Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedComposing microtonal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 10:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I don't believe that Music Theory (and thus the physics of sound) is that inexact or random.

It's not inexact or random, but it's also not a science or even literally a set of rules.

It's a combination of (1) a set of analysis tools--so that you have a convenient way to conceptualize and talk about the possibilities of musical materials, and (2) a study of common practices relative to historical and particular cultural milieus.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 17:13
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Your comment reminded me of a MIDI interface called the The Samchillian Tip Tip Tip Cheeepeeeee (silly name, I know) that I read about probably a dozen years ago. It was developed by Leon Gruenbaum, a musician with a degree in mathematics, and is usable with a regular computer keyboard, though he uses a customized ergonomic Kinesis keyboard as his controller.

Very cool.  The video should be watched to fully grasp how it works. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 08:26
I have been able to experiment with two keyboards a bit, with one of the two having the pitch wheel at a fixed point somewhere between two semi-tones using adhesive tape. I like how a sudden change in pitch (microtonally) can have a big effect, sometimes very "relaxing". Here's a short demo with a Prokofiev piece (and a short improv intro): https://soundcloud.com/pascal-dool/prokofiev-microtonal/s-Z8lH4
(Please excuse me, the keyboards don't play very well so I made a few errors and some notes are left out)

And an edited version of a part of The Sun Ate (from my latest album): https://soundcloud.com/pascal-dool/the-sun-ate-mcrtnl/s-71zh9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123