Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RESULTS: The Top Prog Tracks Of All Time - 2016
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRESULTS: The Top Prog Tracks Of All Time - 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 05:50
Originally posted by frankbostick frankbostick wrote:

Great work, but...
Supper's Ready, Echoes, Close To The Edge, The Gates Of Delirium, Tarkus, Atom Heart Mother, Karn Evil 9, Thick As A Brick, A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers etc. etc.

These are not songs, but musical suites!!!
It's different, very different!

If I wear them will they make a noise..............
or can I sit in it?

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 29 2016 at 05:53
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 10:43
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Great for doing this list Magnum V.!  Clap Thumbs Up I enjoyed reading it.
Sorry I did not notice it before, because I was travelling a lot during the summer months.
If such a list-making happens any time again, I will try to find time to contribute!

No worries; glad you enjoyed! A second round could definitely be in order for next summer. In fact, I was thinking of taking on the next iteration of the top albums list next time around.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Clap nicely done Kevin.

One curious statistic (if you like this kind of thing) is that even though the sample-size is statistically still fairly low the scores approximates to a power-series trend:

...which is exactly the same trend profile you would see if you plotted the sales vs. chart position of the Billboard album and singles charts, Bandcamp sales charts or even in the PA Top 100 charts. 

In the PA Top 100 this is true for the Average rating, the QWR rating and even the number of ratings scored for each album (thou' the last one may not look like a power-series at first glance but it is if you look at the trendline):

So while some may not agree with specific placements or choices, and from the wobbliness of the actual score lines in relation to the calculated trendline there is fair degree leeway at play here, the stats suggest that each track or album's chart position is more or less in the right ball-park.

Thanks Dean, very cool! Thumbs Up
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 14:26
Just looking at this list for the first time. Number 263 says "the Lamb" for Genesis. Is that the title track to TLLDOBW?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 14:43
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Just looking at this list for the first time. Number 263 says "the Lamb" for Genesis. Is that the title track to TLLDOBW?

Yes, it is.

I edited the post to make it more clear; I copied and pasted the list directly from excel so I apologize for anywhere where I didn't edit or reformat my shorthand.  
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 14:44
Just a few observations. No Marillion! Not even something from the Fish era. Weird. Also, the Kansas song "Magnum Opus" is mysteriously absent. It's such a killer tune and yet it didn't even make the top 300. I'll probably think of some other omissions later. Also, not much in the way of post seventies prog. Some stuff here and there and often bands I am not familiar with.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 15:23

Just a few observations. No Marillion! Not even something from the Fish era. Weird. Also, the Kansas song "Magnum Opus" is mysteriously absent. It's such a killer tune and yet it didn't even make the top 300. I'll probably think of some other omissions later. Also, not much in the way of post seventies prog. Some stuff here and there and often bands I am not familiar with.

I was also surprised by this myself. But that just boils down to the fact that all the songs in the top 300 had to be listed by at least two participants, and it just so happened that most of the participants this time around weren't huge modern prog fans (except for more math/post-rock or avant-prog stuff).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 15:45
Well, I was just thinking that not many modern prog songs really stand out. I'm quite surprised that not even "Jordrock" by Anglagard was on there and that one is already 24 years old. I did see a Transatlantic song on there though. Would you consider doing a top 100 for post seventies prog?
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 16:03

Well, I was just thinking that not many modern prog songs really stand out. I'm quite surprised that not even "Jordrock" by Anglagard was on there and that one is already 24 years old. I did see a Transatlantic song on there though. Would you consider doing a top 100 for post seventies prog?

I was a little surprised too, and a bit disappointed; think I was the only one who listed it (and Kung Bore). 

Edited by zwordser - October 29 2016 at 16:05
Z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011