mid-1970s, Illusions On A Double Dimple, and Spartacus. He also helped record a single which is listed here-Timothy/Dancer's Delight, and a separate track, Showstopper.
         After splitting from the Rat in 1975, he became a session musician/singer in German group Jail's 1976 album You Can Help Me, also featuring Triumvirat's Juergen Fritz. (Koellen was not on all tracks, though) Then, there was the single he helped record for Jail called Julie.
                   After that, Helmut Koellen finished recording a solo album, You Won't See Me (see my review in Non-Prog Music Reviews section) which was released in October of 1977, after his death on May 3rd of that year.
           The Triumvirat albums are his most progressive material, but the singles tracks, Jail, and the solo album, though not really prog rock, should not be overlooked, as they further testify to his great talent, accessibility, and "from the heart" writing, singing and playing.
               You Won't See Me is his most personal record, and is very special, indeed, but for me, it  is Illusions On A Double Dimple that wins this race. A stellar opus, it is refreshingly vigorous and sublime from start to finish in that inimitable Triumvirat way.
                      No doubt in my mind that the Triumvirat albums will dominate this poll, as Jail and the solo album were under the radar for so many, but  I hope this complete listing of Helmut Koellen in the studio will interest more people in the other recordings.

Edited by presdoug - August 23 2016 at 17:08
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 17:46
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 17:50
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member