Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Other than prog, what other genres do you enjoy?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOther than prog, what other genres do you enjoy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 09:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Just about anything other than rap(except the early stuff) and country and western. Big fan of fusion, psychedelic and hard rock and metal in particular. I also like folk, electronic(older style ie TD), classical and jazz.

That's pretty similar to me. I can usually find something to like about most genres. I don't mind the earlier pre-gangsta rap back when rap had a sense of humor. Most country does nothing for me. About the closest I can get to that is early Eagles or southern rock. Punk is another one I just can't get into very much if at all. Not at all a fan of New Age music. 

Edited by Jeffro - July 18 2017 at 09:53
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
fourrobert13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 09:54
Mostly metal and hard rock. No rap, country, or pop. I'm pretty picky about what I listen to.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 10:15
Jazz with vocals (female, preferably)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 10:30
i listen to quite a lot of soundtrack and library music, as well as folk and electronic music, a lot of jazzy music, tropica, exotica.... I love a ton of psych tinged music. I like funk. I used to listen to lots of classical, but not so much now.

If I were to choose a particular favourite of mine over the last ten years it would be Ennio Morricone, and I listen to Piero Umiliani and the usual suspects. I love Vladimir Cosma, Mandingo, Egisto Macchi, Stringronics, Sven Libaek, and Janko Nilovic. I love music with a big band sound. I love folk, the Wicker Man soundtrack is a favourite of mine. I also like Air an awful lot. And I do listen to a lot of Matt Berry, and genuinely love his music. I don't how many times I've played the Kill the Wolf album.
Yesterday I was listening to Beach House's Teen Dream, and before that Luc Ferrari. Today I was listening to Mark Fry's Dreaming With Alice.

Most of what I listen to I do consider to be in the prog-related realm, despite most of it not being in the archives.

EDIT: Cause I missed one that I still really like after decades and really started the ball rolling for me on loving modern music when I was a child: Gary Numan. While not Prog, Replicas is THE album, I would say, if I were to mention one (I don't think it's so simplistic) that led me on this journey. Then it was the Alan Parsons Project's I Robot and then Pink Floyd and so on.... And I love David Bowie (who is in the archives).

SO in terms of specific genres: jazz, classical, electronic, tropica, exotica, folk, psych, new wave, synthpop, library/ various soundtrack music, musique concrete, funk, downtempo, ambient, art pop, art/ academic music, plenty of punk, indie music etc. It's almost easier to say what i don't like, and even then I will find exceptions. I also like eastern oriental music and a lot of world music and stuff called new age. And I like quite a lot of Eurodisco music.

By the way, as a side-note, I don't know if I would say that I like Prog as a genre. There's plenty of music classified as Prog here that I like, but there's an awful lot that I find hard to tolerate. My preferred music in the archives I commonly think of as Prog umbrella music, or progressive music. I do like lots of music in most of the categories here. What I often think of as stereotypically Prog I often don't like, so I don't think myself as a Prog fan per se. It's such a mixed bag, I'd say by its nature, and prog draws from a diverse range of genres. The "Prog" I tend to like intersects heavily with other genres that I like and that which I don't tends to have genres that I don't generally care for as a significant influence (that said, I can like prog bands that draw on styles that I don't normally care for). Some people say, "if it's good music I like it" no matter what the genre, but I find that a strange statement as good music is so subjective. If they mean "If it's good music by my standards" or "good music to me", it seems kind of a pointless and redundant statement. That's like saying "If I like the music then I like it." Well, yeah.... I wouldn't have assumed otherwise, although there are some masochists. I can say that there is music that I like that I don't consider to be good, and there is a grey area to be explored with such statements.

Edited by Logan - July 19 2017 at 11:41
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:08
Great post there Greg that very much echo my sentiments on the matter.

One of the things I have a hard time understanding is when certain folks start equating prog with great music - as if the mere badge of Prog Rock automatically makes the music superior to something that's not. (These instances often take place in the new suggestions area where fave artists get suggested simply because X person adores them and naturally if one loves a band - especially from the 70s - then it is prog.)
All genres of music consist of at least 75% horse manure. It is up to the individual to sniff out the pearls which has become so much easier with the advent of the internet.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

All genres of music consist of at least 75% horse manure.

That's open to debate - according to some recent studies that proportion could in fact rise up to a staggering 90% (my subjective opinion, too)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:33
Heh you're probably right Jose. I was being too kind
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
skog_prog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 20:40
I like black metal, Nordic folk, renaissance classical music, avant garde jazz, and some ambient.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 09:40
Alot of mainstream classic rock (Beatles, Stones,The Who, Clapton, Allman Bros, Grateful Dead, Areosmith, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Police,Tom Petty, SRV...)

Some jazz . Mostly fusion but I like old school stuff too like Miles, Bird,Coltrane, Buddy Rich,...

Some 80's & 90's ( Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson,Dire Straits, Pretenders,U2, STP, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains Dave Matthews, Counting Crows, Chili Peppers,...)

Edited by Argo2112 - July 20 2017 at 10:32
ZodiacSigns View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 18:44
Psych
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 18:54

Rock in general, mostly classic rock, 80s rock and heavy metal.

I also enjoy a lot of tracks from various genres, such as movie/game soundtracks, electro (e.g. 2 unlimited, Jarre, Vangelis), pop.

scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 16:01
Before Prog I was very closed minded musically. Over the last few years however I really have started to enjoy a whole bunch of music I would of normally turned my nose up at. Jazz is one area I have come to like, electronic is another. But the biggest shift has been towards world music especially Andean. Don't ask me why my tastes have become so eclectic but perhaps it's for the better, but it drives many people around me mad.

Rap I find difficult and monotonous, and still cringe at Country and Western.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567