FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAngie is the number one!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 01:33
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

well note Serena won damn near everything last year up until the Open... when she dropped off the radar for 4 months including the year end championship.

Angie had a sh*tty year last year. Thus the huge point difference at the beginning and thpugh Serena had a great year by 'other' standards.. it was still quite a drop off from the year before.

Serena has like no points to defend for the rest of the year...  Angie did play well in the fall of last year.  Serena still could retake the #1. Not that I hope she does..

Serena is head and shoulders the least likeable #1 I've seen... ever.. in tennis. Even Lendl was more likeabe than her LOL The day she retires .. as a huge fan of women's tennis.. I'll rejoice.   If only the gods had combined Serena's talent and Venus's demeanor and likeability.

maybe, but there is something else that has to be taken into account. Serena has lost her nimbus of invincibility; it is no longer that the young players say "Oh God, I'm up against Serena; I'm as good as out of the tournament. she hits so hard", they now see her as a feather to add to their cap. a hard to pluck feather perhaps, but pluckable nevertheless.

such a nimbus often goes along with being number one. if Angie can prove she belongs there over the next few months then maybe the other players will go "Oh God, I am up against Angelique; I'm as good as out of the tournament. she brings back everything".

and Serena isn't getting any younger. she will be 35 in two weeks. you can fight off age for some time but not forever. you inevitably become slower, get out of breath sooner, your reactions are not what they used to be, and your body is more prone to injuries the older you get. there is just so much your abused muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints and bones can take.

and Angelique Kerber is not the one to rest on her laurels, she is still looking for ways to improve her game. both she and her coach Torben Beltz have announced that the next thing they will work on is her serve, which is arguably the weakest part of her game. they want her serve to become one of the best on the tour. and Kerber is a hard worker; she will do anything to reach that goal.

an Angelique Kerber with a big serve will be extremely scary to play against for sure

Edited by BaldJean - September 13 2016 at 01:41

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 05:01
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

My first thought was Rolling Stones too! 

Big smile I immediately thought about another Angie ...

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 06:01
Kerber also played what I consider to be the shot of the tournament, an extremely risky  but wonderfully executed longline forehand at 3:3 30 all in the third set of her US Open final against Pliskova. you can see the rally in this video at 1:08

what a daring and beautiful shot! and look at Kerber's reaction: roaring and pumping up both fists is not enough to celebrate that shot, she pumps up a leg as well

Edited by BaldJean - September 13 2016 at 06:07

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 08:47
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

and Angelique Kerber is not the one to rest on her laurels, she is still looking for ways to improve her game. both she and her coach Torben Beltz have announced that the next thing they will work on is her serve, which is arguably the weakest part of her game. they want her serve to become one of the best on the tour. and Kerber is a hard worker; she will do anything to reach that goal.

an Angelique Kerber with a big serve will be extremely scary to play against for sure

Never say never but if a player of Kerber's age and mileage doesn't already have a big serve, she's not going to get one now.  But what the coach may help her with is developing more variety and making her feel more confident because at the moment her second serve is rather predictable and very much on the slower side. For all that, it's already a much better serve than say Muguruza, not least because of her tricky lefty angle.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 05:22
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Never say never but if a player of Kerber's age and mileage doesn't already have a big serve, she's not going to get one now.  But what the coach may help her with is developing more variety and making her feel more confident because at the moment her second serve is rather predictable and very much on the slower side. For all that, it's already a much better serve than say Muguruza, not least because of her tricky lefty angle.

well, if Torben Beltz thinks it is possible who am I to doubt him?

an interesting stat about Angelique Kerber: she won 48.26% of her career prize money this year

Edited by BaldJean - September 14 2016 at 05:31

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 09:57

well, if Torben Beltz thinks it is possible who am I to doubt him?

an interesting stat about Angelique Kerber: she won 48.26% of her career prize money this year

But has he actually said THAT - that just like that he's going to give her a big serve?  I would be very surprised if he did.  There's a difference between improvements - pros keep on improving technique through their playing years - and a dramatic transformation of a stroke as fundamental as the serve.  In the USO final, Kerber's average first serve speed was 94 mph, the same as Pliskova's fastest SECOND serve.  Kerber's fastest first serve of 103 mph was barely faster than Pliskova's average first serve speed of 102 mph (her own fastest being 111 mph).  And Pliskova is not the biggest server on the WTA, not even close.  Pliskova's own speed range is comparable to Graf and Graf would not be considered a big server today though certainly a very effective one. I still think what he and Kerber will work on is getting her second serve speed closer to that of her first serve - at an average of 77 mph, it is a real liability and would be even more so but for her leftie angle going across the right handed opponent.  Her approach will be like Nadal, to just serve strong enough that it gets the point started without damage being inflicted and then wear down opponents in the baseline rallies.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 11:34
he said quote "als Nächstes werden wir an ihrem Aufshlag arbeiten. ich möchte, dass sie einen der besten Aufschläge auf der Tour hat" unquote meaning "the next thing we will work on is her serve. I want her to have one of the best serves on the tour".

as to Graf not being one of the fastest servers: wrong; her fastest serve was about 180 km/h. serves have generally become a lot faster over the years. that's not because players hit harder today, it is because of the equipment of today. give Serena Williams a racket and a ball of the times Graf used to play, and she won't serve any faster than her.

actually an experiment like this was made already, just not involving Serena Williams. with the old equipment serves became considerably slower

Edited by BaldJean - September 14 2016 at 11:56

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 20:23

he said quote "als Nächstes werden wir an ihrem Aufshlag arbeiten. ich möchte, dass sie einen der besten Aufschläge auf der Tour hat" unquote meaning "the next thing we will work on is her serve. I want her to have one of the best serves on the tour".
Ok, that is certainly workable because one can always improve placement and disguise without making it one of the fastest serves on tour.  E.g Fed serves barely faster than Serena but he has a whole variety of serves which makes him harder to return than Raonic's straight-to-racquet 145 mph bombs.

as to Graf not being one of the fastest servers: wrong; her fastest serve was about 180 km/h. serves have generally become a lot faster over the years. that's not because players hit harder today, it is because of the equipment of today. give Serena Williams a racket and a ball of the times Graf used to play, and she won't serve any faster than her.
As to the first part, I was not aware of a 180 kph serve by Graf.  I remember that her fastest was around 110 mph and that's close enough.  At any rate, Serena can go past 200 regularly.  That 20 kmh bump doesn't sound like a lot but it is.  Regarding equipment, Graf played with what was then considered one of the best racquets around - the Dunlop Max 200G. She had to change to a Wilson in '94 because Dunlop had to discontinue that racquet. Serena played with retail racquets for quite sometime and even today does not bother much about her equipment.  She's strange that way.  But the reason Graf cannot serve as fast as Serena is mainly because Graf gets into trophy position before tossing the ball. This reduces her leverage as she then brings up her hitting arm to the ball.  Whereas Serena's is textbook, one of the few perfect serves on the WTA.  It doesn't hurt that she is such a hulk in terms of build too, of course.  But Graf had to use tremendous racquet head speed to compensate for this flaw in her serve action.  

Edited by rogerthat - September 14 2016 at 20:26
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 02:01
It looks as id there is some future for German's male tennis as well. Alexander Zverev just won his first ATP tournament in St. Petersburg, which at age 19 makes him the youngest player to win an ATP tournament since 2008. And he won it against no other than Stan Wawrinka, who just won the US Open and is currently ranked 3rd in the ATP ranking. He also had to beat world number 9 Tomas Berdych along the road to the final. This means that Zverev rose from number 45 to number 24 in the rankings.

It is too early to tell what will become of Zverev, but he is certainly on a good road right now, and if he becomes a bit more consistent who knows: Maybe he will become one of the greats and even a number 1 if he has the determination to work as hard as Angelique Kerber.

If that happens and if Angelique can keep hold of her number one spot for some time then German tennis will have another golden age with the peak being in 1991 when Germany had the top-ranked male and female player at the same time for 7 weeks (though not consecutively). These are of course two big IFs, but I would not rule out either at all.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 10:19
Zverev has the talent for sure.  He also has attitude he doesn't need.  I know the pretext made on behalf of today's upcoming talent is they are still young (as in late-teens).  Well, Djokovic was toughing it with King Fed in his late teens.  Need say nothing of Nadal.  There is a mountain to climb that way for Zverev.  But as the Big Four and also the next eight-ten top players (Berdych/Ferrer/Tsonga etc, leaving out Wawrinka as he has blossomed later and is still good for another slam) get on in years, his path will get clearer.  Among his age peers (or slightly older, like Austria's Dominic Thiem) he has a great chance.  He has a more reliable serve than Thiem and a better return (by far) than Kyrgios.  Struggles with movement and may unfortunately grow still taller, thus hampering his movement even more, and also has a very poor netgame. The latter didn't hurt Djokovic but movement is very important in modern tennis. If only Zverev could move like Thiem...

I am also excited about Canada's Dennis Shapovalov, a great talent again.  Hopefully, these guys can make up for the relative mediocrity of Dimitrov/Nishikori/Cilic/Raonic (only one slam between them to date).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12